Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 S&S Restoration and Modernization

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sanded with 220 on block sanders for several hours today and got most of the orange peel off. Hopefully using the blocks with the more coarse grits keeps the surface relatively straight.

    The first couple of pictures are post sanding with the boat wet, which is overly kind to how it actually looks.

    In the last couple of pics, the deck is dry and has tape next to numerous very small imperfections that will need filled with gelcoat and sanded prior to moving on to higher sanding grits and buffing. The final pic shows the type of imperfections… for reference, the tape pieces are thumbnail size or smaller.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	AEA357A4-6C95-44E5-8943-1FCCF16FA1CE.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2695104
    Click image for larger version

Name:	A4874AED-2310-45C7-B563-6E3B470A047F.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2695103
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6C80C9BA-B02F-4E34-B2BB-3DE704EDC445.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2695101
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BC38FF94-BEC8-4816-A89A-226693594B10.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2695102
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
      Sanded with 220 on block sanders for several hours today and got most of the orange peel off. Hopefully using the blocks with the more coarse grits keeps the surface relatively straight.

      The first couple of pictures are post sanding with the boat wet, which is overly kind to how it actually looks.

      In the last couple of pics, the deck is dry and has tape next to numerous very small imperfections that will need filled with gelcoat and sanded prior to moving on to higher sanding grits and buffing. The final pic shows the type of imperfections… for reference, the tape pieces are thumbnail size or smaller.
      What a bee's nest those small marks have become.

      I see a hull in the garage calling your name....

      As I think back, you did not have this issue with the platform...no?

      Great work.

      Send me your address and I'll get an OEM replica dash sticker on the way.

      .
      93 190
      (safe click)

      Comment


      • These imperfections are a PITA indeed. I continue to think they are areas where small pinholes existed in the surface. There are fewer of them on the areas where I am doing gray then flake then clear, probably because there are so many layers of gel compared to the blue.

        I did not have this problem on the gas tank panel, which was built from scratch. I need to get the platform back out and take another look now that I have some more experience.

        Regarding the dash sticker, are you referring to the small wood grain “Mastercraft” or the large wood grain sheet behind the gauges? If the former, yes, that would be great. If the latter, I am planning to go without that. Either way, thanks for the offer!

        Comment


        • that color looks awesome

          Comment


          • Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
            These imperfections are a PITA indeed. I continue to think they are areas where small pinholes existed in the surface. There are fewer of them on the areas where I am doing gray then flake then clear, probably because there are so many layers of gel compared to the blue.

            I did not have this problem on the gas tank panel, which was built from scratch. I need to get the platform back out and take another look now that I have some more experience.

            Regarding the dash sticker, are you referring to the small wood grain “Mastercraft” or the large wood grain sheet behind the gauges? If the former, yes, that would be great. If the latter, I am planning to go without that. Either way, thanks for the offer!
            .....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash decal stickers02.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	2695123
            93 190
            (safe click)

            Comment


            • Gel coat is a giant pain. Yesterday I sanded with successively finer grits and got to the first pass of polish to find that I still had fine scratches from blocking. So I sanded it back down with 400 on a DA and then started back over with wet sanding this morning. This went 600-800-1000-1500-2000. Made it to the first pass of polish before it got dark.

              Given all the repeated sanding, I have a few thin spots that will need redone. But it generally looks okay. Note that the pictures make it look better than it really is.

              I’ll fix the thin spots then get this to final polish and move on.

              In case anyone is wondering, I’m now tired of this project. Lots left to do though.



              Click image for larger version  Name:	580B9469-D97F-488A-B8F1-BCDA314E5334.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.91 MB ID:	2695432
              Click image for larger version  Name:	E41CAA13-5183-4C26-A723-05BCF5B9B776.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	2695425
              Click image for larger version  Name:	9F4809FD-D62D-4857-98ED-C266D6BED08E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	2695424
              Click image for larger version  Name:	38BB65E4-7FCD-40DA-913E-80E050B5CDED.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.84 MB ID:	2695423
              Click image for larger version  Name:	21ADC597-836F-4556-879C-0375F4E9C33E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	2695427
              Click image for larger version  Name:	492404DB-BF7E-41C3-996F-F989FEB5BD78.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	2695426
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • Milestones make a project. Its looking great. Get through this stage and you'll fire back up when you get to move on... and put sanding in your rear view.

                The boats going to look amazing! Love this thread.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                  Milestones make a project. Its looking great. Get through this stage and you'll fire back up when you get to move on... and put sanding in your rear view.

                  The boats going to look amazing! Love this thread.
                  My thoughts exactly. I hate sanding and you're obviously into the most labor intensive part of the build. It looks amazing! Great work.

                  Comment


                  • I wish I had those skills...Super impressive project!
                    Hello, my name Ryan!

                    Comment


                    • Well, this was hard to do. By backlighting and close inspection, I found the thin spots and am starting to prep for repair. Hope this works.

                      Key lesson: double up gel on all the edges, and don’t cob up the sanding so bad you have to do it twice.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	72347275-5466-466E-8514-FD0A66302E70.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	2695474
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	FDB19DAC-3967-4E5C-9EAE-7D80F02F6645.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	2695472
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	959FB7D5-781F-48AF-9A4A-B5CE289EEF91.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	2695473

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
                        Well, this was hard to do. By backlighting and close inspection, I found the thin spots and am starting to prep for repair. Hope this works.

                        Key lesson: double up gel on all the edges, and don’t cob up the sanding so bad you have to do it twice.
                        Doesn't surprise me. I have seen thin places from time to time. The sides of the hull rarely have this issue because the sides are stuffed with Balsa wood.

                        Here is a keel area looking from the inside outward toward light. I put in two layers of cloth on this before I covered it back with flooring.

                        .

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel see-thru.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2695538
                        93 190
                        (safe click)

                        Comment


                        • Thin areas were sanded, taped and back taped (rolled tape to soften the edge from a hard tape line for easier blending). Sprayed it last night and tonight I unmasked it and did the first sanding to let it continue to off-gas and cure. Supposedly if you polish it too soon, not all the gases from curing have been released, so it needs to sit another 24 hours before fine grits and polish.

                          I am looking forward to moving on to the hull (hopefully soon) and redoing the doghouse now that I’ve improved my skills a bit.

                          Click image for larger version  Name:	E3AEAD5E-BBC1-4DE4-9088-772B1E473199.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.38 MB ID:	2695600
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	9B1CCEC9-6F08-4850-A7E1-8FC02EF84FC4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	2695597
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	1B0B2734-1BC6-47D9-BABB-EA0219A839B5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	2695599
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	696C3D96-83C4-43C6-95D9-ABBAC1EE2340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	2695601
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	F81425EF-6CBF-4826-B982-FACD64A1E307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	2695596
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • Hope everyone had a great Christmas. It’s been a crazy month of work travel, a ski trip, holidays and covid (cold-like; no big deal… luckily).

                            The deck is mostly done; just have a bit of follow up polishing to do.

                            Got the gray base color for the stripe on the hull yesterday and got it sanded tonight. Hope to get some flake and clear on this at the end of the week.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	1905F1E4-0310-4970-A3FD-B93800CD2E20.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	2696445

                            Click image for larger version  Name:	B5241A5D-1A11-4780-A2CC-F734F7B151C3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	2696443
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	7A014ADB-0847-42E8-A6BB-290FDB6C6E0E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	2696442
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	33798502-A10C-41E1-AC73-A297EC5BFB3E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.42 MB ID:	2696441
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • Glad you're feeling better, and boat Looks amazing!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
                                Hope everyone had a great Christmas. It’s been a crazy month of work travel, a ski trip, holidays and covid (cold-like; no big deal… luckily).

                                The deck is mostly done; just have a bit of follow up polishing to do.

                                Got the gray base color for the stripe on the hull yesterday and got it sanded tonight. Hope to get some flake and clear on this at the end of the week.
                                Looks better all the time.

                                .

                                93 190
                                (safe click)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X