Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 Prostar windshield side panel damage from hurricane Ian.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Prostar windshield side panel damage from hurricane Ian.

After Hurricane Ian, I found my '87 Prostar with a March 2022 engine rebuild (cost more than value of boat) in our boat storage area, on its trailer, moved about 50 yards and jammed in with a lot of larger boats, with one sitting on the stern where a pretty good size bole is now located. Cover pulled off and torn, left panel windshield glass broken, swim deck shoved upward but not completely devastated. Trailer slightly twisted at the winch support (not a factory item, was added when I had the trailer rebuilt in January at Ramlin in Orlando at a cost of around $2200, they replaced the main structural steel rails and did a great job. I added a 2-speed winch, which got bent a bit in storm when whacked. Gelcoat scrapes on one side, eventually moved from its position and freed from the rubble to find a water mark inside the engine cover indicating the floodwaters from the nearby saltwater canal had settled just below the valve covers but may have splashed up higher during the actual event. The boat had never seen salt before as it is used only in fresh water before I bought it. we now have saltwater intrusion into our 2 lakes which may take a while to resolve. After explaining all this, my question is what do owners of older MCs do about windshield issues, especially the single year 87 style?

Originally posted by Harborseal2 View Post
    ...my question is what do owners of older MCs do about windshield issues, especially the single year 87 style?
    A few thoughts;
    1) A fellow can have a windshield made, within a limited number of fabricators.
    2) Have the broken piece replaced with a similar material. That can be DIY.
    3) Buy a junker and cannibalize what you need. There is a 90 make (same era as your 87...I think) for sale now on one of the censorship media sites. US $1,500. Steal of a deal in my opinion. It is not trashed out. You mention the single year design...I am thinking 87-90 are the same era. I could be wrong.
    4) Find a fabricator that will work with you on insurance and have one custom made. I have read where some folks have shelled out upwards of US $3,500 for one.

My votes are for # 2 and # 3. Your call.

Not much to go on but since you asked. It's all I got for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ad01.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2715693
    Last edited by waterlogged882; 10-27-2022, 08:53 PM.
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

IIRC the '87 windshield was slightly different than the 88-90. (a little lower) But it sounds like it was a side window that was damaged. These can be replaced more readily with Lexan plastic or maybe an automotive glass shop could cut one from a pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by tph View Post
        IIRC the '87 windshield was slightly different than the 88-90. (a little lower) But it sounds like it was a side window that was damaged. These can be replaced more readily with Lexan plastic or maybe an automotive glass shop could cut one from a pattern.
        ^ ^ This (# 2).

Thanks for the windshield info.

93 190
        (safe click)
        John 14:6
        (safe click)

Comment

Here are some pics of an '87 (Left)and an '89(right) On the '89 it looks like the middle panel on either side is a bit larger and the main windshield is a little higher off the dash.
          Though, It could be an illusion as that window on the '87 opens.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	87 mc.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2715704 Click image for larger version

Name:	89MCwindshield.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2715705

Comment

Does anyone have a schematic diagram showing how these parts fit together on the adjustable side window vent? Only year with this vent window system.

Comment

I hate to say this, but with all the other damage and the salt water intrusion. Have you considered taking the newly rebuilt engine and other good parts in your boat and use them to rebuild another boat of a similar year? I would certainly reuse all the wiring and electrical parts in the target boat that hadn't be exposed to salt water intrusion.
              -----------------------------------
              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

I had considered this, was looking at a few 91-94 vintage Pro stars, but prices are understandably high given price of new boats, and their desirability. I am operating on a retiree's budget, and have other expenses due to damage to the house that is not covered by homeowners' insurance, namely tree removal stump grinding etc. Would like to find a good freshwater hull from that vintage that needs an engine but might be harder to find that hen's tooth.

Comment

Working...
                X