1987 PS190 Gray/Black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 PS190 Gray/Black

I guess this is where I'll start my resto thread.
    https://djswithoutborders.net/2021/10/15/prostar-190/
    The plan is to take it in stages, in an attempt to minimize downtime and get back on the water next season with a well-running, OK-looking boat. Ideally I end up with a boat capable of moving under its own power and an interior that doesn't make the, uh, less enthusiastic folks recoil in horror at the various stains and smells of a boat that spent some hard time outside.

I can only speculate on how it was stored, but I'm pretty sure there should not be leaves and compost behind the side panels where the rear seat goes in.

First thing was winterizing, because it's Halloween and we're about to get a hard freeze here in MI. I did the Indmar-recommended no-antifreeze version, because I have this weekend to get it done, along with several other mandatory home repairs. All the water is drained out of the block and the manifold, the impeller is removed, the j-tube is empty, and I have a shopping list of steel drain plugs to replace with brass ones.

So far, the general plan has been this:
    • Pull the interior: seats, panels, doghouse, bilge cover
    • Pull the swim deck for cleanup
    • Winterize
    • Pull the carb for rebuild (intake is covered with a bolted-on piece of wood and a plastic gasket)
    • Have it shrink-wrapped (for outside storage)

I'll post pics as I take them. Thanks to everyone who posted restoration threads previously. They've been a huge help in planning!

Originally posted by tangodelta313 View Post
    I guess this is where I'll start my resto thread.
    https://djswithoutborders.net/2021/10/15/prostar-190/
    The plan is to take it in stages, in an attempt to minimize downtime and get back on the water next season with a well-running, OK-looking boat. Ideally I end up with a boat capable of moving under its own power and an interior that doesn't make the, uh, less enthusiastic folks recoil in horror at the various stains and smells of a boat that spent some hard time outside.

I can only speculate on how it was stored, but I'm pretty sure there should not be leaves and compost behind the side panels where the rear seat goes in.

First thing was winterizing, because it's Halloween and we're about to get a hard freeze here in MI. I did the Indmar-recommended no-antifreeze version, because I have this weekend to get it done, along with several other mandatory home repairs. All the water is drained out of the block and the manifold, the impeller is removed, the j-tube is empty, and I have a shopping list of steel drain plugs to replace with brass ones.

So far, the general plan has been this:
    • Pull the interior: seats, panels, doghouse, bilge cover
    • Pull the swim deck for cleanup
    • Winterize
    • Pull the carb for rebuild (intake is covered with a bolted-on piece of wood and a plastic gasket)
    • Have it shrink-wrapped (for outside storage)

I'll post pics as I take them. Thanks to everyone who posted restoration threads previously. They've been a huge help in planning!
    Drain the transmission heat exchanger; remove plug and/or hose.

I'll pass on the external link.

93 190

Comment

Thanks! Just after I posted this, I half-remembered the transmission cooler and I thought, I wonder if that has a plug? It does, I removed it and put it in the "winter" bag.

Comment

Originally posted by waterlogged882 View Post
        Drain the transmission heat exchanger; remove plug and/or hose.

I'll pass on the external link.

ikr

https://network-tools.com/whois/#sea...se10toip=false
        -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Are external links not a thing here? I didn't know, apologies.

Can't blame you for not wanting to visit a strange link.

The link is harmless, it's just my Wordpress blog. I paid the extra scratch to anonymize the WHOIS registry so I'm not inundated with spam calls about buying my domain.

Comment

Yeah with all the security issues these days it's not popular to post external links. TT has gotten several attacks recently with bot trying to create accounts so hitting an external link from someone with 2 or 3 posts isn't the smartest thing someone could do.

Comment

no biggie, just run the URL by virustotal dot com and check it first

nice looking boat!

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                Yeah with all the security issues these days it's not popular to post external links. TT has gotten several attacks recently with bot trying to create accounts so hitting an external link from someone with 2 or 3 posts isn't the smartest thing someone could do.
                x10..
                Attached Files
                -Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

Peeling off the decals. 3M eraser wheel on the way. I'm finding that the decals with a silver/metallic backing are significantly more resistant to removal than the shiny tape stripes.

Comment

Keep the pics coming! A picture is definitely worth 1,000 words...although my wife may not agree with me (I've heard her talking to her sisters on the phone).
                    I love refurbs!
                    Jeffer

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."

Comment

Peeling off the decals. 3M eraser wheel on the way. I'm finding that the decals with a silver/metallic backing are significantly more resistant to removal than the shiny tape stripes.
                      Try some plastic razor blades and a heat gun. They'll peel right off.
                      2000 Prostar 205V

Comment

Quick update here: The 3M eraser wheel is magic. Registration numbers and stubborn boat name decals on the transom (is it a transom if there's no outboard attached?) were wiped away in minutes. It takes a minute to find the groove with it and expose as much wheel surface to the decals as possible, but it's amazing. Best saved for when you can't peel the decals away in large sections using the heat gun, because it's not cheap.

If you're looking for an eraser wheel comparison of 3M, fluted, and no-name knockoff with high information density and multiple axes of measurement (time, money, temperature, effectiveness), this YouTube video was the best one I've found:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_2DYBwoTU

Comment

Quick update here: The 3M eraser wheel is magic. Registration numbers and stubborn boat name decals on the transom (is it a transom if there's no outboard attached?)

yes

were wiped away in minutes. It takes a minute to find the groove with it and expose as much wheel surface to the decals as possible, but it's amazing. Best saved for when you can't peel the decals away in large sections using the heat gun, because it's not cheap.

If you're looking for an eraser wheel comparison of 3M, fluted, and no-name knockoff with high information density and multiple axes of measurement (time, money, temperature, effectiveness), this YouTube video was the best one I've found:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y_2DYBwoTU
                          That 3M Stripper wheel is a great tool to have around.
                          93 190

Comment

Working...
                          X