Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musicmd
    replied
    I wanted to send a quick update to those following the progress. The good news is that the GatorStep floor is in and it looks fantastic. I snapped a single photo using my phone and intended to take a bunch of other photos once I got the boat outside and in the sunshine. However, the Wisconsin Winter made that a bit more difficult, as we had nothing but a lot of cloudy, cold weather over the past week or so.

The X-10 is getting winterized and then I'll be putting it away for the Winter. We are certainly looking forward to getting out on the water next Spring. I'll come back and post more photos when they are available. But, I'm really happy with how the new vinyl, new carpeting and new flooring turned out. It will also be fun to see how the boat behaves with the upgraded WakeMakers bags in the back.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice along the way,

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
    Really nice job - and a labor of love (or hate of raccoons, whichever feels best for you).

Hey, working in healthcare myself, just a shout-out and big THANKS for whatever you do for your community's patients, clinical care workers, or families. That commitment to the unselfish work that was required over the last year + was not lost on me, and shouldn't be lost on any of us that read your thread and saw how many times you were focused on something else besides your own world. So again, thank you. And hopefully all this makes the next time out in the boat (probably next spring) all the better. You deserve it. And store the boat smartly this year!
    Thanks for the very kind words, and for the things you've also done during the pandemic. It has been a crazy time, to be sure.

I am entering the final stages of the project, with just a bit of bunk carpeting to install, then the Gatorstep flooring. It's clearly Fall in Wisconsin, so I'm not sure if we'll get much time on the water. But, you're right - - - it will be really great to have it all together and ready to go in the Spring!

Thanks, again, for your message. Will post more photos soon as the project come to a close!

Leave a comment:

• Jeffer
    replied
    Really nice job - and a labor of love (or hate of raccoons, whichever feels best for you).

Hey, working in healthcare myself, just a shout-out and big THANKS for whatever you do for your community's patients, clinical care workers, or families. That commitment to the unselfish work that was required over the last year + was not lost on me, and shouldn't be lost on any of us that read your thread and saw how many times you were focused on something else besides your own world. So again, thank you. And hopefully all this makes the next time out in the boat (probably next spring) all the better. You deserve it. And store the boat smartly this year!

Leave a comment:

• 2RLAKE
    replied
    wow that is terrific ... great job

Leave a comment:

• brucemac
    replied
    looking good!

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    A few updates to share, as I've finally been able to spend a few hours here and there.

Decided to finish the back bunks and install the new ballast. Started by changing the three impellers, then installed the rest of the carpeting to the bunk floors and gunnels.

After installing the new hoses for the two WakeMakers ballast sacks, I installed the newly carpeted panels (after reinforcing the panels next to the engine with the WakeMakers kit). I connected the two bags and then installed the three doors over the bunks and engine compartment.

Today, I was able to install carpeting in the bunk beneath the port side seats, and then installed the newly carpeted cup holder and back rest. I really like how the new vinyl and new carpeting looks together.

Next, I'll carpet the rest of the bunks in the bow and the gunnel next to the driver's seat, install the rest of the vinyl and then install the Gatorstep flooring in the cabin. It's been a big project, but I'm happy with how it is coming together.

More soon as things progress.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• BacNBlak
    replied
    Keep the grind going, looks good!

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    2004 X-10 Update

It's been a bit of time since I've posted, but due to crazy work schedules, some family vacations and other various things, time to work on the X-10 has been pretty hard to find.

I did get a lot of work done last weekend and have some updates to share. I'm also able to see the finish line approaching.

I decided against the SeaDeck for the storage bunks, mainly because carpet is easier to work around the curves and corners and I was worried about it getting damaged over time when skis and other assorted equipment were taken in and out. (I do have a few full sheets of Seadeck in gray in case anyone is interested in them . . .)

I selected 20lb gray carpeting from Boatcarpet.com and started with the panels in the rear bunks, as well as the starboard rear bunk. More carpeting and adhesive arrives tomorrow so that I can hopefully finish the bunks over the weekend.

While waiting for the carpet, I sanded the glue residue off the main cabin floor using 120 grit paper and am ready to paint it with black marine paint. After that, I can install the Gatorstep flooring, which arrived a few days ago. Installing the new cushions and the teak swim platform will be all that's left.

It's been a slow go with COVID and other projects but we are excited to see the finished product. I'll keep posting photos as I'm able.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dpb185
    replied
    Originally posted by musicmd View Post
    I would also say - - - not only is the woodworking fantastic, Teak World was absolutely great to work with. Very responsive and helpful. I would recommend them 100%.
    Agree with this, I called them to ask about ordering a transom saver for my Prostar and I couldn't believe I was talking to Tommy Nation, the owner. Very nice guy.

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Also wanted to share a quick photo. The original fiberglass platform has really been showing its age. There were a number of nicks and gouges along the back edge when we bought it and I hadn't gotten around to fixing them.

As part of this big project, I decided to buy a new platform from Teak World. It arrived last week and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Here's a photo of it in the shipping crate. I'll provide more photos of it once the boat is all back together.

I would also say - - - not only is the woodworking fantastic, Teak World was absolutely great to work with. Very responsive and helpful. I would recommend them 100%.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Originally posted by 73blue View Post
    IIRC, the biggest things that small panel accesses are your mid-bilge and your ballast hoses. Maybe your depth sounder as well. I dont know that I would want it inaccessible as those things may be difficult to reach even with the larger access open. I think the larger access is for your fuel tank and may not actually provide much "access" to the hull area. I'd have to look to be sure

Another option may be to run the Seadek under the sides into the storage area there just a little bit. I believe you can pry it up enough to get the seadek under it and that should help hold it down.
    Thank you! This is fantastic feedback. I confirmed with Gatorstep that sliding a bit of it under the fiberglass would be a good solution. And, I also agree that it would be ideal to maintain service access via the small panel.

Actually, now I'm wondering if I only slide the small section which is otherwise too narrow, or if I do that all the way around so it looks consistent. That might be a better solution (although I remember prying up the sections in the bow was pretty difficult when removing the carpeting.)

Thanks, again, for the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• 73blue
    replied
    Originally posted by musicmd View Post
    Hi, I've run into a bit of a snag and need some guidance.

I received the Gatorstep paper templates and checked them out last night. I was surprised they are as close as they are (based on my drawings, not based on the skill of Gatorstep.) I made some changes and sent the paper templates back.

However, there is one section Gatorstep said they can't do because it is too narrow. That is the black section corresponding to the blue arrow in the pic below. Apparently, if we do Gatorstep that narrow, it will pull up quite easily.

I'm curious about the small access panel in the drawing (red arrow). I know that gives me access to the bilge pump, but I'm wondering if that is absolutely necessary. If I can get to everything I need by removing the big panel (green arrow) then I can have one piece of Gatorstep covering that the black area and the small panel and not have to worry about that thin area getting pulled up.

Is it absolutely required that the small panel be removable? I realize it would be a bit of a PITA if you had to remove the big panel any time you needed to get to that area, but it would solve the Gatorstep issue.

Thoughts?

(If this won't work, I'll probably go the route of Dekadence which can be rolled back if access to those panels is required.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Mark

IIRC, the biggest things that small panel accesses are your mid-bilge and your ballast hoses. Maybe your depth sounder as well. I dont know that I would want it inaccessible as those things may be difficult to reach even with the larger access open. I think the larger access is for your fuel tank and may not actually provide much "access" to the hull area. I'd have to look to be sure

Another option may be to run the Seadek under the sides into the storage area there just a little bit. I believe you can pry it up enough to get the seadek under it and that should help hold it down.

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Small panel?

Hi, I've run into a bit of a snag and need some guidance.

I received the Gatorstep paper templates and checked them out last night. I was surprised they are as close as they are (based on my drawings, not based on the skill of Gatorstep.) I made some changes and sent the paper templates back.

However, there is one section Gatorstep said they can't do because it is too narrow. That is the black section corresponding to the blue arrow in the pic below. Apparently, if we do Gatorstep that narrow, it will pull up quite easily.

I'm curious about the small access panel in the drawing (red arrow). I know that gives me access to the bilge pump, but I'm wondering if that is absolutely necessary. If I can get to everything I need by removing the big panel (green arrow) then I can have one piece of Gatorstep covering that the black area and the small panel and not have to worry about that thin area getting pulled up.

Is it absolutely required that the small panel be removable? I realize it would be a bit of a PITA if you had to remove the big panel any time you needed to get to that area, but it would solve the Gatorstep issue.

Thoughts?

(If this won't work, I'll probably go the route of Dekadence which can be rolled back if access to those panels is required.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

Mark
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Quick update. Was able to do the Gatorstep template today, so I'll send that off in the morning. While I'm waiting to hear back, I'm going to start putting the Seadek in the bunks and installing the new vinyl. Progress!

Photos soon.

Leave a comment:

• musicmd
    replied
    Thanks! Look forward to following your project, as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X