X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88 PS190
    MC Addict
    • Aug 2005

Only issue I have would be those stern ones goes back to what barneyferd said - I'd be worried that a fender mounted there could be pushed off the back corner of the hull and let your boat bang into the dock.

Unless you're going to add some pop ups for bumpers?

Comment

• barneyferd
      TT Enthusiast
      • Aug 2019

Great catch - I didn't think about that concern with the proposed rear position, but I completely agree. I'd move those more forward along the gunwhale, maybe another 12-18".
      Jerry

2020 X22
      2018 XT22
      2014 Aqua Patio
      2003 Malibu Response LXi
      2001 Malibu Sunsetter
      1978 Ski Supreme

Comment

• EricB
        MC Fanatic
        • Jul 2004

Those rear cleats will catch ski ropes. That can be corrected by pop-up cleats.

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
          TT Regular
          • Apr 2015

Thanks everyone. Good thoughts and exactly what I was looking for.

And yes, they are pop-ups to avoid catching the ski rope. In the pics they are just sitting there (not installed yet) but will be mounted flush.

Comment

• 88 PS190
            MC Addict
            • Aug 2005

If you like where the cleats sit maybe look into pop up fender hangers - they have a much smaller footprint so they might be easier to install a foot or two further forwards. Nothing says you have to cleat and fender off the same point.

But from experience with ski boats it is fenders that are the problem.

Or - where we tie up usually the docks are too high and meant for taller boats so I will usually bring some of those twist in dock cleats to add a hanger to the dock and hang my fender to that.

Just depends on where you actually boat. For many of our docks the window would hit before a fender so its more about adding spring lines and anchors off the outside to hold it away.

Comment

• waterlogged882
              MC Master Poster
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by 88 PS190 View Post
              If you like where the cleats sit maybe look into pop up fender hangers - they have a much smaller footprint so they might be easier to install a foot or two further forwards. Nothing says you have to cleat and fender off the same point.

But from experience with ski boats it is fenders that are the problem.

^ ^ This....I would also suggest moving the rear cleats farther forward to the point of where the aforementioned fender hangers would be positioned.

There are no good fenders as far as I am concerned. I rarely moor at a dock and often moor beside another similar boat but fenders are still not satisfactory to me.

I bought some balls to use instead of traditional fenders. Those are better for mooring boat to boat but a pain to store in the boat when not in use. Forgedaboutit....I am back to skiing and floating. Mooring is not in my plan...no more fenders or balls.

However the pop-ups are nice to have and to look at.

Fender hangers

Attached Files
              Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-19-2021, 11:26 AM.
              93 190
              (safe click)
              John 14:6
              (safe click)

Comment

• 88 PS190
                MC Addict
                • Aug 2005

Ya for "fenders" we sand bar a lot - I have a few pvc pipes about 6' long with dock sand augers they can be tucked in behind the drivers seat or up in the bow from the drivers feet.

Get to the sand bar - drive them down into the sand, then you put two boats up against and tie the two boats together. Anchors bow and stern and the boats just rise up and down on the PVC gently.

Comment

• Miss Rita
                  MC Devotee
                  • Jul 2009

If you like where the cleats sit maybe look into pop up fender hangers - they have a much smaller footprint
                  I installed four pop-up fender cleats last year, to be used for hanging fenders and docking. They are about half the size of mooring pop-ups you have pictured. Any docking I would do wouldn't be longer than a few hours, I don't need full size, heavy duty cleats. The forward cleats are installed at the forward edge of the windshield, the stern cleats are 15" from the transom. I had zero problems with them catching the ski rope. Even better, the price. I bought four Attwood cleats for $80.
                  Last edited by Miss Rita; 02-20-2021, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Fullpass
                    MC Devotee
                    • Dec 2013

How did I miss this thread…Nice restoration so far…good read this morning...

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
                      TT Regular
                      • Apr 2015

A somewhat eventful day in the life of the 1980.

Got the motor back from the builder. Aluminum heads, roller cam / lifters / rockers. Bored .030, balanced, etc. He put some primer on it to keep it from rusting, but will be cleaned up eventually and painted purdy.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by WhiskeyTango; 02-21-2021, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
                        TT Regular
                        • Apr 2015

Followed by, cleaning, washing, converting the shop into a ghetto “paint booth”, and doing a very sketchy vinyl ester primer job on the deck and motor box. This primer has a high quantity of filler and continued to clog the gun, but eventually we got it applied (the Admiral was mixing while I sprayed). Now it’s curing. We’ll see tomorrow how bad it looks.

Keep reminding myself that all this “learning” will come in handy on the next job...
                        Attached Files

Comment

• waterlogged882
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Dec 2004

93 190
                          (safe click)
                          John 14:6
                          (safe click)

Comment

• lakedrum03
                            MC Devotee
                            • Jul 2017

Looks awesome! Primer is easier to sand than paint so pile it on!

Comment

• franquellim
                              TT Newbie
                              • Aug 2015

Great thread, really appreciate it

I'm just chiming in to say thank you for this write up. I don't have the skills or space to take something like this on yet, but I hope I can add something like this in the future. Best of luck to you!

Comment

• Fullpass
                                MC Devotee
                                • Dec 2013

Watching with interest, so will the primer remain tacky until the gel coat is spayed on…then everything cures after the gel coat is spayed and a PVA used or waxed to seal the air out…cause I'm new to the process too...
                                Last edited by Fullpass; 02-21-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X