89 prostar interior combing pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 prostar interior combing pads

So I am finally making headway on the restoration now that the trailer is out the door for paint. The PO jacked up the combing pads rebuilding them so I’ve got to redueit any way. I’m thinking about only building the top half and leaving the floor space open instead of having the cubby. This will be my very specific ski boat. I’ve got other boats i using for other water sports so it’s not like I need much storage space. Has anyone else done this and how did it turn out. I’ll be pulling the top deck off and carpeting all the way up the wall anyway. I would be essentially making a half one as seen in the blue line in the picture. I planned on making it original but like the floor space.
    thanks for the input

Originally posted by slking67 View Post
    So I am finally making headway on the restoration now that the trailer is out the door for paint. The PO jacked up the combing pads rebuilding them so I’ve got to redueit any way. I’m thinking about only building the top half and leaving the floor space open instead of having the cubby. This will be my very specific ski boat. I’ve got other boats i using for other water sports so it’s not like I need much storage space. Has anyone else done this and how did it turn out. I’ll be pulling the top deck off and carpeting all the way up the wall anyway. I would be essentially making a half one as seen in the blue line in the picture. I planned on making it original but like the floor space.
    thanks for the input
    I have not necessarily done that particular setup but I see no reason it won't serve your needs.

If you are lifting the deck, that opens up other options of work while you are there.

I presume you are going to carpet the entire hull with the deck off. That would make sense. It's a lot of work to remove the deck but that too is all part of the fun...doing the work.

Your transom and dash wiring will unplug at the connectors so not a big deal there. Make sure you support the deck during removing and replacing.

Also make certain the carpet sweep all goes the same way (each separate piece as applicable...center floor sections). Otherwise it will look a little off when vacuuming.

Best on the project.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

Not problem with wiring lol

Comment

Not problem with wiring lol
        My kind of boat... butt naked and ready for work. Looks good indeed. Best on the project.

For your purpose and objective, I'd consider Deckadence flooring.

You're on the right track. Photos and updates please and thank you.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

My advice, as I've seen it done and it looks great, is to cut out the bottom center section of the combing bad, but leave "supports" in the front and rear. Strike a line from your blue line, at an angle through the speaker holes, down to the floor. This will finish it off nicely, and will give support to the top deck, which as you may notice right now, flexes quite a bit without the combing pads installed.

I think your plan will work okay, but just thowing another idea out there to consider.

Comment

I am not a Marine Engineer so here is my $.02 the side panel is a structural part of the deck as well as the side of the hull. When properly bolted in place it will give the support needed maintain the original design. Altering the support could lead to a hull failure.

Comment

I agree with you and mwagner01, I'll have to take another look at my design to bring legs down to the support. Although it's only like 11/32 plywood I can see how it would add some support. Also the dingle PO tried to saw holes for speakers in the top deck next to the drivers seat and opposite side and I think they used a hatchet (you can see 1 of them if you zoom in on the picture.) I'm not sure the middle of the of the side panel gave a lot of support. and I'm trying to open the floor space up a little. Not that I need it,just trying to clean it up since I'm pretty much tearing the boat all the way down.

Comment

I did something very similar to my '89 TriStar. The openings in the coaming pads were barely big enough to allow a modern slalom ski to fit. The original plywood was rotted, so I fabricated new ones but I enlarged the opening as much as possible leaving a 3" lip on the bottom. A ski fit easily, and I could still easily stow towels, water bottles, and fenders. If you leave the "pillars" front and rear you won't lose any structural stability.
                Last edited by Miss Rita; 12-30-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Okay got a design and rebuilding them out of plywood…. Or was but the bend at the top left corner is causing me problems because the board has to bend. The original was wood as well, apparently the only wood in the boat…anybody rebuilt these but used hdpe so they wouldn’t rot and to you could mold it to the hull?

Comment

Okay got a design and rebuilding them out of plywood…. Or was but the bend at the top left corner is causing me problems because the board has to bend. The original was wood as well, apparently the only wood in the boat…anybody rebuilt these but used hdpe so they wouldn’t rot and to you could mold it to the hull?
                    My 1994 Protour 190 has Marine hdpe side panel supports in it from the factory. Mastercraft switched over from wood some time in the early 90's. I think that would be a good choice if you are replacing them. I also suspect the the original ones were made out of Marine plywood it is a lot stronger than standard store bought plywood.

Comment

I think you’re probably right but after 32 years all of the chemicals that make it marine grade are kind of dry so it’s pretty flimsy.I’m just surprised considering the rest of the boat is all fiberglass with the wood that they made the side panels out of plywood in 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X