• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDahler
    replied
    Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
    Interesting and thank you for the note.

So are you going to bore over or rebuild to stock?

Do you happen to have a photo of the clogged water metering holes?

This is good stuff right here.

The engine was in very good shape for it's age. I just ball honed the cylinders they came out looking like new. I did not want to upset the factory balance on the rotating assembly I was able to buy a good used standard piston and rod assembly off the same year model corvette LT1 engine on ebay $30 this was a win made the decision to go back stock the best choice. I soda blasted the top's of the pistons and the ring groves to remove all traces of carbon this made them look like new.
    I removed the freeze plugs and cam bearings and power washed the block. I scraped all the scale from The inside of the water jacket and removed more impeller blade shards wedged between the cylinders.

I did not take any pictures of the old head gaskets.

Leave a comment:

• 2RLAKE
    replied
    wow ... love this thread!!!!

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    Originally posted by RDahler View Post
    The rings were intact as well as the broken ring land at first I did not notice it was broke. when I removed the compression rings the ring land just fell out. There was no scoring and the rest of the piston looked normal. The cylinders were standard I ran a Bore Gauge threw all the cylinders and they all fell with in OEM service specifications. I also checked the ring end gap it was in the middle of the spec. I think root cause of this broken ring land was caused by a over heat event and one of the compression rings end gaps expanded and touched. A contributing issue I found all the 1/4 inch water metering holes in the head gaskets were plugged with shards of old water pump Impeller blades. The LT1 might benefit from some kind of a strainer to trap the water impeller broken blades.
    Interesting and thank you for the note.

So are you going to bore over or rebuild to stock?

Do you happen to have a photo of the clogged water metering holes?

This is good stuff right here.

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    The rings were intact as well as the broken ring land at first I did not notice it was broke. when I removed the compression rings the ring land just fell out. There was no scoring and the rest of the piston looked normal. The cylinders were standard I ran a Bore Gauge threw all the cylinders and they all fell with in OEM service specifications. I also checked the ring end gap it was in the middle of the spec. I think root cause of this broken ring land was caused by a over heat event and one of the compression rings end gaps expanded and touched. A contributing issue I found all the 1/4 inch water metering holes in the head gaskets were plugged with shards of old water pump Impeller blades. The LT1 might benefit from some kind of a strainer to trap the water impeller broken blades.

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    The engine only had 775 hours it would crank right up and appeared to be running properly. The plan was to do a leak down compression test and a visual inspection now that I had it out of the boat if it passes clean it up and repaint it.
    Things do not always go as planed it failed the compression test cylinder #1 was low.
    New plan take the engine apart and figure out what is causing the low compression on #1.
    Last photo tells the story (obviously). Wonder where the rest of the ring got off to?

Are the walls in that cylinder scored?

Is there a crack on the piston head?

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    1994 Protour 190 Restoration

The engine only had 775 hours it would crank right up and appeared to be running properly. The plan was to do a leak down compression test and a visual inspection now that I had it out of the boat if it passes clean it up and repaint it.
    Things do not always go as planed it failed the compression test cylinder #1 was low.
    New plan take the engine apart and figure out what is causing the low compression on #1.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    Sounds like the end of pickup tube is to high in the sump, If it is made like my 1994 fuel cell with a rubber coupling and a pick up screen I would suspect the rubber coupling inside the fuel cell has detached from the pickup tube. The quick fix buy a new pickup up tube make sure to cut the length so that it is about 3/8 to 1/2 off the bottom of the sump when installed do a search on moeller marine replacement fuel pickup.

Leave a comment:

• mikeg205
    replied
    Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
    The fuel tank is mislabeled. At least for our 94. Since the pickup is not on the bottom, there is approx 5 gallons you can’t really use. So that is really “E”.
    My 95 starts sputtering at 3/8s full. Even with a sump, the suction of the fuel pump, causes a vortex and boat runs like crap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied

I hung plumb bobs on the front of the engine and rear of the transmission to mark the exact location of the engine. This will let me preset the engine and transmission mounts back to there original position or at least in the ball park.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied

Next I removed the LT1 engine and Power Slot transmission from the hull.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    Hi Bret
    1994 Mastercraft Sponsored Pro Skier Jeff Rodgers this was his boat.

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    I do agree with your thinking on the screen on the end of the pick up and almost removed it during the rebuild. The rubber hose that is used to connect it was hard to source it had to be rated for fuel submerge. It just fell apart when I touched it I guess 26 years is to long to be submerged in fuel.
    On this fuel cell the pickup and fuel level probe extend down in to a removable compartment that isolates them from the main fuel supply by a small 1/4 hole used to keep it filled. This is used to keep the fuel pickup submerged and the engine running in hard turns.
    All the trash that had collected over years had collected out side of the compartment and the screen was clean. The marine anti siphon valve attached at the top of the pick up and is located before the external in line filter.
    The reason I kept the screen I had a bad experience with trash collecting in the anti siphon valve on my 88 190 the engine would randomly quit and after sitting for about 10 minutes it would restart and run like nothing had happened. The trash would slowly work it's way back down the pickup tube as we sat. Then the process would repeat some times every other trip to the lake some times two or three times wile at the lake a real PITA.
    Last edited by RDahler; 05-28-2021, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bret
    replied
    Which Pro Skier had the boat and set a world record at the time, sorry my days offshore have clouded my memory.

Leave a comment:

• waterlogged882
    replied
    When I disassembled My fuel cell the 1/2 inch pickup tube was connected to a funnel shaped pickup with a fine screen on the bottom of it by a short rubber hose with two clamps. It was positioned 3/8 inch off the bottom of the tank. With this configuration I would suspect the amount of unusable fuel is between one or two gallons at the most.
    Agree.

For me and at that point, the screen comes out. One less thing to potentially cause a fuel supply issue.

I figure anything that comes through will stop at the fuel filter.

Leave a comment:

• RDahler
    replied
    When I disassembled My fuel cell the 1/2 inch pickup tube was connected to a funnel shaped pickup with a fine screen on the bottom of it by a short rubber hose with two clamps. It was positioned 3/8 inch off the bottom of the tank. With this configuration I would suspect the amount of unusable fuel is between one or two gallons at the most.
    Last edited by RDahler; 05-27-2021, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X