Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LY6 in the X14 too Loud (Yeah, I said it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LY6 in the X14 too Loud (Yeah, I said it)

Hello my fellow gear heads. First lets set the record straight: I love a great rumble and a when my boat launches and travels down the water, she sounds freaking awesome. However, now that I have owned it for over one season and many of my friends have rode in it, it just might be a little loud, and my friends, who shall remain nameless (jkski, 93prostar190, mgboyd25, Bobbo, ShreaderPS18,) tend to give me their opinion with comments like; Huh?, What? Bring Ear Plugs, Can I sit up Front?, You just woke up 3 sleeping babies, I can't hear.. and so on and so own. She is quiet as heck when just idling but when that exhaust breaks the water, wow!! and when its time to transverse the lake most people will say, lets take that other boat... LOL

So, some technical details:
    - 93Prostar190 owns a 2008 214 with the MCX, cats in the jackets and mufflers. Sweet sound.
    - jkski own a 2008 197 with the MCX, cats in the jackets and no mufflers. Awesome sound.
    - I have a 2008 X14 with the LY6, no cats and no mufflers and this thing has a deep BLAAAA!!

So ultimately looking for proven ideas to tone it down some and I WILL NOT CONSIDER AN FAE, not gonna happen! Adding baffles, small mufflers, down firing tips, stock up on ear protection? And I would like this to be somewhat easy....

Thanks in advance.

Video for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7uCgsglI-Q
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

You clearly need a better class of friends who appreciate the sound and don't complain so much!!!
    Give us all a few more years and our hearing will naturally fade with age to the point where this will not be an issue!!!

OK, so my serious answer would be...downturns would likely be the cheapest option without sacrificing any power but I would wonder if the sound would bounce back off the water and be the same or if the simple act of redirecting it would downward to hit water first and muffle would do the trick.
    Any chance you can get your hands on a pair of downturns just to try out?

Comment

I wuv my friends and always appreciate the input. I know where a 2018 ProStar is located with down firing tips we could 'borrow'... LOL But me just typing that, why did MC put down firing tips on anyway?

I did see somewhere that someone put on some BU down firing tips on his boat because he said it helped quiet it down. This is a good read I should have looked up..

Here is the updated link to the BU tips. https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-b...tips-each.html

Originally posted by jkski View Post
      You clearly need a better class of friends who appreciate the sound and don't complain so much!!!
      Give us all a few more years and our hearing will naturally fade with age to the point where this will not be an issue!!!

OK, so my serious answer would be...downturns would likely be the cheapest option without sacrificing any power but I would wonder if the sound would bounce back off the water and be the same or if the simple act of redirecting it would downward to hit water first and muffle would do the trick.
      Any chance you can get your hands on a pair of downturns just to try out?
      Last edited by Double D; 06-09-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I'm surprised by this post. The one thing I will miss most about my X14 is the sound the LY6 makes. I believe you would have to put in mufflers if you want it to be substantially quieter. I think the turn down ends may help, but they wouldn't do a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
          I'm surprised by this post. The one thing I will miss most about my X14 is the sound the LY6 makes. I believe you would have to put in mufflers if you want it to be substantially quieter. I think the turn down ends may help, but they wouldn't do a lot.
          And you have nothing to muffle it between the engine and the tips? I love it but for those times your traversing a large lake and your trip is 20-30 minutes, it takes a toll.

Comment

This is blasphemy!

Can you add in a resonator. It should knock down the sound a little.

Comment

Any reason why you won’t do FAE?
              Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
              Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
              2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
              For Sale:
              2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

Originally posted by lakedrum03 View Post
                This is blasphemy!

Can you add in a resonator. It should knock down the sound a little.

Where would that be added, in line having to cut the hoses?

Comment

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                  Any reason why you won’t do FAE?

Just not a fan of them or the look. Plus I still want the out of water rumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
                    And you have nothing to muffle it between the engine and the tips? I love it but for those times your traversing a large lake and your trip is 20-30 minutes, it takes a toll.
                    Nope, I have nothing between the engine and the tips either. But saying that, our lake is not that big that we would do any trips longer than 10 - 15 minutes at a time.

Comment

Where would that be added, in line having to cut the hoses?
                      Yessir. Not sure what size you would need but you should be able to find a stainless one.

Comment

Does Mastercraft make a sail boat? Ive heard that they are pretty quiet. (LOL) I love the calming sound of the birds and the 7.4 in the morning. Would make for a great Folger's commercial.

Comment

My LY6 is not very loud except just cruising around 10 mph or so.
                          1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
                          2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

Just not a fan of them or the look. Plus I still want the out of water rumble.

“Not a fan of them”? The owners? For what it’s worth, I put one on my X25 because I thought the LY6 was incredibly loud. No performance issue and it was so quiet, you couldn’t even tell it was running.

Looks-wise, here is what I will be putting on my XT22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Run it loud and proud Dave, 3 cars in my household are straight-piped custom exhaust. I think the kids enjoy irritating the neighbors with the Harleys. My 214 has leaky mufflers in it. It would be a real PITA to get those out, thought about it for a while, maybe over the winter.
                              https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                              1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                              2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X