winter project has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter project has begun

Pulled the tranny and flywheel today chasing a fair size oil leak in the bilge. I the main seal good do you have to pull the motor to do an oil pan gasket? the damper plate needs replaced also.
    Attached Files
    Our 2014 X2 is Sold.

Originally posted by dt37803 View Post
    Pulled the tranny and flywheel today chasing a fair size oil leak in the bilge. I the main seal good do you have to pull the motor to do an oil pan gasket? the damper plate needs replaced also.
    Yes, but...

I have seen here (recommended read) where folks have rotated the engine upward and forward on the front mounts but at this point where you are, much easier to lift the engine out and work on it easier (and cleaner).

I have everything you need to lift and repair here at my shop (37763). Can do it in a day's time easy. A hoist and a load spreader bar is all you need.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-12-2021, 10:24 PM.
    93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

As you stated, the rear main is OK. I'd replace it because it is so easy to get to but that is a moot point. It's not broken, don't fix it. I get that since that can be a project within itself.

I will say this...there is one other often overlooked and rarely mentioned (potential) point of failure which is the rear casting plug on the block. It is right there in plain sight, easy access. While you have the engine apart, replace that plug if nothing else. New plug, new baseline for going forward.

Summit Racing should have them.

US $0.02

Attached Files
      93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Working...
      X