X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waterlogged882
    MC Master Poster
    • Dec 2004

Black is a lot of work after the finished product. I have black... it shows everything, but your call on the base color.

I feel like I use as much cutting compound as I do wax when it is time to shine, to keep the gel presentable.

Your project looks good so far.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 04-24-2021, 08:52 PM.
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
      TT Regular
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by bret View Post
      Black has to be straight, that's for sure. I thought you previously leaning to a Blue...
      Correct, I am still thinking blue would be great. However, my 2015 is black and Mrs. WT has been in my ear about “why would we ever own a boat that isn’t black?” Perhaps black with a silver flake stripe? Decisions...

The X-30 a few years ago...
      Attached Files

Comment

• waterlogged882
        MC Master Poster
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
        Correct, I am still thinking blue would be great. However, my 2015 is black and Mrs. WT has been in my ear about “why would we ever own a boat that isn’t black?” Perhaps black with a silver flake stripe? Decisions...

The X-30 a few years ago...
        I like it.

Wife does have a point.
        93 190
        (safe click)
        (safe click)

Comment

• bret
          MC Devotee
          • Aug 2004

Happy Wife, Happy Life.
          1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
            TT Regular
            • Apr 2015

I’ve been thinking it would be nice to have an alternative to the stock bow and transom vents, which are functional but look pretty dated. Also, I plan to change the rub rail, so the transom vent would need modified regardless.

So I goofed around a couple of evenings this week with some fiberglass strips I bought to see if I could come up with something.

Opinions wanted re: the first iteration (still in roughed-in shape, but you’ll get the idea), especially regarding the front vent, which is a bit funky. I have more raw material so will probably try a few other ideas as time allows.

(Whatever the final product is, they will be white, black, or color matched to the gel. Red is just the color of the strips as I bought them.)
            Attached Files

Comment

• bret
              MC Devotee
              • Aug 2004

I like it
              1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• 1redTA
                MC Devotee
                • Aug 2009

make the front vent open and close with the throttle
                1981 MasterCraft
                19' Skier 351W PowerSlot
                Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another

Comment

• MIskiboat
                  MC Devotee
                  • Jul 2004

I like the rear. Don’t like the front middle thing. What if you use the front outline piece and use a open honeycomb cross section looking plastic. Black. Kinda like some car front ends below the bumper. But open of course.
                  Just my opinion since you asked. Work all looks awesome.

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
                    TT Regular
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                    I like the rear. Don’t like the front middle thing. What if you use the front outline piece and use a open honeycomb cross section looking plastic. Black. Kinda like some car front ends below the bumper. But open of course.
                    Just my opinion since you asked. Work all looks awesome.
                    Appreciate the opinion. I was thinking something similar - a perforated metal sheet (round or hex hole) behind each the front and rear frame pieces. Simple and more modern than the clunky plastic OEM pieces.

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
                      TT Regular
                      • Apr 2015

A bit of progress on the deck. Modified the dash for gauges (still waiting on one more gauge), cut in a flag pole holder, made a new front vent frame, finished shaping the rear vent frame, and put in the cleats. Ended up placing the rear cleats way forward to find a flat spot and get past the area where a bumper could slip past the back of the boat when tied up to a dock.

Still have to cut in a cup holder on the dash but otherwise the deck is ready for gel.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Ugotta1it
                        TT Regular
                        • Apr 2021

Why did you choose to split the bow storage with a divider. I spoke to Ron Tanis and he said the front deck board that looks like a foot rest under the dash is not structural. Im planning on doing this and just wondering.

Comment

• waterlogged882
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Ugotta1it View Post
                          Why did you choose to split the bow storage with a divider. ...... Im planning on doing this and just wondering.
                          For me;

I split the 81 model with a kick panel for several cumulative reasons.

Dug out all of the foam and added under deck floor space (which was never there from OEM). That is nasty under there with foam (thanks Ben).

Put in the kick panel for storage (defined) compartment on the port side, leaving the starboard side for cable routing and sub-woofer speaker.

The kick panel also allows for mounting any accessories; courtesy light, anchor light, dual battery setup, amplifier, stereo accessories, ACR, battery switch, and golf tee (I do not play golf).

A little more time and effort but worth it. I also cut out the dash and re-designed the passenger seat back into two separate pieces so the dash piece would raise up for under deck access.

Attached Files
                          93 190
                          (safe click)
                          (safe click)

Comment

• WhiskeyTango
                            TT Regular
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Ugotta1it View Post
                            Why did you choose to split the bow storage with a divider. I spoke to Ron Tanis and he said the front deck board that looks like a foot rest under the dash is not structural. Im planning on doing this and just wondering.
                            My logic is the same as Waterlogged’s. In fact I stole the basic idea from his past work.

It’s all about creating storage space, and surfaces to mount electronics and electrical equipment, neither of which were present from the factory.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• waterlogged882
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
                              My logic is the same as Waterlogged’s. In fact I stole the basic idea from his past work.

It’s all about creating storage space, and surfaces to mount electronics and electrical equipment, neither of which were present from the factory.

Hope this helps.
                              By far you have done one heck of a job on your project. I am impressed and have learned a lot as well from your work.

One of the most extensive projects I have seen here.

Thank you for sharing. That said, what a lot of folks do not realize is the amount of time spent on research, procurement, photography, and documentary.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 05-05-2021, 11:26 PM.
                              93 190
                              (safe click)
                              (safe click)

Comment

• ONTHECOAST
                                TT Enthusiast
                                • Mar 2021

I have a question about removing the foam under the deck forward of the footrest. Is the foam necessary or required by any boating industry guidelines? Sounds like a good way to create storage which is pretty much non existent on these older boats.

Comment

Working...
                                X