1980 S&S Restoration and Modernization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by liledgy View Post
    great thread! had to read all 17 pages, you have amazing talents. ive been busy and havnt been on team talk for awhile.
    Appreciate the kind words. Still have a lot to learn (and I only post about some of my mistakes, so don’t give me too much credit!).

Comment

• Yesterday was a long day, but with good progress on the (hopefully) final stages of body work before gel coat. I had previously primed the deck and motor box. After block sanding them, the deck was pretty straight and the motor box looked like monkey crap. I had not yet primed the hull or the filler panel in front of the gas tank.

The hull was a wavy mess out of the mold, and had required some extensive repairs where it had dock rash, had been beached, etc. Hopefully with a couple coats of primer it will be a bit straighter.

Got the discount paint booth set back up, gave everything a bath and an acetone wipe down, and sprayed almost five gallons of Duratec vinyl ester fairing primer. This is basically a sprayable putty, filled with glass spheres to provide filler material.

I’ll give a bit more detail on this in case anyone is doing this in the future because there is little documentation to find on what to expect as you spray it. First, you want a helper. It’s best to go quickly and not let the material you spray get too dry before you put on the next batch, that is, keep a wet edge. Because 5 gallons equates to mixing over 50 batches, and you need to clean the gun about every third batch, it’s tough to do by yourself.

The material is thick. It barely runs through a filter. In fact, it’s thick enough that before I sprayed, I mixed a bit and spread it into some pin holes that had appeared as I sanded the old gel coat. When spraying this material, use the largest tip you can find, a small pattern, and lay it on fat. It doesn’t run.

You want to work in small sections so you don’t have too long between coats. For that reason, it looks pretty patchy when you finish spraying, but after sanding it will be uniform.

And wear a respirator. There are a lot of fumes. You can’t even open the can without getting a headache. I finished 10 hours ago and it’s still letting off. Nasty stuff.

A few pics of the process are below. Have some yard work today but hope to get it out in the sun later and see what I cobbed up.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ... and the hull.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Have you made a final decision on the color scheme?

93 190
          (safe click)

Comment

• Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post

Have you made a final decision on the color scheme?

Not quite yet. The main color will be a navy-ish blue. Still debating on silver flake, plain white, or if I get a bit goofy, maybe a white flake for the stripe. Flake is a lot more work, though, based on research so far...

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
              Not quite yet. The main color will be a navy-ish blue. Still debating on silver flake, plain white, or if I get a bit goofy, maybe a white flake for the stripe. Flake is a lot more work, though, based on research so far...
              Silver flake with navy would look phenomenal.

Comment

• looking terrific ... great job on this

Comment

• Silver flake with navy would look phenomenal.
                  +2 on that.

Comment

• Navy base with Sky Blue Metalflake, .015, would be very subtle change of color. You could use white as a separating point(or not) to help with the clear and final sanding. Just a thought.
                    1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• Originally posted by bret View Post
                      Navy base with Sky Blue Metalflake, .015, would be very subtle change of color. You could use white as a separating point(or not) to help with the clear and final sanding. Just a thought.

That looks pretty dang nice. What is the base color below the sky blue flake?

Comment

• Its said to be dark navy blue, not sure about what base went under the sky blue...I would guess a light grey or white? I couldn't find the old Glastron picture but found this pic above which is REAL close to an old boat that a friend had ages ago.

Here is a 1984 ( I think, guy in our ski club, his dads boat ) cream with a rust/orange/copper colored metal flake.

The simplicity of the interior here almost makes it seem elegant.
                        Last edited by bret; 04-04-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Engine is mostly assembled. Lots of little stuff to finish up, and it all needs wired.

New intake on (after I cracked the original), Sniper set but not wired in, O2 sensor in, new sending units, motor mounts restored and installed, plug wires, coil, hoses, belts, dipstick tube, fuel pump block-off plate, new cap and rotor.

Sadly, the hardest part of this was getting the hoses and J tube (that go between the water pump and the thermostat housing) installed. Not much room in there.

Will probably bag this up and get back to body work as time allows.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Nice looking, hope it runs as good at it looks!!

Comment

• Back to the miserable sanding task. Knocked down the surface with 80 grit, put on a guide coat, and got started sanding it flat.

I am seriously considering black for the main color, which would require a very straight surface. My skills remain in question... not sure I am that good!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Black has to be straight, that's for sure. I thought you previously leaning to a Blue...

Comment

Working...
                                X