Lake house must haves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoPokes View Post
    We have purchased a lot at the lake and looking for an architect to start drawing up our new lake house. We are planning to build a shop or garage large enough to fit out boat & trailer and get it out of my heated shop at the office. For those of you who have built before, or have a list if items you wish you had in your shop please post them. Must haves for me so far are, insulated, heated, floor drain, ceiling fans, ice machine, space or racks for boards. Thanks in advance for your help.
    So I have everything you have listed but here's things I would do on my next.

Add more lights. I would put them where you walk not over the cars.
    2nd I'd put receptacles right beside the doors on both sides. You always need to charge something or do something outside and running an extension cord from right beside the door would be nice versus the back wall like I do.
    Other is a remote garage door opener from your phone. Very handy to be able to open and close the door or let someone if needed.
    Also electronic door lock for the walk in door. Also remote lock and unlock.
    I'd also add one of the ductless AC units so I'd have both heat and air.
    By far I use the double deep sink the most. however I'd only have a single the next time but it would be a large single.

Comment

Poured 3ft x 4ft spot with drain for washing dogs - it looks like a shower pan (and hot cold faucets)

Lots of muddy hunting dogs

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
      Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

Power to the lake

Give some consideration to if you potentially will rent out the property and if so do you want to have any areas of the house that are secured for private use such as separate storage area in basement and possibly separate bedroom with a dead bolt so you can keep your stuff there private.

Comment

Originally posted by sp00ky View Post
          Projector, screen, sound system to post how-to videos from You tube, etc.
          THIS!!!! I thought I was wierd when I put the projector and screen in the shed for the kids to hang out, but then started to use it for the same purpose - great to have a 6 x 6ft screen to check out the details on "How Too" videos. Sounds great in surround sound as well.
          Cheers

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR

Comment

5.5 foot deep repair pit in the floor, and a floored/insulated attic.

We also have smart lights, outlets, and locks on everything which makes it really nice to just turn everything off and have all the doors locked with a single command even if you're already in bed when you remember it.

Comment

Ice machine. I like windows in the garage or an extra garage door for venting.
              Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place.

Comment

1. railroad tracks flush with the floor from the garage to the boat ramp.
                a. trolley with bunks on it
                b. winch mounted in floor to push/pull boat from the garage to the boat ramp
                2. twin beams in the ceiling to be able to lift the boat from front and back with accompanying hoists

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic3D View Post
                  1. railroad tracks flush with the floor from the garage to the boat ramp.
                  a. trolley with bunks on it
                  b. winch mounted in floor to push/pull boat from the garage to the boat ramp
                  2. twin beams in the ceiling to be able to lift the boat from front and back with accompanying hoists
                  I have seen this and agree, if you are able to launch your boat at your property.
                  Your profile says "South" as location; Where "South". Funny that all the Midwest guys say Reverse Osmosis a must. Mo one in my vicinity even knows what that is.

On the trolley/boat launch idea: If it works with your lot and grade from shop to lake, or consistency of lake level - the "pull through" floorplan on the boat storage is great. Make the garage/shop at least long enough to store the boat on trailer attached to tow vehicle. Instead of putting bunks on trolley, make the trolley a platform that you back the boat onto, unhitch, then send the trolley with trailer down to the lake to launch. That way you can launch any boat, or if you want to trailer your boat, you just hook up and go. You just need to add a removeable hitchpost of some sort that you secure the tongue to after you unhitch the tow vehicle.

Kinda like this:
                  https://youtu.be/uGPDJcZayTo
                  Last edited by Olaff; 06-24-2021, 04:16 PM. Reason: add video link

Comment

Originally posted by Olaff View Post
                    ... Funny that all the Midwest guys say Reverse Osmosis a must. Mo one in my vicinity even knows what that is...
                    What do you guys do to filter water?

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
                      Sediment filter with a carbon filter inline is what we used to have for pumping water from the lake. This spring I buried a PVC line from the house (city water) to the dock though, and now the problem is solved.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
                        Sediment filter with a carbon filter inline is what we used to have for pumping water from the lake. This spring I buried a PVC line from the house (city water) to the dock though, and now the problem is solved.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
                        Drinking water not wash down/dock water. You surely weren't drinking lake water pumped through a sediment and carbon filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
                          For potable water we pull water from wells that are generally drilled a couple hundred feet down. Any surface water gets run through municipal or utility provider treatment plants.
                          I don't know anyone who uses water from the lakes for anything other than irrigation.

The only issues we may have is heavy mineral content that is rectified with a water softener.
                          Some folks use whole house replaceable cartridge filtration systems.

Comment

Must haves:

1. Smart Light Switches and plugs
                            2. A pool/hottub is a game changer, even for a lake front home
                            3. Floor drain in utility room so you can get an icemaker that doesnt have an internal pump
                            4. Sidewalk poured from corner of driveway to the dock
                            5. Dock should have composite decking, never gets hot and nonskid
                            6. Garage, install the shelving that suspends from ceiling
                            7. Screen in your patio... There are retractable screens
                            8. Siligranit kitchen sink by Blanco
                            9. Electricity to dock
                            10. Fresh water to dock
                            11. If you do a 2 story boat dock, make sure rain wont come down through the top deck
                            12. Propane fire table for patio, real wood firepit for lake side
                            13. Windows facing the lake should be non opening as much as code allows. This will look better that you do not have a window bar blocking your lake view.
                            14. Powder room accessible from back yard
                            15. Mirror on the ceiling in master bedroom
                            16. Pot filler water spiggot near stove
                            17. Make sure driveway is poured in a way that you'll be able to get boat backed into garage without driving over your grass.
                            18. Budget for sod
                            19. prewire for security cam
                            20. kayak or paddle board storage at the dock
                            The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

Working...
                            X