Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member with an endless project list!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^

mikeg205,

Deja vu!

The trailer for my 205 looks just like yours. As we speak, it's being sandblasted and painted, then home for new bunks and wiring.

And coincidentally, I bought mine in your home state of Illinois 7 years ago
    Last edited by Miss Rita; 12-12-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Gave up on GatorBak for now since I thought it would look odd to have an exposed painted 2x4 under a covered one. They don’t do 4x4s.

So I’m following everything I found on other carpet threads—don’t cover the bottom wood entirely, electric staple gun, stainless steel staples, etc.

But this has turned out quite interesting with my odd stacked and angled 2x4 bunks for this wrongly-matched trailer. Maybe I should have just done 4x4s!? Combo of odd angled cuts, extra bolt holes, warped pressure treated wood after I thought I’d been pretty selective...not as easy as it looked, just stapling carpet on bunk boards. But it’s coming along, worlds better than what it was, I think. Learning not to try to copy the old boards and bolt holes, just start with them on the trailer.

Finishing front bunks and roller, then getting more lights and wiring while starting on fenders. Have to figure out a way to get the fender bolts with broken heads out.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2408661
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2408662

Comment

Someone before you went to great lengths to modify that trailer.

As you put in the new wiring, make sure you have a clean bare metal surface for the ground wires at each light.

Looks good so far.

Patience.

93 190
        (safe click)

Comment

Ahhh yes I was a fool and forgot to tape off a spot for them. Should have just painted around the old ones.

Bunks are done—what a feeling. Hope not to have to experience it again though for awhile!

Now to drill out the rusted-solid bolts with broken heads under the fenders... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2129.jpg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2408678

Comment

Nice work! Me too make my trailer x-30 last year.
            Attached Files

Comment

next steep rebuild ending.
              Attached Files

Comment

step next restoration
                Attached Files

Comment

You're doing an awesome job!...

and cool on where you got your from M. Rita

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg205 View Post
                    You're doing an awesome job!...

and cool on where you got your from M. Rita

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                    from the beginning to the end of about 4 months.I did everything in my free time, 2-4 hours 2-3 times a week.. June-September. This is a normal attitude to things. If you want to do well, do it yourself! Thank you for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by motomario View Post
                      from the beginning to the end of about 4 months.I did everything in my free time, 2-4 hours 2-3 times a week.. June-September. This is a normal attitude to things. If you want to do well, do it yourself! Thank you for your support!
                      Motomario you need to start a resto thread. I would love to follow your progress. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                        Motomario you need to start a resto thread. I would love to follow your progress. Nice work!
                        Thank you for your rating. I really like to improve my boat inside and out. In Russia, many people do it with their own hands. Materials and tools are available.but you need to have the desire and skills to develop. There are very few qualified services for boats and even more so for trailers.And in those.that there are very high prices. Restoration is a little different from simple repairs, so if there is a planned time, it is better to do everything according to technology. It may not be fast, but it is high-quality and pleasant. As efficiently as your skills allow.

Comment

New member with an endless project list!

I’m still here and it’s coming along, have had some delays because I had ordered wheels and lighting for what I THOUGHT was a 1991 trailer... also have bolts rusted solid in the fender holes with sheared off heads. Had burned though several metal bits trying to drill through or extract them. Even a welder I took it to gave up and said I had to drill new ones! Have enough holes to secure fender, but I hate not getting rid of the empty fender bolt holes. May cover them with a circle of grip tape or something—save it for next year’s project.

Been fun learning how to do all the wiring. Question—I have two side markers on each fender. Amber front, red back. Had anyone ever rigged the rear red to the turn signal/brake wire? Or do you just leave them alone as running lights?

The schematics Ive gotten off previous threads here are a bit different, so I’ve made my own to work. But before I start splicing, just wanted to ask.
                          Last edited by MarCraft1991; 12-12-2020, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Question—I have two side markers on each fender. Amber front, red back. Had anyone ever rigged the rear red to the turn signal/brake wire? Or do you just leave them alone as running lights?
                            That's an interesting idea, I wonder if that would improve the safety. There is a legal requirement about having amber and red side marker lights on trailers of a given length. Considering that your tow vehicle has turn signals I don't think adding additional turn signals on the side of trailer would offer much benefit.

Comment

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2408872

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2408873

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	2408874

Finally got fenders reattached with decals, carpet and wiring done after using a friend’s plasma torch to blow out the headless bolts. Not sure why welder didn’t suggest that, but I’m glad I don’t have to cover empty holes with stickers or whatever. Also changed rusted self-drilling bolts to stainless screws with proper washers, etc. Not sure if self-drilling junk was factory or add-on...boy it looks good, though. Now it’s back to the fiberglass shop to start on vinyl...I have some custom ideas.

Comment

Looks great.

A side note of trivia factoid...TN does not require trailer registration for trailers that carry a boat. No registration tag required.

You did a good job on that retrofit. I like the LEDs. I swapped over a good while back. Much safer visibility.

93 190
                                (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                                X