The reviving of a 93 ProStar 190

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reviving of a 93 ProStar 190

New member here with a project I got this summer. This thread will mostly be a record of things I get done on the boat along the way. I have already done quite a bit but still have more I want to get done before next season. Boat was pretty oxidized, the dealership it was at hired someone to buff it to try and make it more sellable but needed way more attention than that. After bringing it home I started on wet sanding and removal of the decals and rub rail. The rail was pretty chewed up in places and decided to go back with a semi rigid rail. I’ve never polished gel coat and gotta day it has taken me a lot of time and effort to figure out what this boat needs. It’s not perfect despite my trying but is certainly much better than where it was. The interior was completely shot and would need a complete interior job. On to some pics of what I started with..
    Attached Files

I’m not good at taking many before pictures but she was pretty rough.
    Attached Files

Comment

Between sanding I started removing all the interior to get ready for the upholsterer, removed the tank, installed all new coolant hoses, new fuel line, and general clean up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Had a local shop repair some spots on the gel coat and work on some buffing. It looked good in pictures but clearly needed some more sanding and polishing.
        Attached Files

Comment

Stripping out the carpet, what a nasty job. After I got the carpet out I was mr to clean the bilge area and transmission.
          Attached Files

Comment

Buddy and I removed the windshield to powder coat the frame and so I could polish the dash.
            Attached Files

Comment

Great job so far. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Comment

New carpet and interior! Back seat required a lot of work but my guy was able to save it despite the frame being completely rotten. The Interior was just set in so I could remove it. Still more work to do.
                Attached Files

Comment

A good era of boat to work on. I have done two 93s (restoration) and enjoyed the work.

You have a great start from what I see.

Several things to consider as you go...your call

1) re-wire the entire boat. Easy enough
                  2) move the battery to the front in the (so-called) cooler well.
                  3) add a second battery if you see the need
                  4) replace the kick panel under the deck with 3/4" ply board (that will serve you well with other needs for mounting, placement,etc.
                  5) move the fuel filter to the adjacent hull wall where the battery (was) is when you relocate it.
                  6) re-plumb the intake hose (intake to raw water pump) to allow moving the transmission cooler to a vertical position and mount to the bell housing. A future benefit for easy of watering and winterizing).
                  7) tape and mud the walls. Sand and finish...

Appears you have a plan. Thanks for sharing. Good looking results.

Good luck...

93 190
                  (safe click)
                  John 14:6
                  (safe click)

Comment

New switch panel, steering cable, and goodies.
                    Attached Files

Comment

After some frustration and a lot of time I was able to find a combination that made the gelcoat come to life. Finally able to move forward and go back together.
                      Attached Files

Comment

If you are going to add an amp and a sub, I found a scenario that works well for a self-powered and contained sub (no additional amp needed) and a perfect place for it.

93 190
                        (safe click)
                        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by SlickStar View Post
                          After some frustration and a lot of time I was able to find a combination that made the gelcoat come to life. Finally able to move forward and go back together.
                          Do tell more.

93 190
                          (safe click)
                          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                            A good era of boat to work on. I have done two 93s (restoration) and enjoyed the work.

You have a great start from what I see.

Several things to consider as you go...your call

1) re-wire the entire boat. Easy enough
                            2) move the battery to the front in the (so-called) cooler well.
                            3) add a second battery if you see the need
                            4) replace the kick panel under the deck with 3/4" ply board (that will serve you well with other needs for mounting, placement,etc.
                            5) move the fuel filter to the adjacent hull wall where the battery (was) is when you relocate it.
                            6) re-plumb the intake hose (intake to raw water pump) to allow moving the transmission cooler to a vertical position and mount to the bell housing. A future benefit for easy of watering and winterizing).
                            7) tape and mud the walls. Sand and finish...

Appears you have a plan. Thanks for sharing. Good looking results.

Good luck...

I do plan on moving the battery and possibly adding a second. I’ve gone back and forth on the wiring, everything works. The shop walls were put on hold when I brought this home lol

Comment

Originally posted by SlickStar View Post
                              I do plan on moving the battery and possibly adding a second. I’ve gone back and forth on the wiring, everything works. The shop walls were put on hold when I brought this home lol
                              I have photos of the work I have done if you want to see any at any time.

I particularly like the solution for a sub to make the cabin speakers sound well-rounded. Nothing special but effective to compliment four 6.5" speakers.

93 190
                              (safe click)
                              (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                              X