• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brokenanew
    TT Regular
    • Aug 2016

88 Tristar restore, first on the list

First up as I winterize her this weekend, is redoing the bow eye. Ive had to keep tightening it. It seems the back plate is crushing in a bit of the fiberglass.

My question is before I tear into it, is there wood in that fiberglass? Ive heard some say yes, and some say no.

Help this newbie out fellas, can anyone sort of walk me through the repair process? Ive tried to search but did not turn much up.

It is a closed bow. I'm small so I can crawl in there and do some work moderately easy but Ive NEVER done anything with fiberglass. Please help.
  • wheelerd
    MC Devotee
    • Dec 2007

I had an open-bow Tstar -- was a 91. I don't think there was wood behind the bow eye.
    2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
    (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

• damaged442
      MC Fanatic
      • Aug 2007

I don't believe there is any wood in that location, but it has definitely been a while since I have crawled in there myself.
      1989 Tristar 190 - Indmar 351, 250HP, 1:1, 580 hours

Comment

• brokenanew
        TT Regular
        • Aug 2016

Thanks, I didn't think there was. Any tutorials or guidance I can get (or maybe some links) about how to go about fixing this. Ill have to clean out the part where the backing has crushing a bit and then re glass, but Ive never re glassed anything.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Comment

Working...
        X