No announcement yet.

1980 S&S Restoration and Modernization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The deck had a heavy texture from the mold. The pattern looks like vinyl.

It had to come off the change the color. No way to gel coat on top of this and maintain the pattern.

Basically 15 hours of sanding to get it off. There are several places you can still see the pattern, but you can’t feel it. In many places, it took off all the gelcoat.

Also got the platform ready for its first coating.
    Attached Files

Comment

The pattern is indeed vinyl.

When I bought a 79 (in 79) it had the deluxe interior package and the textured deck. I got to looking one day and sure enough, both matched. I later talked to a fellow that was there back in the day. He confirmed that is how they made the textured deck.

I never really cared for it (even to this day) but that is how it was (and remains). They did not consult me first.

93 190
      (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
        I’ve received a few questions about the prop guard design and dimensions, so am posting here in case it helps others as well.

It’s about 16.75 inches from the top of the trailer channel to the top of the prop guard. It’s a bit shy of 26” wide on the lower horizontal part.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for sharing. Very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s your sanding method of choice for the heavy material removal (texture)? Wet / Dry / Electric / Air / vacuum hookup?

Comment

Originally posted by mwagner01 View Post
            What’s your sanding method of choice for the heavy material removal (texture)? Wet / Dry / Electric / Air / vacuum hookup?
            Most of it was done with a straight line air sander, which has roughly 2.75” x 16” of paper. 40 grit followed by 80 grit. Used a DA some as well.

No vacuum hookup. Would be a nice addition...

Comment

I looked at my boat today and it was hard to tell if the lip was symmetrical or not with the boat on the trailer with stuff all around it.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help :/

Comment

Originally posted by Moclakens View Post
                I looked at my boat today and it was hard to tell if the lip was symmetrical or not with the boat on the trailer with stuff all around it.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help :/
                Thanks for checking.

Comment

Tell me which Perfect Pass I should buy

I am ready to get the dash laid out and want to have a speed control system.

We are recreational skiers. We have access to a course a few miles from our cabin but likely won’t make the trip too often. It never seemed worth it to take the X30 (propped for ballast = slow) but perhaps that changes with the ski boat, which would shorten the trip.

Looking at Perfect Pass, it appears the StarGazer wake edition S would be suitable. Should I get the Three Event, and what are the pros / benefits? What is the benefit of the timing features and do I need those?

Thanks for any advice!

Comment

Have you looked at the SteadyPass system? just curious what your thoughts are on that system vs. PP.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
                      I am ready to get the dash laid out and want to have a speed control system.

We are recreational skiers. We have access to a course a few miles from our cabin but likely won’t make the trip too often. It never seemed worth it to take the X30 (propped for ballast = slow) but perhaps that changes with the ski boat, which would shorten the trip.

Looking at Perfect Pass, it appears the StarGazer wake edition S would be suitable. Should I get the Three Event, and what are the pros / benefits? What is the benefit of the timing features and do I need those?

Thanks for any advice!
                      I like the 3-event because that is my skiing platform. However the slalom mode (my version) does not program over 36.2 MPH. So when I barefoot, I go to the wake/trick mode and program 42 MPH there. Works for me.

I think the Gazer Wake S will work for you as well. Just sharing one perspective of the different models.

I don't use the timing feature since I no longer practice a tournament pass.

I got the PP GPS in 2014 at US$1,250 from Skier-to-Skier. I Like PP for their customer service and their longevity and continued development and upgrades of the product.

93 190
                      (safe click)

Comment

• Originally posted by EricB View Post
                        Have you looked at the SteadyPass system? just curious what your thoughts are on that system vs. PP.
                        I haven’t read anything about SteadyPass other than the little bit I’ve seen on here. Anyone have any real world experience or reviews?

Comment

• Have been accumulating some parts. Dug through them yesterday to take inventory and see what I still lacked.

I now have what I need to do the fuel injection and O2 sensor, new exhaust manifolds (old ones had some small cracks) and some engine and drivetrain parts.

Still need lots of small parts, gauges and perfect pass, along with a starter and a higher-amp alternator.

I was thinking Arco for the starter but am open to better suggestions on both the starter and alternator.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Arco 70200 here.

Alternator here. Unfortunately this appears to be unavailable on that site. But it is the unit that will work.

Done deal.

Please make sure these parts fit your application. Styles and part numbers can change. I have used these particular parts on the PCM 351W engine multiple times, but double check before you buy. Stay away from Scamazon. They often push out grey market items.

Use anti-seize with your new flange coupler upon assembly to the shaft.

What gauges are you looking for? OEMs, aftermarket replacements???

Attached Files
                            Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-18-2021, 10:08 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)

Comment

• Thanks for the guidance. That was the starter I was looking at, so good to have confirmation. I’ll double check the alternator fit.

Regarding gauges, I was planning to switch to white gauges, something like the Faria Chesapeake line, because I think they would look a bit more modern and match decently with one of the Perfect Pass display options. Also want to add a depth gauge that matches, and will convert from an ammeter to a voltmeter.

Agree on the anti-seize (everywhere)! I soaked the old coupler in PB Blaster (and everything else I could think of) over a couple of days and in the end had to cut it off the shaft.

Comment

• anti seize is great you can also use some gasket maker in any threads to protect that even more. When you are done put some in and it pulls out with a pick next time you work on it
                                1981 MasterCraft
                                19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                                Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

Working...
                                X