Winterization Gas Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mainely Wake View Post

Since you clearly have no boat ownership experience let me educate you. THE ONLY WAY to store your boat is on pillows. You lift the boat off the trailer then position some pillows, (any kind will do) between the boat and the trailer bunks. Make sure you have enough pillows to cover all the bunks, you don't want the boat to be uncomfortable through the winter. Then slowly lower the boat down. Some people will say to keep the stern up some will say have the bow up, but they are wrong. Perfectly level is the way to go. Extra points if you have soft music playing in the garage.
    Mainley Wake. I am surpised you missed out:

Putting a thick warm woollen blanket over engine and under engine cover (To stop condensation corroding engine electronics.)

Using Cotton Duvet Covers and pillow covers over seas etvc(to eliminate mould problems)

Putting a cover over the cover so the cover doesnt get dirty.

A nice touch is if "all bedding is a set" and does not clash with boat colour scheme.

Throughout the winter periodic visits to reassure boat "things will improve" in a few months is also re-assuring.

"Look after the boat and the boat will look after you."

Comment

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post

I can't profess to knowing all the answers to all of your questions, but this ones easy, no argument:

Bikini.
      You win.
      If she don't shine , she ain't mine

Comment

Since I run premium non-ethanol in the boat, I siphon as much as I can, into gas cans, and then dump it into my car tanks and all my small engine equipment for the fall. And dump a can of seafoam into the tank.

Then in the spring, I start with a fresh tank of gas.
        Last edited by carlsonwa; 10-07-2022, 11:24 AM.

Comment

There’s a bIg difference between ethanol and non-ethanol gas. My lawnmower will attest to how badly the ethanol gas degrades after just a few months. I always use Stay-bil for the winter regardless of the gas.

Comment

Interesting thing with the Nautiques, they actually recommended running Stabil 360 Marine all the time. I've been doing it since I bought the boat and really can't tell you I notice the difference but will say it's always ready to be stored.

Comment

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
              Interesting thing with the Nautiques, they actually recommended running Stabil 360 Marine all the time. I've been doing it since I bought the boat and really can't tell you I notice the difference but will say it's always ready to be stored.
              id been using the regular stabil for years, but this winter am going to try the marine. always running regular gas from the pump with 10% or whatever ethanol. lets see how that goes. i couldnt quite spot the difference between the two on their site, other than the color. but lets see

Comment

Yep ethanol fuel too except on Cumberland trip. I've rebuilt my carb and didn't find anything hateful either. Was amazingly clean inside the bowls. Ok, Antifreeze or no antifreeze just drain? I have always sucked antifreeze up on fogging, thermostat open. Then I watch this video today of that Ron from Skiboat parts .com. He says no antifreeze. Then you have Vince with his engine in his driveway saying to use antifreeze. I think my original manual says just drain is adequate. Am I wasting money on Antifreeze? Peace of mind is inexpensive is how I see it I guess. Storage is optimal.

Comment

Yeah you'll get mixed recommendations with dry block versus antifreeze. There's even a couple guys here that will drain, fill with antifreeze then drain again. I used to have strong opinions about this but have mellowed over the years. On my boat and the ones I help out with it's drain then fill -100 marine antifreeze and that stuff got really expensive this year. I think I paid $17 a gallon and used 3 gallons. For the ballast system it's RV cherry juice. This is what allows me to sleep at night. If someone want's to dry block and it works for them I see no problem with that either but I personally don't want anything to do with this method if I'm doing the winterizing for friends or family. I'll only do what works for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X