Question for those who have installed SeaDek or similar product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those who have installed SeaDek or similar product

So how clean is clean enough on prepping the surface? I'm replacing my trailer step pads with a custom SeaDek set and am having a difficult time getting the last bit of adhesive residue off from the old pads. Is there any margin of error here, or do I need to keep at it? I've been using Goo Gone and Acetone along with a plastic razor blade scrape tool, but have kind of hit a wall. There's a few rough spots, but for the most part fairly smooth and clean. Here's a couple pics. Appreciate any insight or guidance from those who've tackled this. TIA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0485.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	2696979

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2696980
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

I installed HydraDeck on the bumpy surfaces by my feet and where I step in my boat. I was concerned it wouldn’t stick. But no issue.
    If its not a competition ski boat, its always second best.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
    1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

Comment

I did this exact same thing to my trailer and ran into this exact problem. I just went ahead and put the pads on and have had no issues
      -Tolman
      '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
      '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Originally posted by TolCarMan View Post
        I did this exact same thing to my trailer and ran into this exact problem. I just went ahead and put the pads on and have had no issues
        Thanks for the replies. So based on what you see above, you think I’m probably good to go once it warms up? I’m going to risk scratches if I keep at it.

Did you use 3M Primer 94 on yours? SeaDek lists it as an ‘optional’ step.
        ¡Viva 205V!
        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

I use 3m adhesive remover, low temp heat gun, plastic razor blade to remove old glue. Yes I would use the primer. Not necessary but it definitely helps keep it stuck on.

Comment

Originally posted by brucemac View Post

Thanks for the replies. So based on what you see above, you think I’m probably good to go once it warms up? I’m going to risk scratches if I keep at it.

Did you use 3M Primer 94 on yours? SeaDek lists it as an ‘optional’ step.
            I think your good to slap them on. I didn't use primer and they have been fine for the 2 years I've had them. Best of luck, your boat is really becoming something special!
            -Tolman
            '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
            '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

Working...
            X