Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Control Cables (shift and throttle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Control Cables (shift and throttle)

Attempted to replace my cables today. My throttle cable has always been a little too stiff, so finally got around to replacing it. I have a 2000 Prostar 195.

Here are a bunch of points that may help others:

- To remove the driver side panel I had to remove 4 bolts with an 11 mm deep socket. You don't have to remove the throttle lever or anything on the driver facing side, just the 4 bolts in the back and the panel will move away enough that you can access the cables.

- Definitely need to remove the driver's seat to be able to get at things, just 4 screws to do this. If you remove the seat cushion there are holes in the seat that the screw driver fits through.

- Also needed to remove the rear seat and back, dog house (engine cover), and all the floor panels, gives you good access to help push the cables through. Its also a great time to clean the floor panels with soap and a good brush. I also took the opportunity to remove the deteriorated foam from the engine cover and put new foam in, a much easier job than the cabling. I used the "Sound-Absorbing Sheet Easy-to-Clean, Adhesive Backing, 54" WD X 1" Thickness, 8 ft. Length" (5692T49) from McMaster-Carr. I only needed 5 feet of it.

- Look at the code on your old cables to determine the length. One end of the cable will have a marking on it with a code. The last two digits of the first code are the length on the Teleflex cables. For example, mine were "CC63324", so that means a 24 foot cable. Unfortunately I was told I needed an 18 foot cable and realized it was too short after feeding it all the way through the boat. The Prostar 195 uses a 24 foot throttle cable and a 29 foot shift cable.

- Since I ended up feeding the new cable through and then back out again I had experience feeding cables from the helm and also from the engine end. I think it was easier to pull the cable out the helm, so I will do it this way when I get the proper 24 foot cable.

- I used duct tape to tape the old and new cables together. I am going to look for a screw coupler and just attach that to both cable ends, that should work well.

New cable arrives in a couple of days and I will attempt this all over again, but hopefully in half the time now that I know what I am doing.
    Last edited by airwear; 08-04-2021, 11:20 PM.

Any pictures?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by airwear View Post
      Attempted to replace my cables today. My throttle cable has always been a little too stiff, so finally got around to replacing it. I have a 2000 Prostar 195.

Here are a bunch of points that may help others:

- To remove the driver side panel I had to remove 4 bolts with an 11 mm deep socket. You don't have to remove the throttle lever or anything on the driver facing side, just the 4 bolts in the back and the panel will move away enough that you can access the cables.

- Definitely need to remove the driver's seat to be able to get at things, just 4 screws to do this. If you remove the seat cushion there are holes in the seat that the screw driver fits through.

- Also needed to remove the rear seat and back, dog house (engine cover), and all the floor panels, gives you good access to help push the cables through. Its also a great time to clean the floor panels with soap and a good brush. I also took the opportunity to remove the deteriorated foam from the engine cover and put new foam in, a much easier job than the cabling. I used the "Sound-Absorbing Sheet Easy-to-Clean, Adhesive Backing, 54" WD X 1" Thickness, 8 ft. Length" (5692T49) from McMaster-Carr. I only needed 5 feet of it.

- Look at the code on your old cables to determine the length. One end of the cable will have a marking on it with a code. The last two digits of the first code are the length on the Teleflex cables. For example, mine were "CC63324", so that means a 24 foot cable. Unfortunately I was told I needed an 18 foot cable and realized it was too short after feeding it all the way through the boat. The Prostar 195 uses a 24 foot throttle cable and a 29 foot shift cable.

- Since I ended up feeding the new cable through and then back out again I had experience feeding cables from the helm and also from the engine end. I think it was easier to pull the cable out the helm, so I will do it this way when I get the proper 24 foot cable.

- I used duct tape to tape the old and new cables together. I am going to look for a screw coupler and just attach that to both cable ends, that should work well.

New cable arrives in a couple of days and I will attempt this all over again, but hopefully in half the time now that I know what I am doing.
      How'd it work?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 88falcon View Post
        How'd it work?

The more I think about your scenario, I think "length" is your issue. It's almost a Mr. Obvious conclusion.

Be sure and order new end connectors and cotter pins. In particular the ones at the controller end of the cables. Cables do not come with those.

Attached Files
        93 190
        (safe click)
        John 14:6
        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
          The more I think about your scenario, I think "length" is your issue. It's almost a Mr. Obvious conclusion.

Be sure and order new end connectors and cotter pins. In particular the ones at the controller end of the cables. Cables do not come with those.

Yeah I think so as well. I was taking it all apart to clean and grease the controller and to inspect and replace the connector ends when I decided to thoroughly look into the issue of the cables. I had never really given it any thought in the passed, seemed to work well enough. But now knowing how the MV-3 controller is suppose to function their is definitely a problem. Either that or the cable has something so wrong it that it's not allowing for full travel. I plan on calling Ron Tanis tomorrow to run it by him and give him some business.

Thanks

Comment

Here is a picture of the driver side panel and where the 4 bolts are to remove. Note the 4th one just made it into the bottom of the picture frame.
            Attached Files

Comment

So after replacing with the proper length new cable, throttle is smoother, but only 25% better. When the cable is not attached at the driver control end, it doesn't move smoothly, so I think the control arm mechanism is the bigger problem. I tried to grease where I could but that hasn't helped much. My brother's 205 control you could move with just 1 finger, very easy and very smooth.

Anyone with other ideas?
              Attached Files

Comment

So after replacing with the proper length new cable, throttle is smoother, but only 25% better.

Anyone with other ideas?
                Ron ??? I kid.

To be clear, you have the MV-2 or the MV-3 controller? I have manuals on both.

Have you disassembled to clean the inside? They get nasty over the course of time.

Attached Files
                93 190
                (safe click)
                (safe click)

Comment

I have not taken it fully apart, maybe that is next on my list then. Can you send me both manuals. I am not sure which controller was used in the 2000 Prostar.

Comment

I have not taken it fully apart, maybe that is next on my list then. Can you send me both manuals. I am not sure which controller was used in the 2000 Prostar.
                    I have the MV-3 on another machine. MV-2 is attached below. I think yours is the MV-2.

Attached Files
                    93 190
                    (safe click)
                    (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                    X