'96 Prostar LT1 Fuel filters, pump, injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 Prostar LT1 Fuel filters, pump, injectors

Hey all - I wanted to share some of my data with the group, since it took me a little while to find this information, and I wanted to update older information out there and pay it forward, in the hopes that it'll save someone else the time I spent.
    I had taken last year off from boating for a lot of reasons, but coming into this season I could not get the boat to start, and recognizing that all but one cylinder was dry. Since my boat is a 1996 (with 600 hours), and I've NEVER done anything fuel-wise, I decided to just go through the system and replace/update everything - mostly to avoid getting stuck OR having to do it later. And I wanted to share the parts I replaced (especially those that have replacement options where I couldn't find original stuff, or anything not rebuilt):
    1.) Fuel Filters - Main filter = NAPA FIL 3481, filter near tank = NAPA FIL 3482
    2.) Fuel pump (original I believe is Carter P60962, which is obsolete and no longer available). I used a Quantum HFP-706 from Quantum Fuel Systems (available on Amazon or via their website). Direct replacement with same threaded female fittings, exact fit.
    3.) Fuel injectors - anything OEM is EOL - you can find refurbished out there, my engine had a mix of OEM and some replacement (I think Rochester may be the OEM company). I replaced with Accel Performance Injectors, #150820 (available on the Holley website), which is a 24lb/hr injector that I believe is factory spec, from what I could find. I did not want to deal with any retuning.
    4.) Fuel Injector Pressure Regulator - Delphi FP10003, available on Rock Auto

Net, all pretty easy replacements, engine fired up immediately after priming the fuel rail (turn key and listen for pump, turn off, turn back on to fill the rail). Pretty easy to find YouTube videos on replacing the injectors for an LT1. Hope this helps save someone what I went through.
    Pro Tip(s) - use fuel line thread seal, check for leaks, have an extinguisher handy for the first crank. Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."

Nice job... exact fit and a bit of re plumb correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Everything exact fit. Fuel pump has the same bends and design. Injectors use the same clip that's already in your rail (pay attention to the GM card they put in the box, they recommend using a particular clip slot for GM installations, and of course this is GM). Filters and pressure regulator exact size, fit, and threads. Could NOT be easier (and no car engine firewall to get your hands around). 20x easier than if it was in a Corvette.
      Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

P60962 has to fittings on bottom of pump the one u listed only has one.

sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

no, actually has 2 that come in from the bottom. One is at an angle, the other is straight in. This is the link and pic:

https://www.highflowfuel.com/qfs-oem...-pump-hfp-706/
          Attached Files
          Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Here's a picture of an old Carter P60962. You have to move the adapters over, but the input/outputs are the same.

By the way, if you have a sharp eye, you'll notice the electric connector is actually on the opposite site on the Quantum one. Pretty easy, there's plenty of wire slack to plug it in on the opposite side on the top by the single output.
            Attached Files
            Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

First of all, GREAT find if this is a true, like for like fuel pump swap for the LT1. Lots of discussions on converting other ones, etc, but nothing as a direct, Carter replacement.

Thanks for the research and real world proof it works!

Currently, Amazon does not show it.
              - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

I added the direct link above for Quantum (which as a company is based in Lake Forest, CA - 30 minutes from my house). I have it installed, and running fine. I'm not an endorsement of any kind, just passing along what I found, and saying I've bought it, installed it, and have been running flawlessly with it for about 5 lake outings so far. Agreed, I spent a lot of time trying to find options, did NOT want to buy something used on EBay, and this was what my research found. Quantum shows it as a replacement as well for the Carter - and so far, so good!
                Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

So awesome and only $100

Book marked the page

Comment

If you get to the point of needing/waiting one, check back in with me and I'll give you any updates from this time to that - hopefully I'm still happy with it (I'm sure it'll be solid). I'll post up a picture of it installed in a bit, on this thread, next time I'm at my cabin and can snap it. Thanks Mike
                    Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Pump same for ltr? In a 2001 star
                      2001 MasterCraft X-Star L
                      LTR 330.

Comment

hey DuraStar, I can't honestly say. I only researched for my boat. But if you know what your current pump is (or should be), try the link I provided for Quantum and go on their website and see what you can find out. You'll likely have better luck trying to find a replacement for whatever pump (brand/model) you have now than try and get them to help based on your boat. But worth a try either way (they have a LOT of replacement fuel pumps on their site). Good luck.
                        Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Originally posted by DuraStar View Post
                          Pump same for ltr? In a 2001 star
                          If you have an external fuel pump it is.. iirc.. i beleive in tank pumps showed up in 1999 2000?

Comment

currently Unavailable Scamazon and Quantum.

But, $40.
                            https://www.issdsueday.com/index.php...ucts_id=648519

Not sure about the site...
                            1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

photos of Quantum fuel pump installed, as promised earlier.
                              Attached Files
                              Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Comment

Working...
                              X