'96 ProStar weaves when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 ProStar weaves when driving

I'm helping a buddy in my ski club with his '96 ProStar. When driving and pulling a skier, the boat tends to lean left to right as the skier pulls. When this happens, it does change direction a little bit, but more so the problem is that the boat is leaning first to port and then to starboard while basically holding a straight line.

It's become a handful to drive in the slalom course.

Was wondering if any adjustments are needed on the skegs, etc. We did try adding 60lbs of weight to the front and that didn't help.

Thanks for your help.

sounds normal to me for that boat. but i think... i may be wrong... that adding weight to the front would decrease your tracking.

If you're new to driving a course, you're only noticing it because you have guide buoys vs none on open water. I suggest trying a trained driver clinic through USAWS when one pops up near you,
    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

I have a 97 PS205 and ended up replacing the steering cable due to steering play. If the boat is set up correctly at 35 mph the boat will want to turn if you let go of the wheel. Some people grind the rudder to neutralize the steering but that makes it sloppy if you are pulling a good skier.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
        sounds normal to me for that boat. but i think... i may be wrong... that adding weight to the front would decrease your tracking.

If you're new to driving a course, you're only noticing it because you have guide buoys vs none on open water. I suggest trying a trained driver clinic through USAWS when one pops up near you,
        Adding weight definitely made it worse.

I've been a course driver for about 20 years. Our other five boats don't have any issues holding a straight line. (MB Sports 190, Malibu Response, '91 SN, a 2005 PS and a 2008 PS).

Comment

Originally posted by blackcreek View Post
          I have a 97 PS205 and ended up replacing the steering cable due to steering play. If the boat is set up correctly at 35 mph the boat will want to turn if you let go of the wheel. Some people grind the rudder to neutralize the steering but that makes it sloppy if you are pulling a good skier.
          We'll be checking steering and rudder play.

I'm familiar with grinding the rudder as I tuned mine on my MB Sports to give just a slight pull to the right. And I love it now.

I'll report back what we find.

Thanks!!

Comment

Start with have someone hold the steering wheel still and wiggle the rudder back and forth and visually observe for side to side motion.

On my old prostars the steering support swivel had never been greased by the previous owner and this leads to a lot of wear there. If that wears there will be a shift of the rudder back and forth that makes the back feel very loose.

Comment

Originally posted by RickR90s View Post
              We'll be checking steering and rudder play.

I'm familiar with grinding the rudder as I tuned mine on my MB Sports to give just a slight pull to the right. And I love it now.

I'll report back what we find.

Thanks!!
              Rick;
              Let us know what you find. Interesting information and observation you are providing given your experiences.

Comment

Youre describing what I call "surfing". What speeds are you skiing?

Comment

Just asking here...has the boat been stored on it's factory trailer or on a lift? If on a lift, do the bunks match the trailer runners in length and separation?

Hopefully its just cable and rudder. If the cable is loose and rudder is tuned neutral, I can see where driving could be squirrely.
                  1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Working...
                  X