Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 Prostar gauge and dash restoration (before and after pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Prostar gauge and dash restoration (before and after pics)

I recently completed installing new gauges and restoring the dash pad on my 1990 Prostar. As you'll see from the before pictures, the pad was in rough shape and the speedometers were cracked. They weren't very accurate either. I removed the dash pad, cleaned it and polished it. There was a few cracks on the back of the dash pad, so I reinforced those cracks with a rubber/plastic weld. I labeled all the wires so reinstall would be quick and easy.

I then purchased the 6 gauge euro set by Faria. Also bought the Faria GPS speedometer. Installed all gauges and a brand new pitot kit, and all new tubing, bow to stern. The old one was crimped in a few stops. I blocked off the other tube as I only need one now.

I then purchased new switch plates (metal) and installed all new rocker switches and circuit breakers. I then replaced the horn button, safety switch and power outlet with all new stuff. Basically... everything is new besides the hour meter. I then topped it off with a new Grant steering wheel.

You'll see that the GPS speedometer goes up to 60MPH and the mechanical speedometer 55MPH. For some reason Faria doesn't make a 55MPH in the GPS model. I know pitot tubes get clogged and we are always wondering how fast our boat is actually going. So I figured why not have access to GPS all the time. I liked the Faria GPS unit because everything is internal. There's no antennas or any buttons that need to be pushed. The GPS unit requires a hot wire from the battery, and a hot with ignition "on". This allows it to quickly find a signal as soon as the key is turned to the "on" position. I haven't tested it yet, as it's still cold here in CT, but so far I'm impressed with the quality.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Before:

Comment

After:

Comment

More:

Comment

Comment

I like it.

Links to all of the above?

Is the inside of the dash open or is it pretty much a wall there immediately behind the panel?

93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
              I like it.

Is the inside of the dash open or is it pretty much a wall there immediately behind the panel?

It's open, plenty of room behind the dash. I actually took this picture last week:

Comment

Here's the links to the metal switch plates. Great quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/87-90-PRO-S...-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft...-127632-2357-0

Comment

Links to the Faria gauge set and GPS gauge:

Faria KT9799 Euro Inboard 6-Gauge Boxed Set - Speedometer/Tachometer/Fuel Level/Voltmeter/Water Temp/Oil PSI https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BIAP4M...ing=UTF8&psc=1

FARIA BEEDE 32816 Euro Speedometer GPS (60 MPH) Studded - 4, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZ2Z1AE...ing=UTF8&psc=1

The circuit breakers I got from Great Lake Skipper. The rocker switches and the rest of the stuff I purchased on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro351 View Post
                    Thanks for the links. I like to look.

Here is the open dash I was referring which I think came along in 91 (through 94).

Photo credit to owner. Not my photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Protour 190-204.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2701335
                    93 190
                    (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by Pro351 View Post
                      Thanks. I like to look.

Your dash looks great.

93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Thanks. I like to look.

Your dash looks great.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how it would come out... I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Pitot kit?

Also, why the additional speedometer? Wouldn't the gps speedo be sufficient?

Comment

looks so much better! and where in CT do you drop in?

Comment

Originally posted by RxMC View Post
                              Pitot kit?

Also, why the additional speedometer? Wouldn't the gps speedo be sufficient?
                              The pitot kit came with the tube that connects to the speedometer and the pickup that attaches to the stern. I decided since everything was over 30 years old, that I would replace all.

My boat came with two speedometers. I believe that is for skiing purposes in case one speedometer stops working. (Somone may correct me if I'm wrong). So I figured one mechanical and one GPS would be cool

Comment

Working...
                              X