Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

92 Barefoot 200 Construction/ Restoration questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say the foam depends on how wet the rest of the boat it. If it was stored so that the water could run out, you're gonna be ok. If not, wet foam isnt the end of the world. You can buy to stuff to mix up and repour it.

As for outboard weights, I think a 200 optimax mercury weighs the same as a 300xs racing model, so if you can get one, go nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by Spidermonkey View Post
      3- I see that its rated for 200HP, but see many people with 225 and 250s..even seen one with a 300. Has anyone seen transom cracking from too much HP on these boats? Does the weight between a 200 and 300 vary enough to cause problems with the wake table?
      The reason why an outboard is rated for a certain engine size is not because of weight. As said previously, the weight between a 200 and 300 horsepower motor is about the same.

The USCG has a formula that defines what a certain boat is capable of. That shows up on the plaque. If an operator has a motor more powerful than what it is rated for many bad things can happen. Ranging from the coast guard making you go home to insurance not paying out as a result of a claim. An interesting thread can be found below.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-motor-on-boat

Comment

Stig-Have you seen where the foam is in these boats? I am wondering how much is under the front deck..and if so, how hard it will be to get at it. Yes, I have taken out my fare share of foam...And based on what I saw (soaking seats, ripped cover...been outside basically abandoned on a trailer sitting level....its will be soaked im sure.

It works a bit different in Canada...From my experience or anyone that I know have never been checked...even in insurance situations.
        Here is a spinet from the small vessel regs. There is more to it, but basically you can make your own compliance label if you know what your doing.

"Builder, Manufacturer, Rebuilder and Importer

Compliance Notice

801 (1) The builder, manufacturer, rebuilder or importer of a vessel shall ensure that, before the initial transfer of ownership of the vessel to the reseller or end user, the vessel is fitted with a compliance notice permanently attached to the inside of the vessel, in a conspicuous location plainly visible from the operating position.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a vessel

(a) that is constructed, rebuilt or imported by an individual for their personal use; or"

as the "rebuilder" i would have to have calculations on file for 7 years to show that design loads are reasonable...which I can do as its my day job

Comment

Originally posted by Spidermonkey View Post
          Stig-Have you seen where the foam is in these boats? I am wondering how much is under the front deck..and if so, how hard it will be to get at it. Yes, I have taken out my fare share of foam...And based on what I saw (soaking seats, ripped cover...been outside basically abandoned on a trailer sitting level....its will be soaked im sure.

It works a bit different in Canada...From my experience or anyone that I know have never been checked...even in insurance situations.
          Here is a spinet from the small vessel regs. There is more to it, but basically you can make your own compliance label if you know what your doing.

"Builder, Manufacturer, Rebuilder and Importer

Compliance Notice

801 (1) The builder, manufacturer, rebuilder or importer of a vessel shall ensure that, before the initial transfer of ownership of the vessel to the reseller or end user, the vessel is fitted with a compliance notice permanently attached to the inside of the vessel, in a conspicuous location plainly visible from the operating position.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of a vessel

(a) that is constructed, rebuilt or imported by an individual for their personal use; or"

as the "rebuilder" i would have to have calculations on file for 7 years to show that design loads are reasonable...which I can do as its my day job
          You Canadians are crazy! The legal system is all over this is the USA.

Comment

Try asking a BF200 owner, always glad to help.
            NEW SKINS ...
            Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
            (865) 995 0607 Hm (BSURE 2 LVMSGE)
            (865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
            [email protected]

sigpic
            I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
            M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
            'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
            atlfootr

Comment

I've seen people run boats with all the foam taken out, but personally I'd like it there so I would replace. You can stick a paint stripper bit on a drill and get most of it out. I know on my outboard there's foam up in the bow and in the 2 rear corners straddling the wet well of the outboard, but I'd have to split the deck to see it.

As for over powering... go on scream and fly and tell those guys with 15' hydrostreams they can't have a 300xs on them...

Those tags are suggestions in some states, so I don't know your local laws, especially in Canada. If it were mine and I had the money... faster is always better, as long as it's safe.

Comment

My uneducated answer is..... WHY HAVENT YOU BOUGHT THIS ALREADY!

If you don't buy it PM me. I know a guy who will
                2004 Yellow X7

Comment

I did. Picking it up after the long weekend...

Comment

What did you end up getting it for ? $$$$$
                    NEW SKINS ...
                    Jim - "Upholstery Guy"
                    (865) 995 0607 Hm (BSURE 2 LVMSGE)
                    (865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
                    [email protected]

sigpic
                    I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
                    M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
                    'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
                    atlfootr

Comment

1800 CAD, works out to $1373 for you Yankees
                      I figure thats a safe price..If there was something really bad I couldn't see I could probably get my $ back in parting it out and selling the trailer. Not sure if I got taken for a ride..but I dont think so. Now lets just hope the trailer bearings are good enough to get it home... Speaking of trailer....It looks like it has breaks on that trailer..I can see a line running between the backing plates going to what looks like a brake. Cant tell in the photo I took but kinda looks hydraulic...Guess ill find out.

Comment

I have a 93 prostar that is museum quality. The bank will still lend 11k on a nice one. How many boats do you know that are 23 years old and the bank will finance them. Do that with a Glatron,Arrow Glass, Rinker, and on and on. Love my Mastercraft

Comment

Good Point dbatteiger. Got a picture or two for inspiration??
                          I think I can make this thing new again. Just takes time and money. I am hoping for more of the first then the second But it will be what it will be. I have 2 short projects ahead if the que...but hopefully will begin getting into it by the end of October. First thng il do is give at a good looking over when I get it home. I will probably bring in all the upholstery so no critters get into it. Living in the country, you find out how many critters like things like boat seat foam.
                          If I can get at the water logged foam Ill try getting out with my pressure washer. I have had success with previous boats using the right tip...just cuts it and blows it right out.

Comment

Congrats man!
                            I really love these BF200s. My dream is to keep my X7 and get one of these also.

I would think you would be able to find a decent used outboard motor and save some money but I don't know.

OR you could do this and be my hero..........
                            Attached Files
                            2004 Yellow X7

Comment

Personally, I don't think I would limit my selection based on surfing. I have not done it and it does look like fun, but not for very long.

Comment

Im selling dash panels for the BF200. They might be the same! Switches too! check out my Dash restoration thread for pics. I also live in Canada!
                                Check Out Morrison Lake Ski Club On

https://www.facebook.com/morrisonlakeskiclub/?fref=tsFacebook

Comment

Working...
                                X