1981 Bow vent 3D print

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1981 Bow vent 3D print

So I finished my 1st draft of the bow vent for my 81 with solid works. The bed on my printer isn’t big enough (10.5x10.5) to lay flat and has the vent positioned at an angle on the Z axis to accommodate the first print. Due to this the build time is 1day 14 hours…. there are a lot of supports needed due to the angle and probably the biggest contributor to the build time.

if this even finishes I will be surprised

so I’m probably going to print this in two separate prints once I find a way to hide the joint that looks acceptable. I’m going to work on the other two vents (engine box, rear vent) which should fit on the bed.

1981 MasterCraft
    19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
    Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Originally posted by 1redTA View Post
    So I finished my 1st draft of the bow vent for my 81 with solid works. The bed on my printer isn’t big enough (10.5x10.5) to lay flat and has the vent positioned at an angle on the Z axis to accommodate the first print. Due to this the build time is 1day 14 hours…. there are a lot of supports needed due to the angle and probably the biggest contributor to the build time.

if this even finishes I will be surprised

so I’m probably going to print this in two separate prints once I find a way to hide the joint that looks acceptable. I’m going to work on the other two vents (engine box, rear vent) which should fit on the bed.
    Popcorn

Click image for larger version

Name:	Popcorn Sutton01.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2696080
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

yep the first print failed, so I’m going to make a two piece from vent as well as the rear vent, it’s way to large for my bed.
      I may look at sending these out to be printed depending on the price say that it will be one piece
      1981 MasterCraft
      19' Skier 351W PowerSlot

Comment

yep the first print failed, so I’m going to make a two piece from vent as well as the rear vent, it’s way to large for my bed.
        I may look at sending these out to be printed depending on the price say that it will be one piece
        I like your diligence. Surely someone can whip that out. I thought there were some gurus here that could print.

PS: Popcorn Sutton above in the photo. He is a legendary moonshiner. Thus the Popcorn....while I watch the show.

93 190
        (safe click)
        (safe click)

Comment

What does the 81 rear vent look like?

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post
            What does the 81 rear vent look like?
            In progress work.

81 year make

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1080921.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.52 MB ID:	2696299
            93 190
            (safe click)
            (safe click)

Comment

This is the one from my 81, I will have to make it in halves
              Attached Files
              1981 MasterCraft
              19' Skier 351W PowerSlot

Comment

I can’t help but notice the difference of our two vents. the engine box vent will be able to print as one piece
                Last edited by 1redTA; 12-26-2021, 12:11 PM.
                1981 MasterCraft
                19' Skier 351W PowerSlot

Comment

I can’t help but notice the difference of our two vents. the engine box vent will be able to print as one piece
                  Your vent looks exactly the same as my 85... Broken and all. Although I think mine is worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Huckelfin View Post

Your vent looks exactly the same as my 85... Broken and all. Although I think mine is worse.
                    Here is one of several 85s I have ran across. Photo credit to owner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	85 rear vent.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2696421
                    93 190
                    (safe click)
                    (safe click)

Comment

I think '81 was a transition year. IIRC some newer (squared windshield (deluxe?) boats) were sold as well as the rounded windshield boats of earlier years. So, two different vents.

Comment

the first print made it through, I used a simpler sketch to get an idea of how things look in hand. The other sketch has the vents all chamfered, but I will need to work on the screw size, since I just put a #2 screw hole in.
                        1981 MasterCraft
                        19' Skier 351W PowerSlot

Comment

the first print made it through, I used a simpler sketch to get an idea of how things look in hand. The other sketch has the vents all chamfered, but I will need to work on the screw size, since I just put a #2 screw hole in.
                          Looks good.

93 190
                          (safe click)
                          (safe click)

Comment

This is for the engine cover, correct? It looks really good so far, nice work. For holes, would it be simpler/higher quality to machine after print using the small holes as pilot holes? That way you could easily add a chamfer as well to countersink the screw heads. I don't know how accurate the 3D printer can be in this regard.

Comment

Yes, it’s for the engine cover. This wouldn’t fit inside the original hole with out some light file work in the fiberglass.

I was thinking the same thing about the holes and finishing them but I’d need a drill press. Locating the holes needs to be done before the chamfers. I’m going to add the holes before the chamfers next print and hopefully figure out which screw size they are. I’m going to shave some areas to speed up the total time hopefully.

The printer is a Creality10s and you can really adjust the quality or precision of the print but at a huge increase in print time. This was 24 hours.

Im using up some old PLA I had loaded for the prototypes, a role of the PETG is supposed to be UV resistant so that will be what the actual part will be made of.
                              1981 MasterCraft
                              19' Skier 351W PowerSlot

Comment

Working...
                              X