Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member with an endless project list!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with an endless project list!

Hello all!

A LOT of work ahead of me, anyone care to chime in with tips on tackling my endless list?

By way of intro my name is Marc—for years I had been saving up for a big wakeboard boat, then a friend’s dad bought one ...and handed me the keys to his ‘91 Prostar we skied on back in high school. WOW. So I figure I can put what I would have put down on a big boat toward restoring this little thing...and it needs a LOT of work. More duct tape than vinyl, JB Weld patch in the head (that turned into a HOLE in the head hours after a dealer looked at it and told me “ski on it as long as you want—those things HOLD!”) So I spent August doing the heads myself with a couple of mechanic friends. (Two tries on the intake manifold—leaked the first time because you can’t use seals designed for cast iron on an aluminum one, whoops.)

Anyway plan was I have two kids under two, I’ll teach them to ski on this guy until I get a bigger boat like the old 80s Supra I grew up on. (Of course I’ve been priced WAY out of the Supra market haha)

But then I DROVE this thing. Even with the patch on the heads, it damn near hit factory top speed, 43 MPH, nearly pulled my arm off with its powerslot, and the maneuvering—MAN it’s like a little sports car. So now I’m thinking... who wants one of those wakeboard barges?? I don’t even wakeboard!!

Wrapping up. It’s in the shop for fiberglass, vinyl and carpet work right now. Waiting for them to give me the trailer to tackle. Until then I’m just doing little things while my 2-year-old son says every other day: “Wanna go to lake today, dada? Ride on boat faster and faster??”

This forum has been a MASSIVE help so far, so it was about time I officially joined up.

Questions:
    I see a few threads here on replacing steering/throttle cables and gauges, but no really in-depth ones. Is that because those are pretty simple jobs you can do by following a generic YouTube video? Thinking I should maybe do this while the floor is out. Anyone have a source for a set of new gauges—or do you just have to measure and replace them one by one?

When out of the water if you turn the prop shaft by hand in reverse it makes a loud wailing noise. That normal?

I love him, but the previous owner maaay have let a bit of rust get to...everything. I don’t think the exhaust manifold plugs had been pulled in years before I did it, out came a flowing handful of rust when I did. Do I need to replace those? They don’t look like originals so they shouldn’t be THAT old! I was gonna put the drains from DIM I saw on this forum, but that much rust will just clog them, no?

Rot in some floorboards around the driver seat and pylon. Stringers are fiberglass right—not a huge concern for anything underneath I hope?

Then a LOT more I’ll maybe ask about later as I work down the list. But I’ve probably already made you guys go, WOAH, EASY ON THE BOOKPOST!

i think all your gauges should have a direct replacement from faria, they may not have the MC logo but theyll work anyway
    dash should be an easy pull and just replace like for like once youve got the front plate off

Comment

Agreed on easy gauge swap, you don't have a MMDC (And you don't want one). Steering cable is an easy swap, not positive on the 91', but should be straight forward. Lots of threads on that subject. Needless to say, you don't have a boat unless you post pics (unless my work vpn has taken them off the post). Congrats!

Comment

I stopped at JB Weld.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by tjrowbot View Post
          Agreed on easy gauge swap, you don't have a MMDC (And you don't want one). Steering cable is an easy swap, not positive on the 91', but should be straight forward. Lots of threads on that subject. Needless to say, you don't have a boat unless you post pics (unless my work vpn has taken them off the post). Congrats!

Hahaha thanks!! I tried to post pics but I don’t know, maybe they posted to my profile??

Still figuring this out on my phone!

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

I stopped at JB Weld.

What’s not to love???

Comment

The floor piece dont rot. The are metal honey comb.

I epoxied my rear floor panel the same way years ago. If its really bad you can replace with marine plywood or starboard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Oh wow, awesome. Thanks for responding! Assumed at least in and around the front of the driver’s seat it would be plywood. Guess when I get the carpet stripped I’ll see what happened.

Spent today grinding rusted seat hinges, platform brackets, and the transom vent covers. Think the vents would look much better stainless, but black paint seems to be the way they are done from what I see on here.

Trying to save my faded old steering wheel, too—what is the grip, vinyl? Hopefully vinyl spray paint won’t come off on my hands!

Comment

Be careful on the carpet glue, I used 3m 4200 and also like the loctite equivelent.. may of the carpet glues wont set up well on aluminum and or gelcoat.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Keep the updates and pics coming. I love a good resto thread and you have a great platform to work with. Great work so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                      Keep the updates and pics coming. I love a good resto thread and you have a great platform to work with. Great work so far!

Will do! The list is very long...speaking of platform...problem is when I do that I want to do the brackets...and then the other hardware...

Comment

great project ... love these

good luck

Comment

Have almost finished the wheel in time to get the trailer back from the fiberglass shop. Hope I don’t get nailed by purists for changing to light gray to match the seats! Thanks to tips on here I went to Domed Numbers for the decal!

Comment

May have bitten off more than I could chew on this trailer—WOW a lot of work. Anyone have a link to an exact-match keel pad? And what do you do on the sides there, just glue pieces of carpet on the fiberglass?? Was planning on going with GatorBak for the bunks:

Are they supposed to be TWO stacked 2x4s on each side?

Last edited by MarCraft1991; 11-14-2020, 06:11 AM. Reason: Found answer, led to NEW question

Comment

I realize I’m now basically talking to myself on this thing, and I know WHY now—half the threads on here are guys taking their boats down to the stringers and doing their own fiberglass work and such...and here I am pumped to take my fenders off haha. Oh well, I was happy to get the rusty spots ground down over the last few days, and the rust converter on today. Paint this weekend.

One more question I’ll shout to the dark. I saw on here that 1991s have tubular trailers instead of my c-style rails. Do I have a different trailer than my ‘91 boat??

Comment

Working...
                              X