5 gallon bucket Fake-a-lake???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 gallon bucket Fake-a-lake???

I tried searching, but must not be using the correct key words. Does anyone have a link or can post some pix of exactly what I will need to make the 5 gallon bucket contraption to run my boat out of water. Also what I need to connect the bucket to the intake on the boat. Never tried this and want to start tackling more maintenance work on my own and want to do it correctly!

Thanks!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44490

Comment

you need one of these (fake-a-lake) if you plan on running more than 25 seconds......

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushr...2164743&sr=8-2
      Attached Files
      Currently schlepping on BIL's X46

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX (Sold)
      OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
      Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
      http://www.crowniehq.net

Comment

I found it easier to take a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with water. Take off the raw water pick up hose from the screen and put it in the bucket. have hose on while running. Keep an eye on the leel of water because most hoses will NOT keep up with the amount of water being sucked into your engine. I have the Predetor and it will only allow me to rev it up a little but idle is fine and keeps up. hope this helps.

Comment

I use the same technique but I prefer to use a section of 1.5" (I think that's right) diameter vinyl hose. It's really hard to get to my raw water pickup and I like that I can see the water flowing through the hose. I just pull the hose off of the intake side of the pump and connect the vinyl hose.

A shutoff for the end of your garden hose is helpful too. Makes it easier to deal with since you can start and stop the water flow right there at the boat. In the off chance that your hose flows too much water you can restrict it so the bucket doesn't overflow. I fill the bucket then turn the water off. Then I start the engine and turn the water back on and find the appropriate flow rate to keep a constant level in the bucket.

Comment

Oh, and a "Fake a Lake" like shown above won't work on many MasterCrafts due to the water intake falling directly on the trailer bunk. Not sure which years/models are setup like this but mine is on a bunk and I've heard others complain of the same issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooksfamX2 View Post
              you need one of these (fake-a-lake) if you plan on running more than 25 seconds......

http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Flushr...2164743&sr=8-2
              Are you suggesting that you can run the engine without a water supply if you run it for less then 25 seconds?
              -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

mine is on the bunk as well. I forgot to mention that too.

Comment

Originally posted by CantRepeat View Post
                  Are you suggesting that you can run the engine without a water supply if you run it for less then 25 seconds?
                  No, the video link posted by wrobins1 shows that a 5 gallon bucket is sucked dry in 25 seconds at iddle speeds.........
                  Currently schlepping on BIL's X46

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX (Sold)
                  OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
                  Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
                  http://www.crowniehq.net

Comment

1 - 5 gallon bucket
                    1 - 3 foot 1.25" ID flexible PVC tubing.
                    1 - Hose clamp.
                    1 - garden hose with shut off valve.

Remove the intake hose from the lake side of the transmission cooler and attach PVC tubing with hose clamp. Put other end of PVC tubing in the bucket. Feed the bucket with the garden hose. Use ball valve to control flow. When bucket is about 3/4 full, start engine. Works like a charm for less than $10.
                    Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

you go to the transmission cooler? why not go to the raw water pump intake side?

Comment

Originally posted by -V- View Post
                        you go to the transmission cooler? why not go to the raw water pump intake side?
                        Yeah, on my boat I would burn up the impeller and likely not even be able to get water into the engine if I went to the trans cooler. Not sure how other boats are setup but mine has the cooler after the raw water pump.

Comment

Originally posted by BrooksfamX2 View Post
                          No, the video link posted by wrobins1 shows that a 5 gallon bucket is sucked dry in 25 seconds at iddle speeds.........
                          OK, my mistake.
                          -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

5 gallon bucket method for me works really well.

Comment

I have a 7 gallon pail I picked up during the winter that I will be using in the next few days.
                              CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                              sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                              REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                              REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                              Email - [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X