Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 hour service

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 100 hour service

    Guys,

    My boat is due for a 100 hour service.

    I am going to replace the water pump impeller, oil filter, fuel filter and oil.

    The book says to replace the spark plugs which makes no sense.

    If I did 100 in my car that would would out to be 10,000km. Now I know that plugs in a car are not changed to 50,000 or 100,000 KM.

    Anyway I need to know what every one think and what others have done.

    Please let me know.

    BP

  • #2
    I have about 250 hours on my 07 X2 and plan to change the plugs for the first time this spring. I'm sure I'm going to get fried for saying this but I'm with you on this one. The boat hasn't missed a beat and is still running excellent. I can understand why you might have changed the plugs on older boats with points and such but with FI and computer controlled ignition it wouldn't seem to make sense. At this point I figure its just time to change them although they seem to be working great.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
      I have about 250 hours on my 07 X2 and plan to change the plugs for the first time this spring. I'm sure I'm going to get fried for saying this but I'm with you on this one. The boat hasn't missed a beat and is still running excellent. I can understand why you might have changed the plugs on older boats with points and such but with FI and computer controlled ignition it wouldn't seem to make sense. At this point I figure its just time to change them although they seem to be working great.
      At least inspect and clean plugs... the tell a good story when you pull them out and look that the insulators and electrodes.
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd pull one or two out, check the gap and the condition, and if they look ok put them back in. They are just common truck plugs though so you could replace them for like $16.

        Comment


        • #5
          At roughly $20 for the set of plugs at Napa and the hour or so to change them (including having a beer), I'd say that its cheap and easy enough to get out into the garage and swap them out. Just like changing the oil, its a preventative maintenance item...

          Fresh plugs could be the difference between detonation and a bad motor, a poorly running engine, or one that runs like a top. Is that worth the $20 in your wallet or plugs in the engine? Its up to you!
          Last edited by Stx221; 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Your boat engine is turning a lot higher RPMs than a truck engine = plugs firing more = excuse to have a beer while changing them

            Comment


            • #7
              +1 good excuse to get out have a beer and turn a wrench...
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jeff d View Post
                I'd pull one or two out, check the gap and the condition, and if they look ok put them back in. They are just common truck plugs though so you could replace them for like $16.
                I don't think they are "common truck plugs". NAPA can get mine in 1 day but they don't stock them normally and I'm pretty sure that they are special for marine applications. My boat takes AC Delco MR43LTS and I believe that the MR stands for "marine". Nonetheless I still change them every other year whether they need it or not. Remember that if you are fogging your engine in the off season this can cause extra fouling of the plugs also. I always change mine after the first start up of the year when the fogging oil has been burned off.
                sigpic1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by russlars View Post
                  I don't think they are "common truck plugs". NAPA can get mine in 1 day but they don't stock them normally and I'm pretty sure that they are special for marine applications.
                  Whatever AC Delco plugs my LTR was supposed to have was stocked at AutoZone. Less than $2 each IIRC.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I own a 1996 PS190. When I bought it new, they highly recommended doing the 100hr service mainly for the transmission service. However I want my MC to run good also. It gives me piece of mind. I have owned other boats and have been stranded, it just feels good knowing that a proper tune up was done and likely will not have any problems. My theory is if you have car trouble, you can get out and walk, but when you have boat trouble you can't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Replacing the spark plugs is cake compared to replacing your fuel filter!

                      Just sayin'
                      I was njskier on here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jerseydave View Post
                        Replacing the spark plugs is cake compared to replacing your fuel filter!

                        Just sayin'
                        Two questions:
                        1. Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is in a PS 197? Is it in the pump or is it inline somewhere under the floor? Is there some trick to it? Or is it enough of a PITA that I should ask the shop to do it?
                        2. Also where is the PCV valve on an MCX engine? This seems pretty "plug & play", but I jsut want to be sure.

                        I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and do my own oil/filter/tranny as well as plugs cap and rotor.

                        Thanks!
                        2016 X10
                        2008 Prostar 197 TT #32/100

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by savaiusini View Post
                          Two questions:
                          1. Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is in a PS 197? Is it in the pump or is it inline somewhere under the floor? Is there some trick to it? Or is it enough of a PITA that I should ask the shop to do it?
                          It's in the tank on the bottom of the fuel pump module. It's likely factory fresh on a'08 though unless you have crazy hours. I just pulled mine on my '00 (300ish hrs) and it looked so clean I felt bad changing it. The module is such a flimsy piece of crap I'd bet most fuel doesn't even pass through the filter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jeff d View Post
                            It's in the tank on the bottom of the fuel pump module. It's likely factory fresh on a'08 though unless you have crazy hours. I just pulled mine on my '00 (300ish hrs) and it looked so clean I felt bad changing it. The module is such a flimsy piece of crap I'd bet most fuel doesn't even pass through the filter.
                            Thanks, Jeff d!

                            I'm at 355 hours, so it's due, at least for a visual inspection, I guess.
                            2016 X10
                            2008 Prostar 197 TT #32/100

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Depending on your specific boat you likely have to disconnect the two high pressure lines from the module to get it out. You'll need a fuel line disconnect tool from any auto parts store. Get the crappy looking round plastic type. I got the metal scissor type but the bend at the module was too close. I had to grind the tool down and it was still hard to get off.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X