Vinyl cleaning tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl cleaning tips

Pulled my boat out of storage for the winter yesterday to clean it up a little bit and I've noticed quite a bit more mildew(I think) spots on my white interior.. Any products that work better than others for that type of thing? Or just in the vinyl in general?

Totally awesome cleaner and / or magic eraser - btw you can get magic erasers on ebay for cheaps. If you use Totally Awesome cleaner follow up right away with 303 Aerospace protectant..
    sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Awesome.. Thanks!

Comment

There are some threads on here cautioning against Magic Eraser as it is actually a micro-abrasive and can take the finish off your vinyl.

I've had a few spots and stains over the years and just letting the boat sit uncovered in the sun for a few days has usually taken care of them.

Some guys have also used the mildew remover for awnings that you can get at an RV place.
        2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
        (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

Be careful with those products as they are very abrasive and can take the sheen out of the vinyl. I didn't find either worked for mildew spots so you may try something else. I think vinegar and baking soda works, but do your research before trying...obviously the sun will remove the mildew spots, but they will come back...

http://www.howtocleanthings.com/beda...ean-mildew.htm
          - Andrew

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
          2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)

Comment

I've had unbelievable results with BassPros mildew/stain remover. It seriously is a quality product that is light on the wallet. I have no issues paying good money for a better product, but I have yet to find anything out perform it. I also follow up with StarBrite's Vinyl Polish with a white scrub pad.
            Attached Files

Comment

The magic eraser(dollar general brand of course) worked really well and then applied a vinyl cleaner/protectant and it seemed to be just fine.. So we shall see I guess

Comment

As someone else said magic eraser is abrasive and WILL eventually cause issues. I use it only if nothing else will get it off.

For mildew I'll use awesome orange. I let it sit for a minute, scrub with a soft brush and then immediately wash it off with lots and lots of water. Then hit it vinyl sauce and then 303 or condition sauce.

Awesome orange will take almost anything especially in concentrated form but will dry out your stitching in a heartbeat. Gotta get it all out and then get a protectant on it. I also heard good things about the basspro product cheesesteak posted up but haven't made it over to our new store to grab a bottle yet. Key during storage for me is to keep all the seats open and breathing. Weird stuff happens over winter.

Comment

For last 2 years have put Kanberra gel and a moisture absorbant in boat for storage and it has eliminated all mold/mildew problems. Kanberra is a little expensive but worth every penny.

Comment

I start the season out every year scrubbing totally awesome on my vinyl with a soft bristle brush. I hose down the cushions one at a time, spray some TA on there, scrub, then rinse off. I sit the cushions out to dry in the sun, then go back over everything with 303, then stick them back in the boat. They feel awesome and are nice and clean after that. If you wipe down your seats after each use they should be good to go all season. I use 303 after almost every outing on my vinyl to keep it clean.
                    -Mike

Comment

Good stuff. I picked up some of the 303 last weekend and will prob be using it this weekend. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                      X