No announcement yet.

1994 Prostar 205 LT1 overheating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be skiing for 6 more weeks that do the dirty deed.. and fall into my hatred of late fall thru late spring. [emoji1787][emoji13]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
      I will be skiing for 6 more weeks that do the dirty deed.. and fall into my hatred of late fall thru late spring. [emoji1787][emoji13]

I wish I had October (doable in TN) but rotator cuff repair in early Oct. for me.

Best to you on the rest of the season.

93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        I wish I had October (doable in TN) but rotator cuff repair in early Oct. for me.

Best to you on the rest of the season.

Best wishes on a quick recovery lad.

sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Would anyone be able to post pictures of the locations of the 2 thermostats? Otherwise, later I can take a few shots of my motor and maybe someone could point them out for me. I want to try to do it myself but I also don't want to screw anything up.

Comment

Your comment about operating the boat in reverse indicates an impeller issue. The prop will push water towards the raw water intake under the boat in reverse.
            Before you tear everything apart, take it one piece at a time. Check/replace your impeller first. You can also test the output of the raw water pump by attaching a 1 1/2in dia hose to the pump outlet and observing the output when you start it cold. This will tell you if it's working or not. It should draw water almost immediately and provide a full, steady stream when running. Get a long enough hose so you can place the end outside of the gunnel. Hose can be got at Menards, Home Depot, Lowes, etc... Nothing special needed, in-fact I prefer the clear hose so you can see if the pump is drawing air.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Triangular housing is lower thermostat, partial round housing at the top is the upper thermostat, under air filter.

Do you boat where there is a lot of debris in the water...just my .02, not a big fan of strainers but that's just my own personal opinion. Hope you get it solved.
              Last edited by bret; 08-31-2021, 04:28 PM.
              1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Originally posted by Rbrower190 View Post
                Would anyone be able to post pictures of the locations of the 2 thermostats? Otherwise, later I can take a few shots of my motor and maybe someone could point them out for me. I want to try to do it myself but I also don't want to screw anything up.
                One is on top of the engine, just under the throttle body, and the other is in the triangle piece in front of engine where the hoses go into the sides.
                Attached Files
                - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by Ski-me View Post
                  One is on top of the engine, just under the throttle body, and the other is in the triangle piece in front of engine where the hoses go into the sides.
                  Perfect. Thanks

93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to start by replacing the impeller next chance I get. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for both thermostats? Also, are there gaskets that need to be ordered too? Or do I just take the housings apart put in the new thermostat and put the housing back together? Thank you again! Ross

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to start by replacing the impeller next chance I get. Does anyone happen to know the part numbers for both thermostats? Also, are there gaskets that need to be ordered too? Or do I just take the housings apart put in the new thermostat and put the housing back together? Thank you again! Ross
                      Follow this link in a reverse engineered direction. This is the 160 deg F and the note at the bottom of the page refers you back to the (other) 143 deg F. O-rings and Gaskets are required. You can find the 143 deg F here.

93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Replaced the Thermostats

Finally got around to replacing the thermostats. Very straight forward. Found part of an old impeller lodged in the 160 degree thermostat. Would that cause intermittent overheating? Thanks for all the advice. Now I need to find time to water test it.

Comment

Yes, that can certainly cause some problems! Hopefully the water test goes good. The top t-stat has a hole drilled in it correct? Just want to be sure you got the right one.
                          - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

Finally got around to replacing the thermostats. Very straight forward. Found part of an old impeller lodged in the 160 degree thermostat. Would that cause intermittent overheating? Thanks for all the advice. Now I need to find time to water test it.
                            Yes ..
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                            X