No announcement yet.

1980 S&S Restoration and Modernization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking better and better every time you post a pic! I love how that rub rail ties in with the black mica - makes everything look so crisp! Beautiful...
    Jerry

2020 X22
    2018 XT22
    2014 Aqua Patio
    2003 Malibu Response LXi
    2001 Malibu Sunsetter
    1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• The insert is in the rub rail now. I am slightly dissatisfied with this product (Taco Suproflex). It is pretty easy to install but a challenge to get straight enough for my liking - it’s a bit wavy despite an hour of tweaking. As I was lamenting this waviness, I glanced out at my GMC and noticed that it’s about as straight as any plastic trim pieces on the truck, but still.

The alternative was a more rigid rub rail that comes in 20’ sticks, and would require truck freight, the current shipping charge for which is $700. Thus the selection of a product that comes in a roll.

On to the windshield. I was able to source a new bulb gasket for the base, but have not yet found the spline gasket that tucks between the frame and the windshield.

Preparation for windshield installation involves inserting the bulb base gasket and cutting it to allow 16 fasteners to go through it. I am using tape to enable easier marking, then will remove, cut the gasket, and reinstall with the bolts for final placement.

But it is starting to look like a boat with the windshield just sitting there…

Click image for larger version

Name:	B13A5FCF-0700-425E-A173-CAF6168237A3.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2709357

Name:	E7C241E1-5919-49C2-9F34-C907D9FF7C05.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	2709356

Comment

• Read this whole thread just now. Fantastic documentation of an incredible restoration. Thank you.
        1996 ProStar 205 LT1

Comment

• I think that windshield is begging for tint and some
          upgraded wheels on trailer to tie in the new gel color

Comment

• WT are you going to use the old T bolts for the windshield or were you able to find new ones? I had to cut mine to remove the windshield and need some new ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ugotta1it View Post
              WT are you going to use the old T bolts for the windshield or were you able to find new ones? I had to cut mine to remove the windshield and need some new ones.
              I was able to reuse them. If you are searching for new ones, some places call them “t-slot” bolts, or perhaps you could find “elevator bolts” and modify them to fit by grinding.

I am not at the boat right now but believe they are 10-32 fine thread by 2” or 2.5” long.

Have you replaced the windshield glazing spline and, if so, do you have a source? Thanks.

Comment

• They are 10/32 fine thread. No havent found a source for glazing spline. I have been loking at 10/32 stainless coupler nuts to extend the length of the bolts.

Comment

• Messing around with gauge placement. Just sitting there for now… any issues you see with placement? The perfect pass will be behind the steering wheel but I like the symmetry of the two Faria gauges on top.

Name:	60B97AEE-1247-4EF3-9815-8807F499DA95.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2712770

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
                    Messing around with gauge placement. Just sitting there for now… any issues you see with placement? The perfect pass will be behind the steering wheel but I like the symmetry of the two Faria gauges on top.
                    I like it.

I like the digital tachometer (and clock) in the PerfectPass unit.

Where are the switches for the heated seats?

93 190
                    (safe click)
                    John 14:6
                    (safe click)

Comment

• Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                      Where are the switches for the heated seats?

TBD but that is in the plan. I haven’t figured out any of the switches yet. Hoping to modernize a bit, but space is a constraint.

I was, however, able to install an important accessory tonight.

Name:	C0345741-B8A6-44AF-9AD1-8A897BE14CDA.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2712780

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post

TBD but that is in the plan. I haven’t figured out any of the switches yet. Hoping to modernize a bit, but space is a constraint.

I was, however, able to install an important accessory tonight.
                        A retro fit I did on an 81.

Name:	Dash switch hole03.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	2712782

93 190
                        (safe click)
                        John 14:6
                        (safe click)

Comment

• Have you test fired the engine yet? Continued incredible work!
                          1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• Originally posted by bret View Post
                            Have you test fired the engine yet? Continued incredible work!
                            Nope. There’s not a scrap of wire in it yet. But I am getting good at sitting in it and making vroom vroom noises.

Comment

• Well, it was hard to pull the X-30 on a very nice morning yesterday, then detail and winterize it, but the next two months have crazy busy weekends so our summer is over.

Hopefully this means progress picks up on the 1980 soon!

Name:	53A24EBB-5A11-4E76-B380-8363F8B0FB17.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	3.87 MB
ID:	2714739

Name:	8DD7AD73-2D2E-4E9B-B7BC-62A6E78C9519.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	2714740

Name:	AD237674-C727-4ADC-92E1-4B79814FB954.jpg