Plugs keep fouling - any thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prostar205 View Post

The fuel rail is going to a radiator shop near me to be put in an ultrasonic cleaning bath. The shop won't do aluminum rails because the solution they use will destroy AL. I think they quoted me $125. A new fuel rail sells for $600 plus tax. The slug inside of it has the consistency of coffee grounds mixed with peanut butter. The company that cleaned and reconditioned the fuel injectors was amazed the engine would even run. They took Before and After flow readings on each injector. The Before readings were 0, 84, 67, 59, 12, 42, 84 and 94. The After readings are now 93, 90, 92, 93, 91, 92, 93 and 94.
    I'd be willing to bet you have found the issue. Good find indeed.

I have no idea what would have caused that type of sludge in the rails.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Well thats just crazy. Do you regularly use any fuel additives like Stabil?

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
        Well thats just crazy. Do you regularly use any fuel additives like Stabil?
        I only use Stabil once a year during my winterization process. I don't use any other additives (fuel injector cleaners, etc...) in this boat. This looks like its been building up for years.
        2002, X30, L-18, Red Metal Flake (the possessed boat)

Comment

What a crazy find. Hope this concludes your saga so you can get back on the water come spring.

In other news, I guess I will stop using pancake syrup as a fuel additive

Comment

where do you get your gas?? that sounds suspicious...
            how dirty was the filter when you changed out the fuel pump?
            this is crazy... is it possible you got a bit of diesel somehow (not sure if that would cause this though)?
            I know this is a long shot but did the boat ever have MTBE gas ? Back before it was banned there was a bunch of issues with the move from MTBE to ethanol... Lots of old reading on that ....
            read your other post... maybe you should have the gas tested? sugar does seem suspect too.... and that sucks more....
            Last edited by curver900; 01-04-2022, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Sugar in gas tanks causing issues is pretty much a myth. Sugar doesn't dissolve in gasoline.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a33237683/sugar-in-gas-tank/

Black crap in
              fuel systems is often some type of decomposed rubber product. Could have come from something in the boat, or could have been a problem at a gas station or marina.
              -----------------------------------
              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                where do you get your gas?? that sounds suspicious...
                how dirty was the filter when you changed out the fuel pump?
                this is crazy... is it possible you got a bit of diesel somehow (not sure if that would cause this though)?
                I know this is a long shot but did the boat ever have MTBE gas ? Back before it was banned there was a bunch of issues with the move from MTBE to ethanol... Lots of old reading on that ....
                read your other post... maybe you should have the gas tested? sugar does seem suspect too.... and that sucks more....
                For the 18 years I have owned this boat, most (75%) of the gas used in the boat has come from my marina (92 Octane, Ethanol free).
                When I changed out the fuel pump in Sept. 2020, the filter was extremely clean for it being the original pump and filter (July 2001).
                No way diesel got in the tank. My marina doesn't carry diesel.
                Not sure what MTBE gas is.
                Someone mentioned it could be coming from the fuel lines. When I pull the fuel pump, I intend to inspect the fuel lines and tank.

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                  I know this is a long shot but did the boat ever have MTBE gas ?
                  Don't all marinas non-ethanol gas use MTBE ?

Found this on the web:
                  https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...-where-you-are
                  Last edited by dpb185; 01-04-2022, 04:54 PM.
                  2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post

Doesn't all marina non-ethanol gas use MTBE ?

Found this on the web:
                    Thanks for the article. Interesting read. I'm not sure if my marina's gas has MTBE added or not. However, I have definitely not mixed non-ethanol and E10 gas in this boat for 10+ years and then only when I go on vacation with the boat. Needless to say, I will be a lot mindful of this in the future. I do plan on cleaning everything starting with the fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel rails and injectors.

The fuel rail is at a radiator shop getting ultrasonically cleaned. The fuel injectors have already been cleaned and rebuilt and they are now back to Chevrolet specs.

Comment

• I'm not sure it's as dire as they say in that article. I've had to put a tank of E10 in my Prostar before. The tank was empty but not dry and I ran out the entire tank before putting non-ethanol back in it. I have not have any issues.
                      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

• It looks like rubber fuel line break down from ethanol as others have said. If so, this did not happen from one tank or in a short time.
                        OH-IO!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpb185 View Post

Don't all marinas non-ethanol gas use MTBE ?

Found this on the web:
                          MTBE was banned way back in 2009?? something like that...I did a bunch of research on it because I bought a boat from CA and MTBE was something that caused allot of issues in the marina world...

if the filter was clean that could be because you didn't bet below 1/2 a tank very often.. the filter doesn't come into play until you are 1/2 a tank or under IIRC
                          If it's not the gas then it has to be something between the pump and the injectors... i would suspect as others the rubber has goon poof..

it's still possible to get contaminated gas... but what you have doesn't appear to be... if it just happened then possible... I hope it is your rubber lines and I mean that in a good way so we know what it is... I hope you find it...

Comment

• Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                            I'm not sure it's as dire as they say in that article. I've had to put a tank of E10 in my Prostar before. The tank was empty but not dry and I ran out the entire tank before putting non-ethanol back in it. I have not have any issues.
                            MTBE only reacts with ethanol if my memory serves me right... it was only a thought as there were many issues for people back in the day.. and i could see if it was a problem before, but I would assume that the bad results should have already occurred not 18 years later.. but it could have started the rubber breakdown? i don't know spit balling

Comment

• More in the fuel saga. I removed the fuel lines and the fuel pump. I installed a brand new fuel pump back in Sept 2020. This pump is so full of crap and debris I am amazed the boat even ran. Appears I’ve been getting same really bad gas.

Here are some pictures. Let me know people’s thoughts. There are pictures of inside the tank and the gas that drained out of the pump.

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by prostar205 View Post
                                More in the fuel saga. I removed the fuel lines and the fuel pump. I installed a brand new fuel pump back in Sept 2020. This pump is so full of crap and debris I am amazed the boat even ran. Appears I’ve been getting same really bad gas.

Here are some pictures. Let me know people’s thoughts. There are pictures of inside the tank and the gas that drained out of the pump.
                                Looks similar to algae in diesel. What the heck? That is nasty stuff. There is an old thread here (or maybe the last MC forum) that talked about a place that sold fuel that ruined his engine in a similar manner. I think if I recall correctly, that fuel outlet ended up paying for the damages, etc. That fellow had documented evidence to some degree...enough that he was awarded restitution.

Geez-O-Pete, that is nasty to be coming from a storage fuel tank. Those are fairly well regulated (I think) for quality check points.

I got nothing except a surprised look.

93 190
                                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                                X