No announcement yet.

Prop ain't broke- but should I fix it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop ain't broke- but should I fix it?

I didn't want to threadjack another post-- but it may be even more annoying to move the discussion that came up there to a new thread. You guys set me straight on etiquette!

91 stock 351 regarding props and the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule: I see all sorts of discussions on here about what type of prop to get and what they each do.

But not so much on when/why to get one. If I've got my [apparently stock] prop with no major nicks and it seems to pull just fine-- should I upgrade if I'm upgrading most everything else? Will there be a noticeable difference if I'm already impressed with how incredibly this thing pulls? Or are they for badass course skiers only?

I don't want to miss out on some amazing advances in prop tech over the last 30 years, but figured topping out (once a summer for whatever reason) at 43MPH and pulling some big folks without issue maybe I should leave it alone.

Originally posted by MarCraft1991 View Post
    I didn't want to threadjack another post-- but it may be even more annoying to move the discussion that came up there to a new thread. You guys set me straight on etiquette!

91 stock 351 regarding props and the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" rule: I see all sorts of discussions on here about what type of prop to get and what they each do.

But not so much on when/why to get one. If I've got my [apparently stock] prop with no major nicks and it seems to pull just fine-- should I upgrade if I'm upgrading most everything else? Will there be a noticeable difference if I'm already impressed with how incredibly this thing pulls? Or are they for badass course skiers only?

I don't want to miss out on some amazing advances in prop tech over the last 30 years, but figured topping out (once a summer for whatever reason) at 43MPH and pulling some big folks without issue maybe I should leave it alone.
    I am an Acme prop guy so I'll tell you what I have experienced from the Acme 13 x 12 L 1 Bore .08 Cup 3-Blade. It is a far cry, better balanced than the OEM prop. It is a CNC finished prop and will take out a lot of vibration. The prop also gives performance on hole and top end without loss of RPM / MPH. Just an overall good upgrade and a good bang for the buck. You will get a noticeable difference all around.

When you install, there is a specific orientation because of the shaft taper and the prop hub taper. Lettering identification on the hub should face outward to the transom.

This prop is for any boat; pulling big ol' fat boys to slalom competitors. It gets the job done. Well worth the money, although I see where they have gone up in price. I used to get them from Nettles for US$350. Watch for a sale.

Wakemakers has them for US$359 now. That is a going price without the consumer gouge and will be hard to beat.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

I would think a modern prop would be worth it simply because of the change in prop manufacturing technology that occurred in the late 90's.
      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

I second the Acme 541. I loved mine.

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

I am an Acme prop guy so I'll tell you what I have experienced from the Acme 13 x 12 L 1 Bore .08 Cup 3-Blade. It is a far cry, better balanced than the OEM prop. It is a CNC finished prop and will take out a lot of vibration. The prop also gives performance on hole and top end without loss of RPM / MPH. Just an overall good upgrade and a good bang for the buck. You will get a noticeable difference all around.

When you install, there is a specific orientation because of the shaft taper and the prop hub taper. Lettering identification on the hub should face outward to the transom.

This prop is for any boat; pulling big ol' fat boys to slalom competitors. It gets the job done. Well worth the money, although I see where they have gone up in price. I used to get them from Nettles for US$350. Watch for a sale.

Wakemakers has them for US$359 now. That is a going price without the consumer gouge and will be hard to beat.

If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
        1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

Got it—I’ll add it back to the list. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
          X