90's Tristar into outboard-MC Prototype? Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90's Tristar into outboard-MC Prototype? Restoration

So, according to the guy who sold this to me in AZ this was a mastercraft prototype before he had it. I never confirmed this, but it does not have any holes for prop or rudder in the hull, no supports for an inboard engine. It appears to be a tristar conversion. When I purchased it the poorly welded jack box sitting on top of the swim step had failed and all that was left was some shredded outboard connections. I picked up a 1990 Yamaha 250 in Louisiana on my way back to PA.

Here is where I am at so far.
    Had the jack plate re-welded and strengthened, and then I drilled and bolted it at all critical spots so that will not fail again.
    Mounted the 250 on the back, installed the controls and took it for a test run.
    It was very tail heavy and drove like a drift car/jet boat - (didn't turn until the prop overcame the turned hull.)
    SO
    I have welded up a frame between the stringers and installed two tracking fins in similar fashion to my ski centurion barefoot warrior outboard- roughly 2/5ths forward from the back.
    Once the 3M sealer is cured I will be taking it for another test run, and bringing 5 gallon buckets of water to place in the nose. I plan on testing it with various weights in the front to find the optimum balance and then installing ballast tanks in the front for the future.

? Does anyone have suggestions on best method of filling/draining ballast tanks? I have several different tanks from old campers that I can use, just need to set up pumps or intakes or whatever.

? Anyone had a similar set up? I am wondering if this will allow me to turn and control well enough or if I will need to install an actual rudder like an inboard as well? (not sure how I would combine that with the hydrolic steering)

Questions? ask away, I will try to post pics later.
    Who reads posts? I just look at the pictures.

I think pics are necessary on this one?

Comment

^^^^^^^^This
      sigpic

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Comment

bump for pics

Comment

Originally posted by aquaman View Post
          I think pics are necessary on this one?
          CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
          sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
          REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
          REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
          Email - [email protected]