Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Work did you do on your Mastercraft Today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It has rained for about two weeks straight so I decided to break out the polisher and give the old girl a little shine.

Comment

• Installed an Integrated Bow Sac.
      Attached Files
      I love to travel, but hate to arrive. ~~ A. Einstein
      ---
      Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
      ---
      My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
      ---
      It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

• Originally posted by jschildm View Post
        The pictures are with the 14" tires. Right now it has 215 75 14. I have some tires taken off of a horse trailer that are basically new, I just haven't gotten any 15" rims yet. The new tires are 225 75 15, so they should be a couple inches taller than the original. I need to do some looking at online trailer stores, and maybe the classifieds here to see if there are any original MC 15" rims available.
        Where did you get the lift blocks and, I assume, new u-bolts?
        - Jeff

1994 205, LT1

Comment

• I made the lift blocks and got some custom bent u-bolts from a suspension shop via the local NAPA. I am planning on doing a right-up on it, I just haven't gotten around to it. Got a solid chunk of 1-3/4" x 2" steel from mcmaster about 6 inches long. Cut it into two pieces. Drill and tapped one side to put a bolt in it (mimicks centering bolt on bottom of leaf springs):

Drilled out the other side to mimick the existing block on the axle (centering bolt on leaf spring will fit into it):

Then put it in between the axle and leaf spring:

Probably ought to weld it to the axle for additional stability (I didn't have time, but plan to). In hind sight the chunk of steel was pretty expensive. Tube steel might have worked, but I wanted it to be plenty solid. Also, if higher arched leafs are available, that would have been not much more expensive, easier to do, and arguably safer. Also, this is a 2" lift, and is plenty, perhaps an inch or 1.5" would work about as well. It was kind of a fun project though. I just ordered some wheels today, so I will post pictures when I get the new wheels on.
          Last edited by jschildm; 07-09-2014, 10:37 AM. Reason: Updated Links

Comment

• I would be very careful. If you are adding those blocks because of metal fatigue in the springs you might be asking for trouble.

In the long run, new springs could be cheaper.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...postcount=1138
            -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• I am not replacing them because of the sag of the originals, but rather to put a bigger/better tire on (not readily available on 14" rims) as well as increase prop guard clearance. I may put new springs of the same height on in the near future, just because I assume these are original and have read the wonderful stories of busted springs. I only tow more than 5 miles once a year, so if they let go, hopefully it near by (****mier Luck would guarantee that it won't be).

Comment

• Originally posted by jschildm View Post
                I am not replacing them because of the sag of the originals, but rather to put a bigger/better tire on (not readily available on 14" rims) as well as increase prop guard clearance. I may put new springs of the same height on in the near future, just because I assume these are original and have read the wonderful stories of busted springs. I only tow more than 5 miles once a year, so if they let go, hopefully it near by (****mier Luck would guarantee that it won't be).
                No worries, just wanted to put out the info for ya.
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• In hindsight, if I had known about the custom suspension shop that the local NAPA can get parts from; I likely would have gone with higher arched custom bent springs and killed two birds with one stone. I wouldn't have touched the springs if I hadn't been putting on bigger tires anyways, so i'll call it a wash. I appreciate the info though ... that would definitely make for a bad day.

Comment

• At work 'til 7 today but when I get home I'm doing a new steering cable, sending unit, and bow eye. Wife wants to take the boat out tomorrow for her birthday tomorrow so the steering cable at least has to get done. This is my first boat that I bought a couple weeks ago so wish me luck.

Comment

• Replaced my water pump. Easy job!

Comment

• Originally posted by MI_Corey View Post
                        ...This is my first boat that I bought a couple weeks ago so wish me luck.
                        Good luck!
                        Jeff

Comment

• Working out of town, but when I get home next weekend, I have a bunch of stuff waiting for me that has arrived while I've been gone. New depth sounder with air and water temp. Complete new ballast system (1600lbs and 3 new Johnson pumps) new prop and a new towing cover. Will be bringing the rear hatch into upholstery as I build a new 3 piecer to replace the big existing one piece cover. I'll post some pics when I get done everything. Gonna be a busy weekend!

Comment

• I have been having the same issues others have had with the metal floor board. The hinges from the engine cover have gradually been crushing the floor board so I finally addressed the problem. I found some scrap aluminum and cut a couple of pieces and put them as a backing plate to help spread out some of the pressure from the screws. It seems to have done the trick, but I guess only time will really tell.

Comment

• I like the backing plate idea. Nice.
                              1991 ProStar / 351W with 1:1 Velvet Drive

Comment

• Installed new prop and PSS shaft seal, reinstalled strut, shaft and interior. Ready to go if the rain stays away tomorrow.
                                76 S&S

Comment

Working...
                                X