205V Tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 205V Tower

Anyone ever put a tower on a 205V hull ? I'm considering it and the wife is coming around to the idea of drilling holes in her baby. I'm asking because I read on a few threads that there are already aluminum backing plates glassed into the hull on some models. I have a 2000 and that year had the crappy jungle-gym tower:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	XStarTower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2476083

But I'm looking at a ND tower:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Prostar205V Tower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2476082

Anyone every drill into the attachment points of the ND tower ? Any aluminum there ? I'm guessing yes at the front attachment points but no at the rear since they are so different from the stock 2000 tower.
    2000 Prostar 205V

very common and new dimensions is the way to go for the 205v. I would also put a beveled edge around every hole you drill using a chamfer bit and it will help prevent spider cracking long term.

Comment

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
      very common and new dimensions is the way to go for the 205v. I would also put a beveled edge around every hole you drill using a chamfer bit and it will help prevent spider cracking long term.
      Yes, this is no problem, just trying to figure out if I'm going to need to glass in backing plates before I drop $2k on a tower. I've read all the posts I could find but found none addressing specifically the 2000 205V.
      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Yep. My 205v has the ND tower from the factory.

You could probably epoxy the backing plates to the hull. Although, I would make them as large as possible.

Comment

If you go with an ND tower (my recommendation), Wayne includes aluminum backing plates, glass reinforced epoxy, drill bits, instructions and is available for questions if needed.
          Buy the New Dimension and enjoy!

Comment

i added additional AL backing plates on mine a 2001. I made them as big as i could fit in the slot... works great

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
              i added additional AL backing plates on mine a 2001. I made them as big as i could fit in the slot... works great
              Did you have to add any in the front (base of the windshield) or were there some already there ?
              2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

they may have been in there i don't recall... but whatever was in there wasn't sturdy enough IMO so I added larger plates to whatever was pre-built into the boat... It certainly made a difference.

Comment

What racks is everyone using for these towers ? It looks like the standard racks are fixed, are there any swiveling racks that work well anyone has found ?
                  2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by curver900 View Post
                    they may have been in there i don't recall... but whatever was in there wasn't sturdy enough IMO so I added larger plates to whatever was pre-built into the boat... It certainly made a difference.
                    Thanks for the advice.
                    2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                      What racks is everyone using for these towers ? It looks like the standard racks are fixed, are there any swiveling racks that work well anyone has found ?
                      There are some aftermarket clamp on options out there. I would really like to make that investment for mine, but I am scared to pick the wrong one. I haven't seen any of them in person, so I can't comment on which is best.

Perhaps someone on here has some first hand knowledge they can pass down???

Comment

I put in an order for a tower with New Dimensions today. They will put it on for $250 which sounded like money well spent. Wayne said 2 weeks to fab it. I'll have to change both sides' wheel bearings on my trailer and haul it up there.
                        2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Nice, did you get the anchor light, or is that standard?

Good call on having them do the install IMO. Be sure to post up pics when you get it back!
                          ¡Viva 205V!
                          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                            Nice, did you get the anchor light, or is that standard?
                            It's $50 more and I never drive the boat at night so I figured it was low priority. I'll put it on when I get some speakers so I can do the wiring all at once.
                            2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
                              It's $50 more and I never drive the boat at night so I figured it was low priority. I'll put it on when I get some speakers so I can do the wiring all at once.
                              get the tower light, $50 well spent

Comment

Working...
                              X