jsturvey's 225 MariStar Improvement Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jsturvey's 225 MariStar Improvement Thread

Hello All! This is the beginning of my boat improvement and maintenance thread. Here, I will document any repairs, maintenance and improvements to my '98 MariStar. I will add as many pictures as I can, since we all know, everybody loves them!

I'll start off with the bucket list...
    1. Oil Change...last time was done at the dealer, so this will be the first time to do it on my own. Any pointers on draining oil with out making a mess will be appreciated. Also need to know what viscosity oil to use on a 350cid Corvette LT1. (will definitely be using synthetic)

2. Oxidation on Gunnels...Almost done with this. Have worked off and on for 4 weekends on this. Took some before pics, but the gelcoat color is so light, the oxidation is hard to make out, but trust me, it was bad.

3. Surge Brakes...not working. Keep losing all the brake fluid in the master cylinder; finally discovered that all 4 wheel cylinders are blown. Plans include replacing coupler / master cylinder assembly and all 4 wheel cylinders as well as re-packing the wheel bearings.

4. SeaDek Upgrade...Grip paper on the trailer fenders is disintegrating. Going to replace them with SeaDek, plus add a strip on the top of the fender.

5. Restore teak...yes all of us with teakwood platforms have done this time and again. I will be using the Starbrite golden process.

Like I said earlier, I'll try to take and post many pics. I'll even video it if I can get my hands on a video camera.
    Joe

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Looking forward to plenty of pics. Best of luck! Always satisfying to see guys restore these beautiful machines.
    1985 19 Skier (Stars & Stripes) - “Twinkle”
    2007 X2 - "The Sun Squirrel" - Sold
    2000 PS195 - Sold

Comment

Opinions everyone! I am in the process of templating, selecting, and ordering the SeaDek for the trailer. My problem is that I cant decide between two samples. Have a look and tell me what you think. My wife likes the one on the right, and my friend likes the one on the left. I like them both.
      Attached Files
      Joe

Comment

I think I would need to see a pic of the boat and trailer to make a decision on which would be best.
        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
        sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
        Email - [email protected]

Comment

^^^Yes, that would be a good idea, wouldn't it. Here you go!
          Attached Files
          Joe

Comment

Tough call to make. I like the faux teak on the trailer. If it were going on my trailer, I would pick the one on the left. If I were in your shoes, I would pick the one on the right.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.
            CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
            sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
            REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
            REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
            Email - [email protected]

Comment

heres my x30 with new 2014 graphics, also changed oil and tranny oil today as well. Tomorrow I'm doing my swim deck , reseal with teak stuff.
              Attached Files

Comment

old graphics

Comment

I've been through the brakes on mine a couple of times. Let me know if you want any pointers (drums, right?).
                  1998 Maristar 200VRS

Comment

Right sample….because it matches the beige on the boat
                    Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

jsturvey's 225 MariStar Improvement Thread

Originally posted by Cain0725 View Post
                      heres my x30 with new 2014 graphics, also changed oil and tranny oil today as well. Tomorrow I'm doing my swim deck , reseal with teak stuff.
                      Nice boat! Good looking rig all together.

Originally posted by FrankSchwab View Post
                      I've been through the brakes on mine a couple of times. Let me know if you want any pointers (drums, right?).
                      Appreciate it! Yes they are drums, and on both axles. I figure I'll be starting the brake repairs in early May. Still collecting parts; already have a new coupler /master cylinder assy, but still need to purchase the wheel cylinders. Hoping that this is not one of those repairs that's going to to domino on me.

Originally posted by barefoot View Post
                      Right sample....because it matches the beige on the boat
                      That's why my wife likes that one. Truth be told, I ordered those samples thinking that the sample on the right was what I wanted to get from the beginning, but obviously having second thoughts. I should also point out that the top color on both samples are the same. It's amazing how the background color changes the perception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by jsturvey; 04-13-2014, 09:18 PM.
                      Joe

Comment

Worked on making the SeaDek templates today. We'll know how well they fit in a couple of weeks. Took some pics of the template process.
                        Attached Files
                        Joe

Comment

Asking for advice again. I have noticed that my raw water pump shakes / vibrates back and forth quite a bit when the engine is running. Is this normal? I'm not sure that it is. I would think that the pump is supposed to hold perfectly still. In any case, it's been this way for the 3 1/2 years I've owned the boat. I am wondering is the pump shaft is bent. Any thoughts? (I am also starting a thread in the engine / drivetrain page regarding this.)
                          Joe

Comment

keep working, projects and [email protected]!! gotta love weekends.

Comment

SeaDek has been ordered. Deposit has been made. I should get the cad drawings in about 7 to 10 days. Then after I approve them, it will be another 7 to 10 days until they ship. After much consideration, wife and I both agreed to go with the sample on the left.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X