Raw water pump gasket source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw water pump gasket source?

As I was wintering the boat (sad...) I removed the cover from the raw water pump and pulled out the impeller. When I removed the cover, the foam gasket tore.

What does everyone else do when they remove this cover? Do you put a new gasket in every time? Use RTV? If you do put in a new gasket, it seems like they are $4-6 from skidim or others, but need to add shipping. Does anybody have a favorite source?

Thanks.

I use an approach I learned from my grandfather's auto garage. There are really only a few type of gasket material. And you can buy those types in rolls of bulk material. As long as you have the material on hand, you can make any gasket in just a couple of minutes work. It's very easy when you have one of the sides of the parts on hand. You lay the bulk material against the part and use pressure to cause creases in the material. Then you just cut it out.
    -----------------------------------
    Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
    Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
    Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

Originally posted by robadele View Post
      As I was wintering the boat (sad...) I removed the cover from the raw water pump and pulled out the impeller. When I removed the cover, the foam gasket tore.

What does everyone else do when they remove this cover? Do you put a new gasket in every time? Use RTV? If you do put in a new gasket, it seems like they are $4-6 from skidim or others, but need to add shipping. Does anybody have a favorite source?

Thanks.
      I use Marine Parts Source dot com mostly for the shipping reason you mentioned. D.I.M. is not shipping friendly.

I also have multiple gaskets on hand for this reason. I put in a new gasket every time, but I am not an annual impeller-changer kind of guy. Just no need for it that I can see (other than the obvious generic argument).

I think a sealant would seep into the inside upon reinstalling the cover, but that is just a consideration.

Call the place and they will hook you up without a ton of searching their site. Look at the make of the pump on the cover of the pump. Should be a Johnson pump and Sierra may have an equivalent replacement part.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-05-2021, 02:27 PM.
      93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I would agree that I should be able to cut / make a gasket on my own for this simple use, but I'd rather buy one and not have to test / fail / re-test a gasket material.

Marine Parts Source dot com was outrageous on shipping at $12.

My inboard marine dot com was much more reasonable at $5.75 per gasket and post office 1st class shipping for $4. I ordered 2 and total was $15.

This is Johnson pump part number 01-45315, Inmar part number 68-5008, Sherwood part number 19251, PCM part number RM0269. All the same thing.

Comment

i replace the gasket, but youre right shipping is outrageous for a single one. i seem to remember finding a place every couple years that has a decent deal on the gaskets - bakes, skidim, whoever is having a sale or something at that moment - and stocking up on a handful.

for some reason i thought amazon sold just the gaskets but it doesnt look like they do.

Comment

...This is Johnson pump part number 01-45315, Inmar part number 68-5008, Sherwood part number 19251, PCM part number RM0269. All the same thing.
            Can't be all the same. The Sherwood and Johnson pumps are entirely different configurations. Am I missing something here (not to doubt your word)?

Typically Indmar accommodates the Johnson RWP and the PCM accepts the Sherwood RWP. I think (without looking) the face plates are a little different. I could easily be wrong.

93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
              Can't be all the same. The Sherwood and Johnson pumps are entirely different configurations. Am I missing something here (not to doubt your word)?

Typically Indmar accommodates the Johnson RWP and the PCM accepts the Sherwood RWP. I think (without looking) the face plates are a little different. I could easily be wrong.

Your question is quite valid. The site I ordered from them cross listed them. Other sites cross listed the Indmar and Johnson pump numbers only. It could be possible that Sherwood is selling the Johnson pump with a sherwood number for some small percentage of applications. While most Sherwood pumps look different than the Johnson pumps, this one described as the sherwood crusader P105 looks really similar to the Johnson:

https://marinepartssource.com/marine...BoCRvAQAvD_BwE

Comment

Your question is quite valid. The site I ordered from them cross listed them. Other sites cross listed the Indmar and Johnson pump numbers only. It could be possible that Sherwood is selling the Johnson pump with a sherwood number for some small percentage of applications. While most Sherwood pumps look different than the Johnson pumps, this one described as the sherwood crusader P105 looks really similar to the Johnson:

https://marinepartssource.com/marine...BoCRvAQAvD_BwE
                Got it. Thanks for the additional info and the link. I see the setup now.

93 190
                (safe click)

Comment

I use Marine Parts Source dot com mostly for the shipping reason you mentioned. D.I.M. is not shipping friendly.

I also have multiple gaskets on hand for this reason. I put in a new gasket every time, but I am not an annual impeller-changer kind of guy. Just no need for it that I can see (other than the obvious generic argument).

I think a sealant would seep into the inside upon reinstalling the cover, but that is just a consideration.

Call the place and they will hook you up without a ton of searching their site. Look at the make of the pump on the cover of the pump. Should be a Johnson pump and Sierra may have an equivalent replacement part.

Water you dont change impeller every year? Oh pshaw... your an influencer here... its a new impeller every year period [emoji86][emoji87][emoji85]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                    Water you dont change impeller every year? Oh pshaw... your an influencer here... its a new impeller every year period [emoji86][emoji87][emoji85]

I just don't. Old school here has me ingrained in, run it as long as it works. You gotta' remember I started learning my bad habits a long time ago.

However, (from the pshaw) I may succumb to swap every other year to change the errors of my ways; thanks to your simple pshaw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiphat.gif
Views:	6
Size:	1,011 Bytes
ID:	2413283

93 190
                    (safe click)

Comment

I just don't. Old school here has me ingrained in, run it as long as it works. You gotta' remember I started learning my bad habits a long time ago.

However, (from the pshaw) I may succumb to swap every other year to change the errors of my ways; thanks to your simple pshaw.

[ATTACH]206417[/ATTACH]

Keep ur impeller more than a season.. it will be just fine [emoji41][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Not mine

sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Mine has been in for many years, just pulled it out today, because I'm trying to change the rear seal. Still looks perfect, will install my new spare, and keep the old one for an emergency spare. Still have not figured out the rear seal. All I have done so far is butcher it. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't put a lot of hours on my boat any more, probably never did compared to some people, maybe that's why it lasted for many years. I always pay attention to the temperature gauge and the beeper. Cruising fast, it is 150 to 160. Cars run at 200 plus. If you park for a rest, and restart, the lake water in the engine heats up. My beeper goes off around 180, so I sit for 10 seconds and it goes right down once fresh water starts going into the engine. If it doesn't go down, you should probably shut it off.

Comment

That looks like a sherwood, not a Johnson? If I'm wrong, correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by bcl View Post
                            Mine has been in for many years, just pulled it out today, because I'm trying to change the rear seal. Still looks perfect, will install my new spare, and keep the old one for an emergency spare. Still have not figured out the rear seal. All I have done so far is butcher it. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't put a lot of hours on my boat any more, probably never did compared to some people, maybe that's why it lasted for many years. I always pay attention to the temperature gauge and the beeper. Cruising fast, it is 150 to 160. Cars run at 200 plus. If you park for a rest, and restart, the lake water in the engine heats up. My beeper goes off around 180, so I sit for 10 seconds and it goes right down once fresh water starts going into the engine. If it doesn't go down, you should probably shut it off.
                            For my time and efforts and the cost of parts, I use a new assembly (impeller is included). Plug and play. Your call.

Search the part number on the cover of your Johnson pump here.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-17-2021, 07:24 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                            X