1993 Stars & Stripes Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Stars & Stripes Restoration

Figured I would start a thread for the 93. Ha, to set expectations it's going to be a long-term project as I have way too many projects at the moment.

LT1, 1:1 red flake with 844hrs on the clock. It's been used quite a bit and stored outside in the weather. But, it has almost zero nicks and and appears to be in good mechanical condition.

The boat spent most its life on a private ski lake in Texas then south of Houston the past couple of years. It has been in brackish water, but only a couple of times and it was flushed. Being stored close to the bay, the air has corroded many metal parts.

The previous owner had already removed the interior and the carpet on the floor - or what he could without splitting the deck. My plan is to eventually restore the boat to it's original condition, but it will take a few years.

I had a 95 prostar 205 with the LT1, so familiar with the powertrain. But, I did not realize there were so many differences between the early LT1s.

Here are some pics.
    Attached Files
    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

The only designated Stars & Stripes boat (option)...the 93 model.

Sorry 19Skiers... you got cheated.

Nice looking machine Mr. Diesel.

93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

I already removed the tower and I have pulled most of the interior. I think my plan it make sure all the mechanical issues are fixed this summer and spend some time with it on the lake. Then tear into it next winter to do the carpet and full interior. If I can get it on the water this summer with the current interior and temporary flooring, that will ensure I can get the driveline in perfect shape. So far here is what is on the short list:

Remove tower
      Rebuild or replace raw water pump, it is leaking out the back side.
      New hoses where necessary
      Remove manifolds and risers - replace or refinish as needed
      New engine circulation pump
      Refinish corroded parts and clean up engine
      Replace steering cable
      New acme 541
      Dual battery install
      Build a new back/gas tank cover
      Clean and reinstall interior
      New carpet on the trailer bunks
      15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        The only designated Stars & Stripes boat (option)...the 93 model.

Sorry 19Skiers... you got cheated.

Nice looking machine Mr. Diesel.

Glad you made it and I am probably going to pepper you with questions. I've already learned a lot from reading your threads.
        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
          Glad you made it and I am probably going to pepper you with questions. I've already learned a lot from reading your threads.
          Feel free. I'll share what little I know and mostly lessons I have learned the hard way.

Best on the restoration.

93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

Comment

I was waiting for you to start a resto thread! Excited to watch the progress.

Comment

Your alternator on the upper left side of the engine, rather than on the lower right?

I saw the engine pic on FB marketplace but honestly, a trip to Fastenal, a can of high gloss black engine paint, some new hoses, clamps, and she will be looking pristine again. Waterskiers.com has new recirculating pumps for the LT1 for $224. They also have LONG and SHORT plug wires for the LT1. Keep posting, you're also missing stars where they put the registration.

1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

The starter on the backside of the engine surprised me. Especially since you can see the flex plate where the starter was on my 95. The big fuel/water separator on the port side of the bilge was not on my 95 either. And the elongated, pointy air cleaner.

Alternator is lower left and this does not look like a marine version. I will add that to the list.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Diesel; 03-21-2021, 12:05 AM.
                15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Was it normal for only 2 bolts (top) on these motor mounts? It also looks like there was something between the stringer and the motor mount that may have deteriorated. Unless that is part of the motor mount flaking off. Add these to the list.
                  Attached Files
                  15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

is there a J Upton on TT? It looks like was your boat or at least your prop at one time.
                    Attached Files
                    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

The floor on the port size has a nice ridge in it. Probably hard to see in this pic. Any thoughts of what is going on there? I remember my floor in my 95 was never level, but this one has a fairly pronounced hump. Starboard side is a little wavy, but flat.
                      Attached Files
                      15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by bret View Post
                        Your alternator on the upper left side of the engine, rather than on the lower right?

I saw the engine pic on FB marketplace but honestly, a trip to Fastenal, a can of high gloss black engine paint, some new hoses, clamps, and she will be looking pristine again. Waterskiers.com has new recirculating pumps for the LT1 for $224. They also have LONG and SHORT plug wires for the LT1. Keep posting, you're also missing stars where they put the registration.
                        Yep that is the plan. A little clean up will go a long way. I already have a cart going on waterskis.com. The seem to have the most stuff and good prices.

That blue 93 is my inspiration.
                        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

I get this boat is 27 years old, but here is how my 95 looked after 10 years and close to 1K hours.

Also, noticed it has a different transmission. Velvetdrive in the 93 and Hurth in the 95.
                          Attached Files
                          15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

I'm with you...

1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                              Was it normal for only 2 bolts (top) on these motor mounts? It also looks like there was something between the stringer and the motor mount that may have deteriorated. Unless that is part of the motor mount flaking off. Add these to the list.
                              Looks like the bottom flange that goes under the rubber grommet is about gone. Nice project. Not too bad. Once you remove magnifolds and risers.. water jacket may need a good soak with metal rescue or evaporust.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                              sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

Working...
                              X