No announcement yet.

1980 S&S Restoration and Modernization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awesome!! I can’t wait to see how the gel cote is done for when I eventually do mine
    1981 MasterCraft
    19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
    Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

• Keeping it simple today. The doghouse is a flimsy guy, and the edges were pretty darn thin, so some quick sanding, an acetone wipe and a thick glass layer should reinforce it. Also backed up the area where the vent goes since I am planning on resizing it and making a new vent frame to match the other vents I previously made. Low precision work… this will all be hidden by paint and insulation.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Looking great, thanks for the updates!

Comment

• Got the doghouse mostly finished today.

Made a vent frame similar to the transom and bow vents previously shown. Basically roughed it out with a saw, drill and router and then hand shaped it. Cut the old hole in the doghouse larger (and squared it up) for the new vent. All vents will be backed by some honeycomb material on final install.

Also finished blocking out the doghouse for the Nth time. This thing was terribly wavy from the mold, a bit better after the texture was sanded off, and then after many hours of priming, sanding, re-priming, and sanding I am tired of trying to perfect it, and am moving on.

Lastly, I am going to spray out some kahuna blue and gunmetal flake stripe to practice and see if I like the colors. Only Spectrum makes these colors and they price like a monopoly, so I bought some patch kits as color samples and hope to have a close match made by another supplier. The slate gray is what I’m thinking I’ll back the gunmetal flake with.

Decisions… Throw rocks at these color ideas. For those following over time, you can probably tell I’m struggling to pick the right colors that balance vintage and modern.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
            ... For those following over time, you can probably tell I’m struggling to pick the right colors that balance vintage and modern.

93 190
            John 14:6
            2 Peter 1:3–8
            Matthew 6:1-4
            Romans 10:9

Comment

• Colors

Here is what the Kahuna blue and gunmetal flake looks like together.

Comment

• Ironhorse - would like to see the pic but it’s not showing up for me. Perhaps others are seeing it? Thanks!

Comment

• Colors

Oops! Photo didnt upload the first time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Jean Claude Van Damme that’s a nice boat.

What does TT think - would kahuna blue (non flake) main color with a gunmetal flake stripe work on a 1980?

Comment

Jean Claude Van Damme that’s a nice boat.

What does TT think - would kahuna blue (non flake) main color with a gunmetal flake stripe work on a 1980?
                      Thanks! You know how I would vote. I think it would look great.

Comment

• Personally think that would look amazing on your boat!
                        13 Super Air Nautique 230
                        03 Super Air Nautique TE 210 - Sold
                        88 Mastercraft TriStar 220 - Sold

Comment

• When doing the body work, I filled and repaired all of the old holes in the hull, so am working to get all the new holes in the hull prior to gel coat application. To get the platform mounted, I first needed to have the exhaust in place to ensure no interference during assembly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1E737DA5-5182-40B6-BDE3-8F2A1589E8E8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2413072

Name:	B5D1CAD8-FF48-4C6D-9C94-A6E168D645D0.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	2413073

Name:	568E163B-BB1C-48CE-A1E8-1F6084FE27CA.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	2413074

Name:	87A2432B-507B-4A58-A5A4-91D21EA8C791.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2413075

Name:	2BC5BE84-D7FE-4A69-BD1F-6F876EF65082.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2413076

Name:	E9BFE0C8-F7F1-4E29-9983-56BF21C62FDE.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	2413077

Name:	37B8F16A-7886-4FFB-B773-8B6F6F3FE452.jpg
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	2413078

Name:	2B2A69CE-37EB-41B5-BB51-06277F35D364.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	2413079

The platform was originally mounted with a combination of bolts and lag screws, but will be through-bolted when reinstalled.

Also got the new, larger stainless bilge pump through-hull re-sized and installed. The original was a very small white plastic unit.

Name:	6FD7F8E6-69F6-4A25-98DF-A41F1FD110FE.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2413080

Comment

• You're getting there.

I did an 81 a few years back and while I had it open in the transom area, I added a boarding grab handle.

US $.02

93 190
                            John 14:6
                            2 Peter 1:3–8
                            Matthew 6:1-4
                            Romans 10:9

Comment

• Just realized I brought this boat home one year ago today. Hoping I only have 6-7 months to go…

Comment

Just realized I brought this boat home one year ago today. Hoping I only have 6-7 months to go…
                                Okay, the torture continues. At least the plan is to get it in the water next summer. Can't wait until you decide on the finish. Hoping to learn something about gelcoat. Paint is too easy.

Comment

Working...
                                X