Holley 4160 Carburetor hard starting only when cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holley 4160 Carburetor hard starting only when cold

I bought the Holley 4160 new last Spring, directly from Holley. It runs perfect when warm, and it even starts good when you’ve let it sit for a couple hours, but if you let it sit overnight, then try to crank it, it’s very hard to start.

The choke works, the choke blade goes all the way open when warm and it has 12 volts.

I’ve tried adjusting the choke several times and it doesn’t seem to change things much.

Today, I gave it two pumps of throttle before cranking and it took forever to start. Choke blade is closed when cold and came open when it warmed up.

Is there anyone that has any suggestions? I’d really appreciate it!

If you bought it directly from Holley, why not ask them? Maybe you already have but I’d assume they have some level of tech support available. What’s crazy is you just described my carb’s behavior. And it’s 30 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tockit View Post
      I bought the Holley 4160 new last Spring, directly from Holley. It runs perfect when warm, and it even starts good when you’ve let it sit for a couple hours, but if you let it sit overnight, then try to crank it, it’s very hard to start.

The choke works, the choke blade goes all the way open when warm and it has 12 volts.

I’ve tried adjusting the choke several times and it doesn’t seem to change things much.

Put the choke back in the middle setting, as was.

Today, I gave it two pumps of throttle before cranking and it took forever to start. Choke blade is closed when cold and came open when it warmed up.

Is there anyone that has any suggestions? I’d really appreciate it!
      Do you have the 32 year old OEM coil installed? Electronic ignition or points in the distributor?

Do you happen to have the specs...jet size, power valve, etc?

Looking into the body of the carburetor, what does the fuel output look like...stream, spray, drips, little fuel at all?

Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-14-2021, 03:49 AM.
      93 190
      John 14:6
      2 Peter 1:3–8
      Matthew 6:1-4
      Romans 10:9

Comment

I wouldn't assume the carb is the only possible cause.
        -----------------------------------
        Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
        Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
        Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

It has a Pertronix Flamethrower II electronic ignition with an Edelbrock Performer intake and a 2 inch spacer. The carb has the jets, power valve, etc that came in it new from Holley last May.

It runs perfect in every other parameter except a cold soaked start.

Comment

timing?

Comment

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
              timing?
              Timing is per spec. 10 degrees BTDC

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                Do you have the 32 year old OEM coil installed? Electronic ignition or points in the distributor?

Do you happen to have the specs...jet size, power valve, etc?

Looking into the body of the carburetor, what does the fuel output look like...stream, spray, drips, little fuel at all?

I don’t have the specs...jet size, power valve, etc, and I haven’t looked at the fuel output pattern closely. I guess I need to do that.

Comment

I don’t have the specs...jet size, power valve, etc, and I haven’t looked at the fuel output pattern closely. I guess I need to do that.
                  Merely additional points of reference for trouble shooting.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-14-2021, 10:04 PM.
                  93 190

Comment

It has a Pertronix Flamethrower II electronic ignition with an Edelbrock Performer intake and a 2 inch spacer. The carb has the jets, power valve, etc that came in it new from Holley last May.

It runs perfect in every other parameter except a cold soaked start.
                    Also, I mount the carburetor directly to the Ed manifold. Two inches seems a bit much. I chose to forego the OEM 1" spacer on the Ed manifold.

US $0.02

Attached Files
                    Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-14-2021, 10:15 PM.
                    93 190

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                      Also, I mount the carburetor directly to the Ed manifold. Two inches seems a bit much. I chose to forego the OEM 1" spacer on the Ed manifold.

US $0.02

From what I’ve read, it sounds like you and I have a very similar setup, minus the spacer. Do you pump the throttle on your boat before starting cold?

This cold start problem has me stumped!

Comment

From what I’ve read, it sounds like you and I have a very similar setup, minus the spacer. Do you pump the throttle on your boat before starting cold?

This cold start problem has me stumped!
                        Yes sir I pump the handle a few times but that has always been my M.O. for the carbureted engine. I also have to take into account the PerfectPass to wind and set. Once warm, it starts like a TBI system...with the Arco starter, Pertronix ignition, and a hot coil. Mine does not hesitate on a cold start, just primes itself with a few engine turns then fires right up.

Air idle screws are tweaked for best performance, PCV is good (it rattles) and I do not have a vacuum leak at the base.

Accelerator pump has 0.001" gap, float is set at level, 0.66 jet nozzle that sends a nice fuel spray pattern.

Try tweaking the timing a little for cold start performance and check the advance springs in the bottom of the distributor if you have the OEM distributor.

93 190

Comment

tockit
                          You didn't mention whether you had a flamethower hot coil as well? It has made a big difference on my boat.
                          Starting procedures vary but. I usually pump twice, set throttle to the 2 oclock position. let it crank over 5-7 times. if it doesn't start. pump twice more. set 2 oclock, crank 5-7 revolutions etc... sometimes (sadly) my boat can go weeks without usage. Occasionally it will take a series of three to get it to start. also, warm or cold, my boat seems to start best with the throttle set at the 2 oclock postion. (this whole procedure is also the way I was taught to always started old carb cars, #1 never pump while cranking).
                          One other thought. just a guess. but I wonder if you used the super thick base gasket when mounting your carb? any possibility there is a vacuum leak at the base which seals up as soon as the boat is warm? you can test it as soon as the boat starts with carb cleaner or starting fluid sprayed around the base.

Comment

Easiest is begin with Waterlogged's suggestion. pull off air cleaner and with boat cold and have someone else pump the throttle while looking down the carb. use a flashlight, hold the choke open so you can see. there should be two obvious squirts of fuel.

Comment

Ok, I’m going to be contrary here. What if the problem isn’t too little fuel for a cold start (which is what all the suggestions for pumping the throttle prior to starting are trying to address), and instead is a problem with too little air? Try loosening up the electric choke just a bit so it’s not so aggressively holding the choke plate closed, give the throttle a pump or two, and see if it helps.
                              I love my EFI, but I had a number of balky carbed vehicles when I was younger so have a bit of experience, but nowhere near some of the people on here.
                              1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Working...
                              X