Towing with the cover ON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing with the cover ON?

Sold the 06'. Delivering it on Tuesday. I'm gonna be driving 450 miles with it in the northeast. Then I'm turning around with my 07' with the same cover. Anyone have any input on long distance travelling with the MC Ratchet cover? I've heard it can rub on the top deck. Anyone have any advice? Should I use the tent poles?

What about adding some towels between top deck and cover - anyone done this?

Thanks for the input.

Jerry

You'll find the majority of folks here will tow without the cover. The covers abrasive flapping and rubbing can do more harm than good. Having said that if there were a bunch of salt on the road that presents another issue. If it were me I would leave the cover off and go. It will get a little dirty for sure but the alternative is worse.

Good LucK!!

Edit:\

LOVE THE RED !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maristar210
      You'll find the majority of folks here will tow without the cover. The covers abrasive flapping and rubbing can do more harm than good. Having said that if there were a bunch of salt on the road that presents another issue. If it were me I would leave the cover off and go. It will get a little dirty for sure but the alternative is worse.

Good LucK!!

Edit:\

LOVE THE RED !!!!!!!
      I agree, and never tow with the cover.
      Lots of power is good, more is better, too much is just right.

'91 prostar 190

Comment

Jerry, I have towed with the cover for a total of about 3500 miles thus far. I had a fleece "undercover" made for mine, but until I had that made, I used a bunch of blankets to protect the deck. The blankets worked great and should do you fine for the 450 mile journey. Also, I do not tow with the tent poles, they put alot of strain on a small area and I do not like that. Be sure to cinch the side and stern straps on the cover as tight as possible... they really help eliminate the flapping.
        -Cameron
        2007 ProStar 197
        1996 ProStar 190

Comment

i don't like to tow with the cover for the simple fact that i can't see ANYthing behind me... just another thought... i have towed with it on and i would keep the poles up if you insist on pulling with it on as this will reduce the amount of cover that could flap in the wind and tear up as a result of doing so... good luck with the pull it should be a fun one... i've pulled a '93 maristar 225 w/ a '02 yukon xl 350 mi and it was not just a lot of fun making it through a metro area with that big boy
          Current - '07 X2 blue on silver metal flake w/ switch graphics

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
          -Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
          -Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
          -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

I've not had good luck with towing covers. I think it’s best to tow without a cover and try to time the weather for no rain. If you tow with the cover you may be in for damage to your fiberglass which can only be repaired by polishing the damaged fiberglass which will remove a small portion of your fiberglass gel coat.

Comment

I towed most of the time with the cover on, sometimes several hundred miles at a time. Can't think of any problems I had because of it. That boat's gone from my possession now, and I believe the present day owner is a member here, maybe he can chime in and let you know if the boats messed up because of it. Or the cover for that matter.

Comment

Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
                At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by TMCNo1
                  Got any beer with ya!?!?!??
                  -Cameron
                  2007 ProStar 197
                  1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Steves right about the salt issue at this time of year. Myself I've towed both ways but take more "cushion caution" when ones on. But nothing better towing down the road with the MC a shinin for all to drool over (W/out cover!)
                    Be smart, but don't show it!

---------
                    Tim

Comment

Towed my 98 from BAW's in Florida clear across the country to Oregon with out a cover. I might add, without any tie down straps on the back end either.

Just gave her a good scrubbing when I got home and dunked her bad a$$ in the lake!

That didn't sound right...
                      http://www.mastercraft.com/photopost...er=2572&sort=1
                      Need LT-1 parts?
                      OIL FILTER: Factory installed is a Penzoil P23, Afta market brands, AC Delco PF-454 and a Fram PH-13 or PH-30 will work.
                      SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
                      FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
                      89058397 (pump outlet side)
                      IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)

Comment

Originally posted by fintek9
                        But nothing better towing down the road with the MC a shinin for all to drool over (W/out cover!)
                        you mean it was my boat this whole time and not ME!!!
                        Current - '07 X2 blue on silver metal flake w/ switch graphics

MY LED INSTALL... CHECK IT OUT

MY WAKESIDE RIDE

"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
                        -Parks Bonifay

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink... when they wake up that's as good as they're going to feel all day"
                        -Frank Sinatra

"Indecision may, or may not, be my problem"
                        -Jimmy Buffett

Comment

where does a person get a mc wratchet cover from?
                          I DONT SERVE MY COUNTRY JUST FOR ME I SERVE IT TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY AND MINE

Comment

Originally posted by drbesvold1
                            where does a person get a mc wratchet cover from?
                            Buy an '01 or newer and you can get one!
                            -Cameron
                            2007 ProStar 197
                            1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Originally posted by auburnx2
                              you mean it was my boat this whole time and not ME!!!
                              Took me along time to realize this too, It hurt the day it finally dawned on me
                              Be smart, but don't show it!

---------
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X