No announcement yet.

1984 Stars and Stripes Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made pretty good progress yesterday. Removed all the carpet, cut hole in floor to "look" at bubble. It is similiar to other post on the subject. 3 rows of three holes aproximately 2 inches each covered in a layer of thin fiberglass tape. Foam got wet and degraded or froze and popped the 1/8" fiberglass floor loose from the black "W's". Looked like I had a layer of Glueish stuff troweled on with a notched trowel? My thought is to cut out the two area on either side of the motor (18" x72") where its bad and clean it up and reglass. Should I remove all the foam as long as I'm there and put new in? any thoughts? TB
    Attached Files

Comment

Yesterday I also got two small surprises. 1:Learned I have a big fuel filter on passenger side of tank, will work at getting it apart and cleaning. 2: I had "access" covers installed in the floor under the tank. They were sealed down completely. I had to unscrew and pry them off they were stuck to the foam insulation. Someone had "repaired" the swim platform previously. They used 1/4" stainless bolts with nylocks no washers or backing plates. It LEAKED the foam was wet the transom appears to be in good shape still. The top nuts were just above the floor and had been epoxied in. My thoughts on repair was to use a stainless backer plate with 5/16" bolts welded. Stick the bolts out the holes as studs, epoxy and glass the inside. Bolt the bracket back on with cap nuts so it looks pretty. do you see any problems with the stud method or should I bolt from the outside in? TB
      Attached Files

Comment

It might be a good time to consider changing over to removeable brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by tph
          It might be a good time to consider changing over to removeable brackets.

I second that motion!!

If it ain't broke.......screw with it till it is!

Comment

Show me some pics! Every thread I search talks about all these great pictures that no longer exist. I like the idea of removable for more room in garage but the rattle thing has me leary. Wow I'm up to 18 posts when do I officially loose my Lurker status? I'm thinking of quiting my job to try and catch EastTexas skier!TB

Comment

Originally posted by dichdoc
              Should I remove all the foam as long as I'm there and put new in? any thoughts? TB
              I'd say, while you're in there do it right and take out ALL the old stuff then you know what's in there and you won't be guessing later on.
              1990 prostar 190, Ford 351 "FOR SALE"
              AND
              1993 ProStar 205, Ford 351, [email protected] est. 300 HP, Retro-fit 4160 Holley Carb. Edelbrock Performance Intake, ACME 13x12 3 blade prop. Perfect Pass Digital Pro. 6.5ng Multi Line Display, Factory Bimini and a Custom Observer Jump Seat built by Doug Himself!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dichdoc
                Show me some pics! Every thread I search talks about all these great pictures that no longer exist. I like the idea of removable for more room in garage but the rattle thing has me leary. Wow I'm up to 18 posts when do I officially loose my Lurker status? I'm thinking of quiting my job to try and catch EastTexas skier!TB
                The '89 I'm working on has "two part" brackets that remove with a few bolts. They are very sturdy and don't rattle at all. I'll try to get some pictures.

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 07:01 PM.
                  93 190
                  (safe click)

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM.
                    93 190
                    (safe click)

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 06:59 PM.
                      93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 06:58 PM.
                        93 190
                        (safe click)

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 06:58 PM.
                          93 190
                          (safe click)

Comment

Last edited by waterlogged882; 09-12-2015, 06:56 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

Comment

Attached Files
                              93 190
                              (safe click)

Comment

Great pics sporty, what would you think about bolts coming from the inside? Also anyone have thoughts on removing windshield to buff gel coat easier? Is it just screwed down? TB

Comment

Working...
                                X