Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service providers in Iowa or surrounding states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service providers in Iowa or surrounding states?

Hi everyone. I've been reading posts here for the last few months and have learned a lot from all the experienced MC owners. I bought a 2001 X Star for a good price this year knowing it needed some updates, but of course, I'm finding out there is more to fix than I expected. The seal on the prop shaft needs service and I likely need service on the transmission. I called Mastercraft dealers within a few hours drive and nobody will take it because it's 20 years old. I was maybe naive to think that I wouldn't have trouble getting the boat in for work and I've been really disappointed that I can't find anyone to take it. I'm pretty handy but would really like someone who knows what they are doing to take on this project. So my question is, can anyone direct me to a shop that will service a 20-year-old boat? I'm in Northeast Iowa but would travel quite a distance at this point to find someone that is willing to help. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Originally posted by nickblasberg View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been reading posts here for the last few months and have learned a lot from all the experienced MC owners. I bought a 2001 X Star for a good price this year knowing it needed some updates, but of course, I'm finding out there is more to fix than I expected. The seal on the prop shaft needs service and I likely need service on the transmission. I called Mastercraft dealers within a few hours drive and nobody will take it because it's 20 years old. I was maybe naive to think that I wouldn't have trouble getting the boat in for work and I've been really disappointed that I can't find anyone to take it. I'm pretty handy but would really like someone who knows what they are doing to take on this project. So my question is, can anyone direct me to a shop that will service a 20-year-old boat? I'm in Northeast Iowa but would travel quite a distance at this point to find someone that is willing to help. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
    V-drive or direct drive setup?
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

Look up Indmar certified marinas in your area and try one of them. Mastercraft dealers these days wouldn't know how to work on a 20 year old Predator or LTR motor anyway. If they can do the motor work, they can do shaft packing and transmission work no problem.
      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Midwest Watersports is a good service provider in MN.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

V-drive or direct drive setup?
          It's a V-drive.

That's a good tip to look for Indmar-certified marinas.

Comment

Originally posted by nickblasberg View Post

It's a V-drive.

That's a good tip to look for Indmar-certified marinas.
            In case you need it:

Request Test Drive Mail sent successfully. Enter your comment SEND
            2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Now that Nautique has bought Indmar, you can take it to a Nautique dealer

In my experience, you have to get pretty lucky to find a good independent boat mechanic that will work on older boats. So for most people that own a boat 10-15+ years old, working on it yourself ends up being the easiest viable option.
              Last edited by jpwhit; 11-17-2022, 02:20 PM.
              -----------------------------------
              Mastercraft ProStar 2019 5.7L - Current
              Mastercraft X25 2014 6.2L - Current
              Nautique 200 OB 2012 5.7L - Current

Comment

I'll second midwest mastercraft. Have you tried redline in Madison? I don't rate them as high as midwest, but it might be another option.

Comment

nickblasberg - Give Matt a call at Automotive Engineering. He's located in the Des Moines area and handles a lot of MasterCraft and Malibu overflow business for a few local dealers. He's a skier/barefooter and a genuinely good dude . Tell him the guys from Diamondhead Lake sent you.

Automotive Engineering
                  (515) 223-9220

Comment

Working...
                  X