Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Carpet Replacement - Raccoon Damage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Made a little progress this weekend. I actually towed the boat to the dealer for a mechanical inspection before I start to put things back together. The only additional issue they found was a few wires under the dash that had been chewed through. They didn't think it would take long to fix, so I elected to have them do it.

    The gray SeaDek arrived in good shape. I took it downstairs and laid it flat on a ping pong table to take the curl out overnight. I'll start working on covering the various panels in the rear bunks and in front of the driver's seat so they will ready to reinstall when the boat is back.

    With the SeaDek getting rid of its curl and the boat unavailable to me, I spent my time cleaning up a speaker grill and the base for the captain's chair so they would be ready to install at the appropriate time.
    Attached Files
    2004 X-10

    186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

    Comment


    • #62
      Another quick update for those who may be interested. I picked up the three new floor panels from the metal fabricator and they are great. The fit is much better and there a much smaller gap now between the panels and the fiberglass. I am going to use new stainless steel butt hinges for the panel over the middle ballast bag, as I like the look of them better (pic below.)

      Next step will be to create a template for the Gatorstep flooring so I can send it off. After that, I'll begin to install the grey Seadek in the storage bunks and reinstall the new vinyl cushions. It feels great to be at the stage of putting things back together.

      More pics soon.
      Attached Files
      2004 X-10

      186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

      Comment


      • #63
        I’ll be excited to see your boat finished. I am taking on the exact same project except I have a motor swap involved as well so it may take a little while to be completely done. Can I ask how much your new floor panels ended up being? And also the cost for your new seat covers? I am trying to get a rough idea of what my re upholstery will cost.

        Comment


        • #64
          I have similar Clarion speaker grill covers, are they easy to remove? did they just pop off? I'd like to clean mine also.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Sully_6 View Post
            I’ll be excited to see your boat finished. I am taking on the exact same project except I have a motor swap involved as well so it may take a little while to be completely done. Can I ask how much your new floor panels ended up being? And also the cost for your new seat covers? I am trying to get a rough idea of what my re upholstery will cost.
            Sounds like an even bigger project than mine! Let me know when you get started as I'd like to follow along.

            The new panels were a bit more expensive than I had hoped, it was $650ish for all three. They did turn out really well as you can see in the photos. I switched to a new hinge style for the ballast bag cover and think the new style of hinges will look great with the new flooring.

            The seats were $5,400 and change, but that included everything - - - removing the old covers, replacing the vinyl and foam and putting the covers back on the seats. I knew I didn't want to tackle the installation of the new covers, as the vinyl is such a big part of the beauty of a MasterCraft.

            This project is more involved than I had expected and I'm sure others would be able to do the same quality of work themselves and save some money. But, I'm doing the things I am comfortable doing (tearing out the old carpet, prepping the surfaces, installing the bunk coverings, rear ballast and new floor) and hiring out the things I don't have the tools and/or knowledge to do.

            Good luck with your project!
            Attached Files
            2004 X-10

            186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by 01star View Post
              I have similar Clarion speaker grill covers, are they easy to remove? did they just pop off? I'd like to clean mine also.
              Yes, super easy to do. I just carefully pried off the cover with a flat screwdriver and it popped right off.
              2004 X-10

              186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by musicmd View Post
                Sounds like an even bigger project than mine! Let me know when you get started as I'd like to follow along.

                The new panels were a bit more expensive than I had hoped, it was $650ish for all three. They did turn out really well as you can see in the photos. I switched to a new hinge style for the ballast bag cover and think the new style of hinges will look great with the new flooring.

                The seats were $5,400 and change, but that included everything - - - removing the old covers, replacing the vinyl and foam and putting the covers back on the seats. I knew I didn't want to tackle the installation of the new covers, as the vinyl is such a big part of the beauty of a MasterCraft.

                This project is more involved than I had expected and I'm sure others would be able to do the same quality of work themselves and save some money. But, I'm doing the things I am comfortable doing (tearing out the old carpet, prepping the surfaces, installing the bunk coverings, rear ballast and new floor) and hiring out the things I don't have the tools and/or knowledge to do.

                Good luck with your project!

                I’ve actually already started, last week I pulled the motor and transmission, removed basically everything in the back end of the boat, pulled all the old carpet and marine board from the rear lockers all the way to the main floor. Haven’t gotten the carpet pulled from the sides or the front of the boat yet, I’ve also removed all of my ballast hoses, and a bunch of wiring that I will be re routing. When I get my motor/trans parts, flooring, and misc parts together I will start a new thread complete with pictures of the progress. All of my upholstery foam seems to be in good shape still so I am hoping to be able to just get new covers done. I will be calling a local shop and check their price and call some others that are semi local to see what I can get done for a good price. I will be following your thread and I will try to remember to let you know when I start mine up. Good luck on the rest of it!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Thanks! Look forward to following your project, as well.
                  2004 X-10

                  186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Quick update. Was able to do the Gatorstep template today, so I'll send that off in the morning. While I'm waiting to hear back, I'm going to start putting the Seadek in the bunks and installing the new vinyl. Progress!

                    Photos soon.
                    2004 X-10

                    186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Small panel?

                      Hi, I've run into a bit of a snag and need some guidance.

                      I received the Gatorstep paper templates and checked them out last night. I was surprised they are as close as they are (based on my drawings, not based on the skill of Gatorstep.) I made some changes and sent the paper templates back.

                      However, there is one section Gatorstep said they can't do because it is too narrow. That is the black section corresponding to the blue arrow in the pic below. Apparently, if we do Gatorstep that narrow, it will pull up quite easily.

                      I'm curious about the small access panel in the drawing (red arrow). I know that gives me access to the bilge pump, but I'm wondering if that is absolutely necessary. If I can get to everything I need by removing the big panel (green arrow) then I can have one piece of Gatorstep covering that the black area and the small panel and not have to worry about that thin area getting pulled up.

                      Is it absolutely required that the small panel be removable? I realize it would be a bit of a PITA if you had to remove the big panel any time you needed to get to that area, but it would solve the Gatorstep issue.

                      Thoughts?

                      (If this won't work, I'll probably go the route of Dekadence which can be rolled back if access to those panels is required.

                      Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

                      Mark
                      Attached Files
                      2004 X-10

                      186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by musicmd View Post
                        Hi, I've run into a bit of a snag and need some guidance.

                        I received the Gatorstep paper templates and checked them out last night. I was surprised they are as close as they are (based on my drawings, not based on the skill of Gatorstep.) I made some changes and sent the paper templates back.

                        However, there is one section Gatorstep said they can't do because it is too narrow. That is the black section corresponding to the blue arrow in the pic below. Apparently, if we do Gatorstep that narrow, it will pull up quite easily.

                        I'm curious about the small access panel in the drawing (red arrow). I know that gives me access to the bilge pump, but I'm wondering if that is absolutely necessary. If I can get to everything I need by removing the big panel (green arrow) then I can have one piece of Gatorstep covering that the black area and the small panel and not have to worry about that thin area getting pulled up.

                        Is it absolutely required that the small panel be removable? I realize it would be a bit of a PITA if you had to remove the big panel any time you needed to get to that area, but it would solve the Gatorstep issue.

                        Thoughts?

                        (If this won't work, I'll probably go the route of Dekadence which can be rolled back if access to those panels is required.

                        Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

                        Mark

                        IIRC, the biggest things that small panel accesses are your mid-bilge and your ballast hoses. Maybe your depth sounder as well. I dont know that I would want it inaccessible as those things may be difficult to reach even with the larger access open. I think the larger access is for your fuel tank and may not actually provide much "access" to the hull area. I'd have to look to be sure

                        Another option may be to run the Seadek under the sides into the storage area there just a little bit. I believe you can pry it up enough to get the seadek under it and that should help hold it down.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by 73blue View Post
                          IIRC, the biggest things that small panel accesses are your mid-bilge and your ballast hoses. Maybe your depth sounder as well. I dont know that I would want it inaccessible as those things may be difficult to reach even with the larger access open. I think the larger access is for your fuel tank and may not actually provide much "access" to the hull area. I'd have to look to be sure

                          Another option may be to run the Seadek under the sides into the storage area there just a little bit. I believe you can pry it up enough to get the seadek under it and that should help hold it down.
                          Thank you! This is fantastic feedback. I confirmed with Gatorstep that sliding a bit of it under the fiberglass would be a good solution. And, I also agree that it would be ideal to maintain service access via the small panel.

                          Actually, now I'm wondering if I only slide the small section which is otherwise too narrow, or if I do that all the way around so it looks consistent. That might be a better solution (although I remember prying up the sections in the bow was pretty difficult when removing the carpeting.)

                          Thanks, again, for the feedback.
                          2004 X-10

                          186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Also wanted to share a quick photo. The original fiberglass platform has really been showing its age. There were a number of nicks and gouges along the back edge when we bought it and I hadn't gotten around to fixing them.

                            As part of this big project, I decided to buy a new platform from Teak World. It arrived last week and it is absolutely gorgeous.

                            Here's a photo of it in the shipping crate. I'll provide more photos of it once the boat is all back together.

                            I would also say - - - not only is the woodworking fantastic, Teak World was absolutely great to work with. Very responsive and helpful. I would recommend them 100%.
                            Attached Files
                            2004 X-10

                            186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by musicmd View Post
                              I would also say - - - not only is the woodworking fantastic, Teak World was absolutely great to work with. Very responsive and helpful. I would recommend them 100%.
                              Agree with this, I called them to ask about ordering a transom saver for my Prostar and I couldn't believe I was talking to Tommy Nation, the owner. Very nice guy.
                              2000 Prostar 205V

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                2004 X-10 Update

                                It's been a bit of time since I've posted, but due to crazy work schedules, some family vacations and other various things, time to work on the X-10 has been pretty hard to find.

                                I did get a lot of work done last weekend and have some updates to share. I'm also able to see the finish line approaching.

                                I decided against the SeaDeck for the storage bunks, mainly because carpet is easier to work around the curves and corners and I was worried about it getting damaged over time when skis and other assorted equipment were taken in and out. (I do have a few full sheets of Seadeck in gray in case anyone is interested in them . . .)

                                I selected 20lb gray carpeting from Boatcarpet.com and started with the panels in the rear bunks, as well as the starboard rear bunk. More carpeting and adhesive arrives tomorrow so that I can hopefully finish the bunks over the weekend.

                                While waiting for the carpet, I sanded the glue residue off the main cabin floor using 120 grit paper and am ready to paint it with black marine paint. After that, I can install the Gatorstep flooring, which arrived a few days ago. Installing the new cushions and the teak swim platform will be all that's left.

                                It's been a slow go with COVID and other projects but we are excited to see the finished product. I'll keep posting photos as I'm able.
                                Attached Files
                                2004 X-10

                                186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X