1997 225 VRS Dash Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 225 VRS Dash Restoration

I have enjoyed this forum as a resource for a long time now taking away many tips to help me make repairs and upgrades. I have not posted many things so I wanted to share my dash rebuild.
    My initial plan was to change out the dash panels that i ordered from GWeaver last year, he did a great job and I was excited to get them installed.
    As I began this change out I decided the taupe dash was not what I wanted to keep long term and this would be the time to paint the dash.
    I wanted to go from taupe to gray so my friend told me that removing the dash was ot that big of a deal and we proceeded to remove. (Lucky for me he is very good with electrical).
    Removal of the panels and dash.....this is about the time my stomach began to hurt....more to come
    Attached Files

1997 225 VRS Dash Restoration

Next step was to wash the dash with dawn soap and water, scuff, wipe clean with precleano, then paint.
    I used Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint form O'Reillys auto parts - $6

The vinyl paint laid down smooth, I applied about 3 light coats allowing each to dry about 30 minutes between.
    My friend cut out templates from seaboard to lay in behind the screws of the face plates where the old ones had come loose.
    Then we began the rebuild of the dash with the panels.
    Replaced the non working clock with a new depth finder - fit perfectly.
    Reinstall the dash with new gauge lights and of course it had to have a new steering wheel.

My friend was a huge help, I would never had known how to reinstall all those wires - everything works as it should- I'm pretty happy with the results.
    Attached Files

Comment

The new dash looks great! Love the blue lighting on the gauge. That's a job well done!
      G

Comment

That looks great. Where did you get your steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Tateau18!

I found it on Ebay , ships out of Rome Ga.

Look up :
          New-OEM-Gussi-Boat-Steering-Wheel-M850-Black-Urethane-Rim-Brushed-Spoke

He has one listed on there now - $60.00

The quality is much better than I had expected from a $60 wheel.

Comment

Looks good.
            1989 Prostar 190 351 sold
            2008 Prostar 197 LY6

Comment

Looks great..... nice work

Comment

Looks amazing! How do you like the LED lights in the gauges? Are they brighter than stock? I almost switched mine over last winter but then I thought they might be too bright at night. I'm very interested to see how you like them.

Comment

Nice!!!! I too am interested in knowing about the LED light upgrade in the gauges.
                  Joe

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Comment

That looks very good, job well done!

Comment

Originally posted by Whalenjf View Post
                      Looks amazing! How do you like the LED lights in the gauges? Are they brighter than stock? I almost switched mine over last winter but then I thought they might be too bright at night. I'm very interested to see how you like them.
                      Whalenjf,
                      I haven't checked out the led's in the dark yet, but i will this weekend and let you know.
                      BTW, I liked your interior so much , all mine is at the shop now getting recovered very much like yours. Yours came out so good!

Comment

Originally posted by LotusV8 View Post
                        Thanks Tateau18!

I found it on Ebay , ships out of Rome Ga.

Look up :
                        New-OEM-Gussi-Boat-Steering-Wheel-M850-Black-Urethane-Rim-Brushed-Spoke

He has one listed on there now - $60.00

The quality is much better than I had expected from a $60 wheel.

Is the keyed hub what we need for our maristars?

Comment

Originally posted by fannin View Post

No ,Mine is a splined hub,

Comment

Originally posted by LotusV8 View Post
                            Whalenjf,
                            I haven't checked out the led's in the dark yet, but i will this weekend and let you know.
                            BTW, I liked your interior so much , all mine is at the shop now getting recovered very much like yours. Yours came out so good!
                            Thank you for the kind words! We are very happy with the way it turned out, it feels like a new boat now. I thought I saw a maristar in the background of one of their pictures on FB!

Reason I ask about the LED's is because I've done them in automotive clusters and they were very nice, but in the boat I end up throwing a shirt over the dash at night to see better... guess I could do that regardless haha.

Originally posted by fannin View Post
                            Like LotusV8 said, the hub is splined. I just replaced my splined hub that had a worn out bushing with the updated version that has a roller bearing in it. The steering is so much tighter! But I do have 991hrs on my boat haha.

Comment

WhalenJF,

- I tested the dash lights last night in the dark garage (with cold Sweetwater 420 in hand), I was very surprised how mild the blue dash lights were, I cant say they very any brighter than the original and not any glare. It could be different on the water but so far so good.

- Could you send me the link for the replacement steering hub you sourced? Mine has a little up and down play in it and cant find any way to tighten / correct it.

Comment

Working...
                              X