No announcement yet.

1993 Stars & Stripes Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a few winter projects. I decided to redo the interior this year so here are a few progress pictures.

For now the plan is to go white with charcoal piping on the skins and likely gray decadence for the floor. I figure the white and grey color theme on the interior will give me the most flexibility if the red gelcoat does not polish out. If it needs new gel coat, I may switch to Jet Stream blue on the exterior. Hoping to hold off until next winter on the gel coat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Diesel; 11-27-2022, 11:05 PM.
    05 ProStar 209, Navy Flake, Slate Gray, MCX 1:1 Sold
    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

I've never seen so many staples in my life. It looks like they used galvanized staples in some places as they were mostly rusted out. Anyone know a Danny from the MC factory? Looks like he signed the inside of one of the skins.

Attached Files
      15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Back seat looks really bad, but the Styrofoam base is in almost perfect condition. All the plywood that was bonded to the Styrofoam rotted out, but it's completely rebuildable. If I can find a good glue that will adhere HDPE to Styrofoam, I will use HDPE to rebuild the back seat.
        Attached Files
        15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Removes staples about as fast as anything I have been able to find. Common office supply product. I suspect this is now, too little, too late.

A pneumatic stapler is the only way to make hay going back together.

How about a few photos of that Chevrolet pick-up?

That's all I got.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Staple Remover01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.0 KB ID:	2716729
          93 190
          (safe click)
          John 14:6
          (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
            Removes staples about as fast as anything I have been able to find. Common office supply product. I suspect this is now, too little, too late.

A pneumatic stapler is the only way to make hay going back together.

How about a few photos of that Chevrolet pick-up?

That's all I got.

Click image for larger version Name:	Staple Remover01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	10.0 KB ID:	2716729
            Ha, yeah I wish I had it this weekend. About half of them were so rusted they broke off in the plastic. I am going to have to sand down what is left when the new skins go back on. Yep, I have a pneumatic upholstery stapler with stainless staples for installation. It looks like most of my cushion foam is still in good shape and I plan on reusing it.

That's one of my many other projects. 72 K5 that I swapped a 6.2L L86 with 6 speed automatic. One of these days I will tear it back apart to finish the body.
            Attached Files
            15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

And a pic of tracing the new side panels.
              Attached Files
              15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Good on the side panels. You got all of it on an 8' piece.

I just did an 84 last month and had to scab an extra 9" (beyond the 8' board cut) for the entire length of the port side gunnel panel.

Heck of an engine in the K-5. Good looking truck.

93 190
                (safe click)
                John 14:6
                (safe click)

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                  Time for a few winter projects. I decided to redo the interior this year so here are a few progress pictures.

For now the plan is to go white with charcoal piping on the skins and likely gray decadence for the floor. I figure the white and grey color theme on the interior will give me the most flexibility if the red gelcoat does not polish out. If it needs new gel coat, I may switch to Jet Stream blue on the exterior. Hoping to hold off until next winter on the gel coat.
                  I would do my best to stick with factory colors if you can, it is a Red/White Stars and Stripes - unless you just want a slalom tug. Just my .02 but good luck with whatever you decide.

1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

Originally posted by bret View Post

I would do my best to stick with factory colors if you can, it is a Red/White Stars and Stripes - unless you just want a slalom tug. Just my .02 but good luck with whatever you decide.
                    Ha, you don't know how many times I have flip flopped in my head - and probably will continue to. At this point, I am thinking restomod - keeping mostly with the classic 93 S&S look, but improving what needs to be improved.

The exterior will stay true to the 93 S&S scheme/decals and will either stay red flake or switch to blue flake. Both are beautiful, but if I have to have the gelcoat redone, I may switch to the blue. Blue just lands different with me.

I plan on staying with all white vinyl to match the original interior. I don't really want to go back to carpet on the floors so that limits the options. Blue or Red Decadence/Seadeck just does not look good to me. Staying with the all white vinyl but going to grey flooring seemed like the best option. In reality, it's just such a small surface area in the boat, I am probably overthinking it. Looking at a newer prostar gives me reassurance, but I may change my mind again.

This boat will get plenty of use so I want it to be beautiful, reliable, and functional.
                    15 X23 7.4 FOR SALE

Comment

Glad you are doing this project. Great to see the boats get the attention they need. I just did my rear seat also. My upholstery stil fair but all the wood was rotten. I used popular hard wood from lowes and gorilla glue. Had to trim wood to fit then painted before gluing. Worked well,will see how it holds up. Click image for larger version

Name:	E7459D58-6CB2-4113-B269-926553C2512C.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	7.09 MB
ID:	2717530 Click image for larger version

Name:	38602C0C-0581-4D26-8673-33B7561617FE.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	7.26 MB
ID:	2717531
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X