No announcement yet.

Changing damper plate- need help ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I did mine (Malibu Sunsetter LXi) I found it easiest to disconnect exhaust etc, lift the whole unit (transmission and motor) by using a Harbor Freight engine crane and lifting/rotating the whole unit. This gave me enough working room to lay some 2x4 pieces on the floor of the bilge and then rest the whole unit on those pieces. This gave me enough working room to get two small bottle jacks, supported by larger “stingers of 2x6” laid in the bilge floor, underneath the motor and lift/rotate it completely up (front motor mounts were attached the whole time). Next I separated and removed the transmission and was off to the races. I ended up going all the way to a few rear motor seal. Feel free to PM and I’ll help or talk you into confidence if it helps.

Comment

Done mine a few different ways - the easiest is to put two strips of plywood on either side of the engine, use a tall jack stand on one side and a floor jack on the other, go across with a 4x4 then wrap a chain down and secure to engine and jack the one side till chain tight. Then remove trans mounts and give it another couple pumps.

Comment

Can I wrap around the riser and lift from there? I have a hoist so I hat to try and put jacks in the boat and such.

Comment

Moving forward
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketboy View Post
            Can I wrap around the riser and lift from there? I have a hoist so I hat to try and put jacks in the boat and such.
            Yes but its best to sling the engine itself if you have a lift eye.

I've done it with a bottle jack under one side manifold - its not ideal.

I always pull the trans and bell housing as separate parts for ease of manipulation.

Comment

I bolted in the back of the heads and lifted - worked awesome.

Thanks for all the help- nice and quiet now.

Only problem I changed riser gasket as long as I had it out and one was leaking a little……… now I got bigger leaks…….. ��

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketboy View Post
                I bolted in the back of the heads and lifted - worked awesome.

Thanks for all the help- nice and quiet now.

Only problem I changed riser gasket as long as I had it out and one was leaking a little……… now I got bigger leaks…….. ��
                Good deal. I knew you'd get it done.

93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                X