2000 Prostar 205V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Prostar 205V

My wife and I bought this diamond in the rough back in November after looking for one for almost 2 years. We almost bought one at Rambo in 2019 but for some reason didn't pull the trigger. This boat was in Connecticut, so I had to get it shipped to Georgia. It also had some gelcoat oxidation but had 'only' 650 hours and the interior was in good shape so we pulled the trigger. Back in November I started thinking 'I hope I didn't just get myself in trouble'
    Here are some pictures, I didn't take too many, should have done more:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat Side View on Street.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	2474434
    At my house

Name:	Boat Rear View at Marina.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	2474436
    At the marina in Connecticut

Name:	Boat Rear View.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2474437
    The stern was pretty oxidized

Name:	Boat Air Intake.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2474435
    Everyone's impossible to find $15 part

I was on here back in November looking for replacement decals but no deal so I ended up with new Domed Numbers decals. As you can see they were pretty beat up:

Name:	Boat Hull Starboard.jpeg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2474438

So we knew pretty early on we were doing a decal removal and replacement. We bought a heat gun, some plastic razor blades, and proceeded to remove the old decals:

Name:	Boat Rear WO Decals.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2474439

Name:	Boat Football Shsdow.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	2474440

Name:	Boat Port WO Decals.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	2474441

Quite a bit of shadowing under the decals. We knew then that we'd have to do some serious wet sanding to get this baby back into shape.

So to make a long story short, we wet sanded 800 grit, then 1500 grit, then 3M Heavy Cutting Compound, then 3M Glazing Compound and applying the Domed Numbers decals, it ended up like this:

Name:	Boat After Front Port.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	2410005

Name:	Boat After Rear Starboardt.jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	2410007

Name:	Boat Air Intake After.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2410006

Still needs some work on the trailer but the lake is right across the street and I don't think I'll be embarrassing myself with the condition of the gelcoat this year.

Comment

Looks great. I just did the same to my 2000 Sport Star. My trailer is in bad shape too. Probably worse than yours.
      2000 MC SportStar
      2017 SQ5
      2009 KTM 530 Exc
      2012 BMW K1300r

Comment

Originally posted by dpb185 View Post
        So to make a long story short, we wet sanded 800 grit, then 1500 grit, then 3M Heavy Cutting Compound, then 3M Glazing Compound and applying the Domed Numbers decals, it ended up like this:

Still needs some work on the trailer but the lake is right across the street and I don't think I'll be embarrassing myself with the condition of the gelcoat this year.
        Looks good. You cut to clean gel (I hope), smoothed it out, and made it shine. Now for coat of wax.

How long did it take you to get it puRdy?

93 190
        John 14:6
        2 Peter 1:3–8
        Matthew 6:1-4

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
          Looks good. You cut to clean gel (I hope), smoothed it out, and made it shine. Now for coat of wax.

How long did it take you to get it puRdy?

Probably about 40-50 hours. The wet sanding is dirty and takes a while to get rid of the old decal ghosting. Doing the cutting/compounding is like wrestling an alligator. I was worn out about 4 weekends in a row.

I waxed it last weekend, it's ready to go. The glaze revealed a few scratches that I couldn't see because of the oxidation so I'm already building a project list for cold weather. It's time to put it in the water !

Comment

Probably about 40-50 hours. The wet sanding is dirty and takes a while to get rid of the old decal ghosting. Doing the cutting/compounding is like wrestling an alligator. I was worn out about 4 weekends in a row.

I waxed it last weekend, it's ready to go. The glaze revealed a few scratches that I couldn't see because of the oxidation so I'm already building a project list for cold weather. It's time to put it in the water !
            That is about what I would have expected. I have read where some folks here post an 8 hour job.

Looks good and from what you have stated, the oxidation is gone (not to return...the importance of cutting down to clean gel), so keep it waxed good. Looks great.

Thanks for the feedback.

93 190

Comment

8 hours per stage, maybe. 8 hours for 800 grit sanding, 8 hours for 1500, etc
              Last edited by dpb185; 03-30-2021, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Here's interior pictures. Looks original. The boat was one owner by the way.

Name:	Boat Interior Bow.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2410011

Name:	Boat Interior Center.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2410012

Name:	Boat Interior Rear.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2410013

Comment

Looks good.

A friend of mine just bought a 97 one-owner 205 DD / 211 hours / LT-1. His interior was in great condition as well.

So I have to ask...since this is a V-drive, are you going to hang a tower?

93 190

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
                    Looks good.

A friend of mine just bought a 97 one-owner / 211 hours / LT-1. His interior was in great condition as well.

So I have to ask...since this is a V-drive, are you going to hang a tower?

Yes, it a V-drive. No tower for me, wife and I are old school single ski, get off my lawn with that wake barge types. We would have looked at more of a pure ski hull but we have 4 kids and a Chocolate Lab so we need the extra seating. Figured this was a good boat for us. We actually looked at these years ago at the ATL boat show when we were first married so there is some nostalgia involved, too.

Comment

Yes, it a V-drive. No tower for me, wife and I are old school single ski, get off my lawn with that wake barge types. We would have looked at more of a pure ski hull but we have 4 kids and a Chocolate Lab so we need the extra seating. Figured this was a good boat for us. We actually looked at these years ago at the ATL boat show when we were first married so there is some nostalgia involved, too.
                      Good answer. You will make your Mom proud.

Good on you!

93 190

Comment

Great boat. Great job on the wetsanding/ buffing. And glad to see no tower on that classic. (from someone who has had a tower or mini on most boats)
                        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

Working...
                        X