1993 Prostar throttle cable confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Prostar throttle cable confusion

I have recently purchased and installed a new 4160 into my 1993. The install included a new fuel pump, line, etc and all of that went well, until it came to hook up the throttle. I have attached the image of where I am currently at. I have scoured the forums and it seems like most images I see a look slightly different than this so I am just going to suck it up and ask.

Please see the image, what am I missing here? What you see in the picture is the cable attached to the stock bracket and the carb in its set position. The driver controls are set in the top position, neutral. In order for me to even hook this up I have to open the carb quite a bit, as you can see to connect it in Neutral which seems wrong to me... but then again maybe not.

If I do that, when I go to put it in forward, the trans shifts as expected and the throttle heads twoards the front of the boat (pushes forward), closing off the carb. (Not what I am expecting)

If I go in reverse it, the cable pulls the carb open and that parts seems to be as expected.

This boat was in pieces when I started and I do not have any experience with what it should be doing or what it should look like.

Can someone help me with what I am missing or what I can do to resolve this. Once completed, I am able to try and start this damn thing after over a 1 year restoration so I really want to try and get this done.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files

Can't you move the entire cable by loosening the sleeve to the right in your picture?

Do you have any before pics? what changed, obviously it lined up before??

Comment

You have something other than an alignment problem. The throttle lever should be moving that cable in the same direction when you move the throttle from the 12 o'clock position forward to 9 as it does when you move from 12 to 3 in reverse.

If your throttle cable is moving different directions as you leave the 12 o'clock (idle) position, you need to figure out what is going on in your Morse throttle control.
      Last edited by Table Rocker; 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM.
      '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Here is a video you might watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNzQxpAeE4

I suspect the throttle arm on the back of your Morse control is not pointing at the cable when in neutral. It is probably at ninety degrees.
        Last edited by Table Rocker; 05-11-2017, 09:26 AM.
        '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

I will take a look at that tonight then. I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to ask before I started taking things apart.

Will post an update later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by kashwmu View Post
            I will take a look at that tonight then. I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to ask before I started taking things apart.

Will post an update later tonight.
            Seventeen foot cable? The linkage you have looks OK. I'd also guess the other poster is pretty close to the proper diagnosis. I have a diagram of the MV-2 configuration if you need it.

I say add a Perfectpass while you're there...
            Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-11-2017, 04:50 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)
            John 14:6
            (safe click)

Comment

It Worked

It was the Driver Controller, exactly as you stated. It was pointing up, I moved it to point forward and everything was good. I fixed some of the other items and I fired it up for the first time sense I have owned it. It is a good day.

thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by kashwmu View Post
                It was the Driver Controller, exactly as you stated. It was pointing up, I moved it to point forward and everything was good. I fixed some of the other items and I fired it up for the first time sense I have owned it. It is a good day.

thanks to everyone for the help.
                Awesome. I am glad it was an easy and cheap fix.
                '96 ProStar 205 SD LT-1

Comment

Working...
                X