• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good call on the wind screen.

93 190
    (safe click)

Comment

• Quick question, do you where I can get the end trim pieces where the top and bottom frames come together. Mine is Taylor brand, I messaged them and never heard back.

Comment

• Originally posted by ONTHECOAST View Post
        Quick question, do you where I can get the end trim pieces where the top and bottom frames come together. Mine is Taylor brand, I messaged them and never heard back.
        Is this the doodad? I have not seen any for sale. Should be straightforward to make a pair, though. Let me know if you need measurements.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Not quite, it would do it if I lifted the bottom frame up to attach it underneath. I'll get a picture of what I have in a little bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by ONTHECOAST View Post
            Quick question, do you where I can get the end trim pieces where the top and bottom frames come together. Mine is Taylor brand, I messaged them and never heard back.
            I just gave two of them away yesterday to a fellow looking for an entire wind screen. I had that also.

Attached Files
            Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-23-2021, 07:52 PM.
            93 190
            (safe click)

Comment

• This is what I am looking for. Probably going to try to contact Taylor Made again
              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                I just gave two of them away yesterday to a fellow looking for an entire wind screen. I had that also.

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, that combination needed to stay together.

Comment

• It’s been a good summer so far, meaning lots of lake time (and an actual vacation which was nice after the 2020 travel restrictions)… but basically no shop time. We were actually home for a day so thought I’d give an update.

Mostly finished the windshield restoration today. It’s amazing how long stuff takes. There’s probably 10 hours in this windshield alone (frame and the plastic), and I’d now rate it “decent, not perfect” but certainly better than the gouged and scratched mess I started with.

There were a couple of deep scratches (at least 1-2 millimeters) that required sanding. That made me nervous, but it came out ok with 600, 800, 1000 and 1500 grits followed by two stages of polish.

A warning to anyone attempting this: don’t use an electric polisher. This plexiglass melts easily and then you get to sand more. I knew this was a risk but got lazy. Normally I believe patience is way overrated, but that mindset rarely applies in restoring stuff.

The Taylor Made emblem is plastic and was stripped out, but a little JB Weld (Chuck’s favorite material… lol) fixed it up.

I still haven’t found the right spline (but I now own a giant roll of something that almost fits!) so if anyone has a source, please share.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Sure looks 100% better. Good job.

93 190
                    (safe click)

Comment

• Those Novus products are amazing. The scratches on my windshield were not nearly that deep. The chickens used it as a sliding board when I had it uncovered. I thought it was a lost cause. I went on Waterlogged's favorite website [Scamazon] and found the Novus 3 stage restorer. I highly recommend their products.

Comment

• Don’t worry… this post has nothing to do with gas money.

What a great summer it was, but school has started so we are home more now and I’m starting to have some time to work on the boat again.

10 hours of sanding so far this week / weekend. All of this was done with the biggest block board that would work in the specific area and 80 grit to knock down the very thick primer coats I applied in the spring.

Between how wavy this peach was out of the mold, the variety of damaged areas I tried to repair, and my questionable body work skills, I am now leaning toward lighter colors hoping they are kinder to the imperfections than darker colors would be.

The bottom, transom, and starboard side are now blocked out (first pass). The body lines are hard to maintain so I got it as flat / straight as possible then ran a tape line and sanded right up to it, which cleaned the line up some.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the keel line straight-ish. Some may recall that this was completely rebuilt since it started out with significant damage from being beached. In some places I added nearly 1/2” of fiberglass. Looks like it’s now going to be good enough.

A few pics…
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Working the other side today and thought I’d give some more detail in case anyone is ever crazy enough to try this themselves.

The primer was misted over with flat black spray for the purpose of providing a sanding guide. Then you sand until all the guide coat is gone, at which point it is much straighter.

The last surface on the side is an example. The first 5-10 minutes of sanding gives a feel for where the problem areas are (2nd and 3rd pics). Then another 10-20 minutes and you are down to just the bad problems (4th and 5th pics). The last two pics are working down the high areas to level with a low spot.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Wow. Keep up the good/hard work and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Amazing thread. WT, you have mad skills!

Out of curiosity, what was the inspiration for this project?

Comment

• Another lap around the boat with 120 grit and then a wash job. Hard to tell looking at it with water to create a reflection, but it seems like it’s as straight as I had hoped.

Remaining body work on the motor box, platform, seat bases, and then hopefully it’s gel coat time. Maybe in a couple of months?

I’m tired. Beer:30.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X